New Oceanic servers for Aus/NZ ONLY

nokstar

Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Indonesia all have worse latencies to the Oceanic server than US West servers. I reside in Singapore and the latency lowest was 380. My usual is 220 on the Swiftsure. Sounds like some terribad ISP routing. I had my hopes up... now they are destroyed.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly sure that's not bioware's fault and I remember a few topics over the course of the last weeks mentioning this would happen and that most asian people should stay on the west coast servers because of this, unless their main concern is not ping - but people to play with (different time-zones and all)

I'm fairly sure that's not bioware's fault and I remember a few topics over the course of the last weeks mentioning this would happen and that most asian people should stay on the west coast servers because of this, unless their main concern is not ping - but people to play with (different time-zones and all)

I know it's not their fault. ISP routing into Aus is bad, pretty much means Aus's ISPs are bad.

They do need to put up a warning for future new players who purchase the game post "asia-pacific" launch that if they don't reside in aus/nz they are really better off rolling on the US ones. Just reading off the adverts and stuff can be quite misleading and they might end up thinking 400ms is the norm lol!

They do need to put up a warning for future new players who purchase the game post "asia-pacific" launch that if they don't reside in aus/nz they are really better off rolling on the US ones. Just reading off the adverts and stuff can be quite misleading and they might end up thinking 400ms is the norm lol!

Agreed. It would be a very sad scenario if potential future players left because they were pinging 350 to an oceanic server not knowing that they would be better off on the unofficial Oceanic US West coast servers.

I'd be curious in learning for from Oceanic players on this, working on a report of the Oceanic launch for Ask A Jedi.

Let me know if it improves, and would love to hear if this is affecting all Oceanic players.

Keep in mind it may not be BioWare's fault, and things may still be working themselves out.

I'd be curious in learning for from Oceanic players on this, working on a report of the Oceanic launch for Ask A Jedi.

Let me know if it improves, and would love to hear if this is affecting all Oceanic players.

Keep in mind it may not be BioWare's fault, and things may still be working themselves out.

The reports I'm getting in from players I know in game and in guild (spanning Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore, and Japan) ALL of these players say that their pings are worse. The positive reports I've seen are from Aus, NZ, and Tasmania.

So basicly what you'r suggesting if for them to close down the oceanic servers now ? :p

Not at all. As the topic states, right now its only viable for Aus, NZ, and Tas. SG, HK, Malay, Indo, Taiwan, Japan, all suck right now.

Edited by nokstar

Whats the point of playing with people "in your timezone" when your getting latency at 400-500ms which is really unplayable for end game.

Bioware keeps saying that they want to bring us the best experience possible and that was the reason many countries were excluded from the official launch.

Playing with 400-500ms on a server DEDICATED to Asia Pacific is not a good experience.

Edited by BIazeOfGlory

heh, knew they should've just do with "Oceanic", instead of calling it "Asia Pacific" in their news.

edit: okay, just got a report from 2 Singaporean, says their traceroute jumps to 380ms a hop on vocus.net.au.

Edited by Wesgile

My Thread has been closed even though I started this topic earlier than this thread.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=333662

Let me repost.

To all Asian players, especially GMT +8, +9 players.

Please check the pingtime to Australia using pingtest.net before deciding if you want to move to the new Australian servers.

The ping to US West for Asian players are actually BETTER than compared to Australia.

At the very least, create a new character in the new Aus server and see your actual average ping. Level to 10 and play warzones.

Only when you are satisfied with the ping/lag do you decide to migrate to the new server.

Else, in a few months time, you may regret it.

I highly recommend all Asian players to stay in US West. Who knows? Collectively, we may even have more population than Aus players (albeit spread out in various US Servers, if you have not rolled in JJT, Harbinger or swiftsure)

I also urge all North American off-peak, night owls players to play on these three servers as well.

Just to add again, 350 is on the GOOD side, it jumps around 1k randomly and such. I get better ping on the EAST coast servers.

Oh well, in the end, I assume the those of us in Singapore (like me), Hong Kong and such are a much lower demographic than the Aus/NZ so I doubt we will see any movement on Bioware's part about this, which is sad, since some of us might have been playing with Oceanic on US servers, and now that population will migrate to the new servers, leaving the few of us playing on servers during empty times.

At least gathering stuff on Ilum will be easy.

It is obvious why BW name the launch 'Asia pacific' over 'Oceania'.

Asia Pacific covers a bigger region. This allows BW to scam new Asian-players into buying the game, only to find out that the 'Asia Pacific' servers are at unplayable latency:mad:

They dont have to retain those new players. Every extra sales counts to a game that is bleeding subs

Swiftsure and Harbinger may drop some population, but a lot of the Asian big guilds are staying. Rumors are that a few Hong-Kong and Filipino guilds are considering transferring since their pings to the new Aussie servers are decent (200ms).

However for the rest of the regions, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, etc, I believe most players will stay.

It is obvious why BW name the launch 'Asia pacific' over 'Oceania'.

Asia Pacific covers a bigger region. This allows BW to scam new Asian-players into buying the game, only to find out that the 'Asia Pacific' servers are at unplayable latency:mad:

They dont have to retain those new players. Every extra sales counts to a game that is bleeding subs

Exactly, the right to do was to rename it "Oceanic Region" to avoid any confusion as I told them many times.

Most of the players from the real "Asia-Pacific" region won't be transferring there lol.

Edited by corebit

I think the devs should separate between Aus/New Zealand from Singapore/HK, if not players from real Asia Pacific countries would rather remain in Swiftsure for the 200+ ping rather than having a 400+ ping which is unplayable. If any devs see this thread, a reply is much appreciated.

What does the Asia Pacific release mean? I can already play from the Asia Pacific region.

The release in the Asia Pacific region means that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be officially sold in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore.

New servers in the Asia Pacific region will provide a world class game experience to our customers. It will allow them to play with players from the same time zone, bringing the Asia Pacific community together. It will also allow players to take advantage of decreased network latency by placing the game on a regional server.

World class decreased network latency my bawls, what a joke. I get it if its only listed as Australia and its close surrounding neighbouring countries which i am very happy for them as its all good and well but 400+ ms from SG to their servers and u call this world class?

What does the Asia Pacific release mean? I can already play from the Asia Pacific region.

The release in the Asia Pacific region means that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be officially sold in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore.

New servers in the Asia Pacific region will provide a world class game experience to our customers. It will allow them to play with players from the same time zone, bringing the Asia Pacific community together. It will also allow players to take advantage of decreased network latency by placing the game on a regional server.

World class decreased network latency my bawls, what a joke. I get it if its only listed as Australia and its close surrounding neighbouring countries which i am very happy for them as its all good and well but 400+ ms from SG to their servers and u call this world class?

Precisely. Sadly, I doubt they are even going to bother. Usual excuse would be it's not us it's you.

Well, it looks like it really crap for us.

Either 1. Play on a US server which will be almost ghost town during our primetime.

or 2. Play on a AUS server which means double latency.

or 3. Close sub till things get better (hopefully)