Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking build: order of spending points

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Tanking build: order of spending points

Steijn
12.16.2011 , 05:24 AM | #1
Hi guys,

For PvE tanking I was thinking of this build:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0GrdorogzZMsbZb.1

My question is: should I spend all of my first 31 points directly into the Shield Tech Tree? Or should I start with putting points in something like puncture, which will boost my threat and dps considerably.

Any advice on the order of spending points?

Thanks in advance!

EzFlyer
12.16.2011 , 11:46 AM | #2
question - i'm still leaning all the tanking stuff for BH (my first day was yesterday, tanked black talon twice, that's it)

is the 2 pts in rocket punch really better than maybe.. "advanced tools" (reduction in cooldown of flamethrower/grapple) or even "hot iron" or something?

then again, i guess the punch is better for single target, maybe advanced tools for more ae tanking?

midnitemonster
12.16.2011 , 02:24 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by EzFlyer View Post
question - i'm still leaning all the tanking stuff for BH (my first day was yesterday, tanked black talon twice, that's it)

is the 2 pts in rocket punch really better than maybe.. "advanced tools" (reduction in cooldown of flamethrower/grapple) or even "hot iron" or something?

then again, i guess the punch is better for single target, maybe advanced tools for more ae tanking?
Look at your tanking tree, and see how many talents are effected by Rocket Punch. Hot Iron only effects Flame Burst which does piss dmg compared to Rocket Punch and Retractable Blade which you don't get as a Shiedltech. You will have plenty of gear that adds to accuracy as you get farther in the game. From my experience Grapple does have some situational benefits in PvE. However I found that I mostly used it for PvP.

Stick with Iron Fist.

To the OP If you plan on running Flashpoints often, I would fill out the Shieldtech tree first. At least until you get Jet Charge. Remember, you are a tank first and tank second.
"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."

Kollbjorn
12.16.2011 , 07:38 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Steijn View Post
Hi guys,

For PvE tanking I was thinking of this build:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0GrdorogzZMsbZb.1

My question is: should I spend all of my first 31 points directly into the Shield Tech Tree? Or should I start with putting points in something like puncture, which will boost my threat and dps considerably.

Any advice on the order of spending points?

Thanks in advance!
I went Shield Tech first. Talents like Ion Overload and Flame Shield are big DPS boosts and are very good to get quickly.

Bunny_Bait
12.17.2011 , 06:32 PM | #5
I will never get why people playing tanks take talents that add DPS.

Sloyo
12.17.2011 , 08:01 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Bunny_Bait View Post
I will never get why people playing tanks take talents that add DPS.
Lol because dps=threat

Methane
12.17.2011 , 08:48 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Sloyo View Post
Lol because dps=threat
Yup, all the Shieldtech talents that boost damage are keyed towards improved adaptability and a balance between burst initial treat gain and steady threat generation through flat % bonuses. Most of your mitigation will be coming from proper gear choices where threat will fall down the priority list. If there weren't percentage bonuses applied to threat in talents than a tanks aggro generation would not scale properly with gear levels. Makes it so that Bioware can distinguish 2 classes of gear, for instance one with high aim/endurance ratio for DPS, and one with low aim/endurance ratio for tanks.

Steijn
12.18.2011 , 04:07 AM | #8
Thanks guys, guess I will put my first 31 in Shield Tech. Also because Heat Blast is a great way to dump heat. Cheers

cdstephen
12.18.2011 , 10:54 PM | #9
Great build, one I plan on using if I plan on tanking. I'm still debating whether Cardio Package might be worth points....I'm not sure how much health you gain with that much of an endurance boost.
The HK droid that absolutely no one likes.

Methane
12.18.2011 , 11:58 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by cdstephen View Post
Great build, one I plan on using if I plan on tanking. I'm still debating whether Cardio Package might be worth points....I'm not sure how much health you gain with that much of an endurance boost.
Kinda depends on the content and the group you end up with. If you find yourself dropping dead from damage yet you are holding aggro without any people pulling off ya, swap some points into Cardio. If you are having trouble holding aggro, and not due to rotation issues or overzealous dps, you should probably take a few more points in threat improvement talents. Mostly this will all depend on how your gear relates to the content and the other players.