Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Theoretical Class Balancing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Theoretical Class Balancing

Toxification
02.28.2012 , 07:53 PM | #1
So I thought I'd compile all my thoughts as to class balance and overall game balance in a single post. This is a highly theoretical post and is currently to be taken with a grain of salt.

Now a concept I'd like to introduce(I guess) would be melee ranged casting abilities in which you can actually move. As well as some spells where you can also cast. It's my opinion that all classes should have at least 2 casted spells.

Currently: Working on a java program, so I can design talents for the skill trees.

Skill Values and Growth
Spoiler

Stealth
Spoiler

Talent Worth and Value
Spoiler

Toxification
02.28.2012 , 07:54 PM | #2
Assassin/Shadow
Damage Skills
Spoiler

Assassin General Changes
Spoiler

Deception/Infiltration
Spoiler

Sorcerer/Sage
Damage Skills
Spoiler

Sorcerer General Changes
Spoiler

Toxification
02.28.2012 , 07:55 PM | #3
Operative/Scoundrel
As far as I'm concerned the operative needs major changes. I'm not sure about how to even start at the moment.

Brainstorming-
The class needs more emphasis on tactical advantages and many of its skills in the trees need a complete revamp. The energy mechanics need a revamp, the idea should be to utilize all of your available energy to deal massive damage and have your total dps reduced because of it. However it's more like use all your energy to get 15% extra damage for a few seconds and then have a massive drop in your dps as you struggle to regenerate 2 energy per second. For the operative(not the sniper) I'd personally like to see energy be a completely static resource. The operative HAS to do burst to survive anyway so they don't really have a choice. The only other option would be to provide them with such massive damage that all the other classes would QQ like crazy because they'd be ****** face in PvP. My opinion? give them a static energy regen of 5 and leave it there.

Tactical advantages would be used to grant 30 seconds of stealth(give or take some time) out of combat, but would increase your movement speed by 15%. This would add to sprint. The general idea here is that you finish killing an enemy and you then stealth up and move on to the group or person, this would be a slight playstyle change for operatives but nothing major.

Damage Skills
Spoiler

Operative General Changes
Spoiler

Concealment
Spoiler

Toxification
02.28.2012 , 07:56 PM | #4
(Marauder/Sentinel)

Toxification
02.28.2012 , 07:58 PM | #5
Mercenary/Commando

Diviciacus
02.29.2012 , 01:07 AM | #6
The problem I have with stealth is that as soon as you are in combat, you get pulled out of stealth.

This means that if you tell your companion to attack something... BOOM pulled out of stealth. It makes stealthing in a pve situation completely pointless. If you open, all the mobs are on you and you die like a ***** because your companion can't possibly taunt five to six mobs with their taunt on a 6 second cd before your health hits 0.

If, on the other hand, you let your companion open, good luck being able to get behind a mob (or even worse, losing the ability to use openers that require stealth). As soon as you damage something, everything your companion isn't actively shooting/stabbing will aggro onto you, especially at low levels when companions have little to no aoe.

Stealth should be changed to function like stealth mechanics in every. other. RPG. ever:
-stealth/unstealth at will outside of combat (also, herp derp the CD on stealth makes no sense because of the following point).
-unable to restealth in combat without using (long?) cooldown abilities, or situationally (ie. being able to restealth if you are in combat with one mob and blind/stun/et cetera it).

This would solve a lot of the problems with stealth being useless mostly, and also make the ability to find stealthed targets much more lucrative. Although I agree that the current implementation should be removed. Mashing an ability that costs next to nothing on a very short CD is mildly overpowered, since it's very obviously a hard counter to stealth classes, which no class should ever have.

I should like to also point out something you glossed over - Shadows/Assassins also have skills that have positional requirements.
Nonne mei fratres Rei Publicae congruitis nobis nostrum humum stananda esse Imperiumve quae omnia speraverimus peregerimusque perdet?

GeoLager
02.29.2012 , 01:14 AM | #7
Balance should be something like:

heals>=range dps>=tanks>=melee dps>=heals

But right now its:

heals>range dps>tanks=melee dps>agents

Toxification
02.29.2012 , 02:18 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Diviciacus View Post
The problem I have with stealth is that as soon as you are in combat, you get pulled out of stealth.

This means that if you tell your companion to attack something... BOOM pulled out of stealth. It makes stealthing in a pve situation completely pointless. If you open, all the mobs are on you and you die like a ***** because your companion can't possibly taunt five to six mobs with their taunt on a 6 second cd before your health hits 0.

If, on the other hand, you let your companion open, good luck being able to get behind a mob (or even worse, losing the ability to use openers that require stealth). As soon as you damage something, everything your companion isn't actively shooting/stabbing will aggro onto you, especially at low levels when companions have little to no aoe.

Stealth should be changed to function like stealth mechanics in every. other. RPG. ever:
-stealth/unstealth at will outside of combat (also, herp derp the CD on stealth makes no sense because of the following point).
-unable to restealth in combat without using (long?) cooldown abilities, or situationally (ie. being able to restealth if you are in combat with one mob and blind/stun/et cetera it).

This would solve a lot of the problems with stealth being useless mostly, and also make the ability to find stealthed targets much more lucrative. Although I agree that the current implementation should be removed. Mashing an ability that costs next to nothing on a very short CD is mildly overpowered, since it's very obviously a hard counter to stealth classes, which no class should ever have.

I should like to also point out something you glossed over - Shadows/Assassins also have skills that have positional requirements.
Aye I have to agree with pretty much all of this, now as a deception assassin primarily I don't find I have issues with dying but that's becuase I'm highly overleveled for the content I'm doing because I'm always queued for PvP.

I'll get more in depth into my stealth concepts when I get around to assassin/shadow and operative/scoundrel balancing.

Toxification
03.06.2012 , 09:30 PM | #9
Finally got my excel spreadsheet set up and all my equations figured out

Time to start pumping out numbers

Shroudveil
03.07.2012 , 07:15 AM | #10
just with a quick glance:

you can't just compare an ability modifier with another if you don't take into account all the benefits you could derive from synergy.

take shock p.e. that you mentioned: tank assassins wreck people with it atm, buffing it more would mean higher threat for pve (which is unnessasary) and higher damage in one of the best pvp specs.
Quote:
Georg Zoeller: A scoundrel, for example, is capable of producing rather significant burst healing output by using Upper Hand gained from Underworld Medicine or Kolto Injection to trigger an instant Emergency Medpack or Surgical probe when needed.