Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Windows 8 and SWTOR

ThaNuls
03.01.2012 , 09:28 AM | #1
I just thought I would post since I did not see a post on the first or second page of posts that I have been running Windows 8 since the Developer Preview release and installed the Consumer Preview Release last night and have found no problems running SWTOR or any other game for that matter.

I did find I had more system resources available to me due to the fact that Windows 8 is faster OS that uses less resources than its predecessors.

NOTE OF CAUTION: If you do not know how to fix minor computer issues never download a beta of an OS.

Adding a couple of tips here:

-Win 8 comes with its own built in anti virus in the Windows Defender, if you want to use Avast (known to work in Win 8) or the beta of the new Norton you need to turn off or disable windows defender or you will have crash issues.
- Windows 7 drivers work for most devices in Windows 8
- You will need to reset your properties on the SWTOR to run as an admin if you are running it as an admin
- Can not be uninstalled back to Windows 7 if you do not like it, you will have to do a system restore or reload the OS
- 64 bit version needs 2 GB of ram to run smoothly 32 bit needs 1 GB
- Can be installed via web from Microsoft's website as an upgrade but can not be ran as an upgrade using the ISO format as you will lose your programs and settings.

Will add more later as I find things

harkinsteven
03.01.2012 , 09:33 AM | #2
Have you noticed any better performance with SWTOR? Thinking about dual booting it to test it out.

TheOnlyKyrenS
03.01.2012 , 09:34 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by harkinsteven View Post
Have you noticed any better performance with SWTOR? Thinking about dual booting it to test it out.
It uses less resources so i don't see why it would. My old dell inspiron 8600 could run itf i really wanted it to and it only has about a gig of ram.
Quote: Originally Posted by corbanite View Post
oh great more constructive criticism.. god knows why some people think there are haters on this forum

ThaNuls
03.01.2012 , 09:36 AM | #4
harkin to be honest I run an I7 with 32 GB of ram and an NVIDIA 580 GTX so hard to gauge as SWTOR runs very well on my system.

You can not dual boot to load Windows 8 according to the reports I have read and one of the techs who work for me. You also can not uninstall it back to Windows 7 will need to restore the computer but everyone (I hope) know the importance of backing things up

BionicChipmunk
03.01.2012 , 10:52 AM | #5
WIN 8 is supposed to run with less resources than Win 7. SWTOR runs on my Dell laptop which has an i3 in it. Granted it isnt ideal but it runs. I think SWTOR (if the game lasts that long) will run on Win 8 without much issue.
If into the security recordings you go, only pain will you find.

"Flintstone", Merc BH on The Courageous server. Look me up if you need a group or just somebody to do quests with

ThaNuls
03.01.2012 , 11:07 AM | #6
I did find and am updating the thread that you need to make sure you are running both the game and any voice chat such as vent, TS, Mumble as admin or you will have to switch between the programs to use them (was same in Win 7)

Also switching to the desktop from SWTOR was hitting the windows key but now brings up the metro screen. So you have to alt tab to get to desktop if you want to open a web page or something while playing any full screen game.

CecilTellyn
03.01.2012 , 11:12 AM | #7
Wow... kind of surprised to hear that, what with Windows 8 being all "omg we have to support tablets and desktops can go to hell!!!!!!111111eleventyone" (at least that's what I've heard about it). Nice to see that it can still run bigger applications than Angry Birds.

And yes, I know it is supposed to support both but from what I've heard, it seems to be heavily biased toward tablets. Hopefully what I've heard is wrong though

xShadowxs
03.01.2012 , 11:13 AM | #8
running windows 8 atm game runs fine and it wouldnt run any better then it did before the game still only uses so much system ram anyway so the poster saying he has 32gbs well great for you swtor doesnt use the 32gbs your running it useses maybe 2gbs id give to say maybe 4 doubtful , lets look at skyrim it runs off 2gbs name a game that requires more then 2gbs there isnt very many so this whole post is a pointless when the game only uses so much memory anyway game engine isnt set to use more resources while running so yep again

ThaNuls
03.01.2012 , 11:18 AM | #9
Shadows I agree SWTOR does not use a lot of resources, the point I was making was I couldn't gauge anything because of my system resources are very high.

The OS itself uses less resources than Win 7 did but that is because Microsoft wants the same OS for tablets, PCs etc, I wouldn't be surprised at some point if you didn't see ports of the Win 8 OS for tablets running Androids etc now.