Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Servers have no community because there is no cross planet communication

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Servers have no community because there is no cross planet communication

Farmbuyer
03.13.2012 , 09:50 PM | #21
They can be tabbed. Or rather, each tab has its own list of displayed channels. Right-click on the tab and play with the settings; uncheck the things you don't want to see.

I tend to move all public channels off the main NPC conversation tab because... there is no traffic in public channels, because there are no people in the planetary zones. Might as well avoid potential noise when trying to follow conversations.

When I'm back on the Fleet and there's a chance of actual public chat, I display the secondary tab instead. Can also filter out a lot of the annoying system messages that way too.

Benfea
03.13.2012 , 10:13 PM | #22
When I first started playing Star Trek Online, I didn't like the way their servers are set up. Having played this game after playing STO, I am starting to miss the STO way of doing things.

In STO, there is only one "shard". Every single person is playing on the same "shard". Every single person is part of the same auction house. Everyone can send personal messages and in-game email to everyone else logged in at the same time.

The downside to this is that Cryptic achieved this by aggressively instancing everything, even the space stations (the equivalent of cities in a normal MMORPG). The downside to this is that areas that are traditional community hubs in other MMORPGs feel strangely desolate and underpopulated in STO. Another drawback is that EVERY name has to be unique to everyone in the entire game, not just to your particular server "shard". If STO had as many players as this game, there would be a lot of people named XoXoXoXoKirrrrr***kXoXoXo or something.

On the other hand, in game communications, the in game auction house, and grouping all receive obvious benefits from this arrangement.

Unfortunately, I do not think we will ever see that approach done in this game. Making such changes involves big alterations to very low level code that affects just about every other piece of code in the game. It would simply be too massive an undertaking, even for a MMORPG with a large customer base like this one. The more post-release content they put out, the more unreasonable low level changes like this become.
"It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange."
-Takeshi Kaga

Pyranja
03.14.2012 , 07:20 AM | #23
if you want a LFG Channel ,create a channel with the /create LFG command.
you will be suprised about that the most servers already use one!

Scorpienne
03.14.2012 , 10:25 AM | #24
I must respectfully disagree with you about a dearth of cross-planet comms.

Guild channels are galaxy-wide.

Custom channels are galaxy-wide. Most servers have them, particularly RP servers.

I think I might even also disagree with you that cross-planet comms are needed to bolster the "community", but that's a seperate discussion...

Paige

PS

Sanctum of the Exalted (RP-PvE US EST)

Republicnet is the Republic IC channel, and Republicooc is the Republic OOC channel. These are server-wide, like guild chat, which is why they’re better than general.

Type this into your chat box to join: /cjoin Republicnet
Type this into your chat box to join: /cjoin Republicooc

Imperialnet and Imperialooc are the Imperial equivalents.
Type this into your chat box to join: /cjoin Imperialnet
Type this into your chat box to join: /cjoin Imperialooc

Scorpienne
03.14.2012 , 10:26 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by moowart View Post
Because any newbie or anyone not in the know would have insta directions on how to find these channels right?
Hopefully, the guilds, boards, and people on this server advertise the channels as appropriate.

Paige