Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reverse Engineering on stacks

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Reverse Engineering on stacks

Kytea
02.29.2012 , 07:59 PM | #1
If I have three medpacks (Biochem), to maximize my chances of getting a blue recipe, is it better to:
1-RE once on the stack of three?
2-Split into three single stacks, RE on each?

Thanks

KilmarFyrewynd
03.01.2012 , 08:31 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Kytea View Post
If I have three medpacks (Biochem), to maximize my chances of getting a blue recipe, is it better to:
1-RE once on the stack of three?
2-Split into three single stacks, RE on each?

Thanks
1. It is uncertain that RE'ing stacks will roll every item in the stack (though I'm pretty sure it does)
2. Let's say you have a stack of 20, if you succeed a RE in the first one, you've lost 19 that didn't need to be RE'd

That's why I tend to RE one at a time for level 48+ items. If they are low level items, it doesn't really matter.

Philosomanic
03.01.2012 , 08:39 AM | #3
Yeah, I go with #2 above. I don't want to RE any more than I have to, if it's something I can sell.

The odds are slim, but it'd be nice to get a dev response about how RE odds work with stacks. Does it roll on each item? Does it roll once, but with stacking odds (i.e. RE-ing a stack of 2 is twice as likely to crit as a single one)? Or does it only roll once per stack, and screw us over?
PvP Dacromir -- Vanguard -- Level 50 PvE
The Imp'Crusher Legacy
<Something Offensive>
The Bastion

pmiles
03.01.2012 , 08:49 AM | #4
My bet is that it treats it as one item even if it's in a stack, so basically you waste the other items in said stack. Reason I believe that to be the case is that it doesn't return mats beyond what one would get for a single RE'd item. So if it's a stack of 10 and you get 1 mat item back, that means 9 other items were totally wasted.

Separate the items out before REing them. That ensures the RE isn't wasted.

Jerid
03.01.2012 , 11:41 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by pmiles View Post
My bet is that it treats it as one item even if it's in a stack, so basically you waste the other items in said stack. Reason I believe that to be the case is that it doesn't return mats beyond what one would get for a single RE'd item. So if it's a stack of 10 and you get 1 mat item back, that means 9 other items were totally wasted.

Separate the items out before REing them. That ensures the RE isn't wasted.
That isn't true in my expeience. I've gotten back more materials then I'd use to create a single item before when I've REd a stack.

Note: I'm CHEAP and usualy only RE stacks of 3 or at most 5, but I've definatly gotten back more of a material then it takes to make 1 before. And I definatly don't RE stacks of blues.