Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Servers have no community because there is no cross planet communication

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Servers have no community because there is no cross planet communication

caultonpos
02.29.2012 , 10:30 PM | #1
Unlike other MMOs the community is pretty poor because everyone is split across so many planets and there is no way to communicate on a server across factions. Perhaps they did that to reduce trolling and gold spammers, but I kind of miss those personalities that come across.

It also means no open world pvp because no one can shout out 'hey there is a 50 on tatooine' where people on Fleet could hear them.

Its a shame, it doesnt have the feel of a classic MMO without the community and communication.

Shlamorel
02.29.2012 , 10:53 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by caultonpos View Post
Unlike other MMOs the community is pretty poor because everyone is split across so many planets and there is no way to communicate on a server across factions. Perhaps they did that to reduce trolling and gold spammers, but I kind of miss those personalities that come across.

It also means no open world pvp because no one can shout out 'hey there is a 50 on tatooine' where people on Fleet could hear them.

Its a shame, it doesnt have the feel of a classic MMO without the community and communication.
I don't disagree with you at all - let me get that out there first.

I just want to point out, though, how one of the biggest complaints about a different, popular MMO (not saying you were one of the complainers - just saying there are others who are) was criticized because no players had incentive/reason to go out in the world and everyone was stuck in the capitol cities.

So while I agree with you 100% about the lack of community, I just find it interesting that some people find that people being spread out over different planets to reflect a rich environment, whereas others perceive this as having no community and needing some central hub.

Like I said though, I agree with ya. Just interesting how people perceive things differently.
Shlamorel Sta'raeth - Jedi Seer
Dragonbrand
------------
I vow to try and respond in a constructive and positive manner

Kelcan
02.29.2012 , 11:11 PM | #3
Totally agree. A server wide LFG channel would be nice to...
----------------------
Admiral Caesar

"For the Republic!"

Badomens
03.01.2012 , 06:08 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelcan View Post
Totally agree. A server wide LFG channel would be nice to...
LFG channel would be the future Spam Central. I am not exactly looking forward to people spamming chat but I am worried it will happen here eventually. Actually so far I haven't seen any spammers in this game but maybe its because I haven't spent all my time on Fleet.

Artharin
03.01.2012 , 08:06 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Badomens View Post
LFG channel would be the future Spam Central. I am not exactly looking forward to people spamming chat but I am worried it will happen here eventually. Actually so far I haven't seen any spammers in this game but maybe its because I haven't spent all my time on Fleet.
Spamming the channel with what? Looking for group requests? I'd hardly call that spamming. Most servers in LOTRO have a GLFF channel that does wonders for finding groups. A high level sees a lowbie looking for a group for something he needs on an alt.

I don't see the problem here.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. ~ C.S. Lewis

ConspicuousTree
03.01.2012 , 08:11 AM | #6
Did you know you can start your own channel?

Roleplayers frequently use factionwide channels (e.g. EmpireRP / RepublicRP / LFRP).

If so many people want cross planet communication, get a /real/ server community going by compounding them all into a snazzy little channel. It'll even feel better because you organised it yourself instead of waiting for Bioware to do it for you.
The Hale Legacy - The Progenitor

Artharin
03.01.2012 , 08:48 AM | #7
Thanks for that info. I'll see if I can get one started on Kath Hound.

Thanks
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. ~ C.S. Lewis

moowart
03.01.2012 , 01:00 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ConspicuousTree View Post
Did you know you can start your own channel?

Roleplayers frequently use factionwide channels (e.g. EmpireRP / RepublicRP / LFRP).

If so many people want cross planet communication, get a /real/ server community going by compounding them all into a snazzy little channel. It'll even feel better because you organised it yourself instead of waiting for Bioware to do it for you.
Because any newbie or anyone not in the know would have insta directions on how to find these channels right?
If I have offended you with my opinion, you should hear the ones I keep to myself!

Zosimah
03.01.2012 , 01:06 PM | #9
The empire over on "the hutt" have some game-wide custom channels as well as our own server forum. It's very possible to have/build a community, just takes a little work from the players. While most of us are conditioned to have the dev's hand us everything, in this case they've given us (some of) the tools and are letting us develop as we see best for our servers.
The Universe is indifferent, she makes no distinction between good and evil.

ArtMonster
03.01.2012 , 01:13 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Badomens View Post
LFG channel would be the future Spam Central. .....
at least it would be...something.