Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

pyrotech vs arsenal?

MarvelvsLucasart
02.28.2012 , 12:03 PM | #1
ok i'm trying to decide if i should use the arsenal or pyrotech trees on a pvp mercenary. i've been trying to read up on people's opinions, but it has only managed to confuse me more. can someone please explain to me the difference in play style between the two? what is the basic strategy involved? as far as i can tell, with an arsenal you want to stack tracer missiles and with pyrotech you want to set your enemy on fire using certain moves because you do more damage with the guy is on fire? please try not to use TOO much appreviations without explaining what they are, because i may or maynot understand what you mean.

Algeroth
02.28.2012 , 12:47 PM | #2
Arsenal

+
High burst damage
Good heat management (if you crit)
Knockback Rocket punch
Some defense from power barrier

-
Have to be stationary 80% of the time
Your heavy hitter can be interupted
Not so great against melee

Pyro

+
Good burst damage
Good continues damage (dots)
Great mobility
Can solo just about anyone

-
Can get overheated fast if not played carefully
No knockback Rocket punch or lower timer on jet boost
No armor penetration which makes tanks harder to deal with

Just my 5 cent.
Port Nowhere: Algeroth - Nazgeroth - Demiroth - Lanzeroth

MarvelvsLucasart
02.28.2012 , 09:46 PM | #3
ok thanks that was perfect. think i'm gonna go pyrotech

Rhaphael
02.29.2012 , 04:03 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Algeroth View Post
Pyro

+
Good burst damage
Good continues damage (dots)
Great mobility
Can solo just about anyone

-
Can get overheated fast if not played carefully
No knockback Rocket punch or lower timer on jet boost
No armor penetration which makes tanks harder to deal with

Just my 5 cent.
Pyro's don't need armor penetration because almost all the damage they deal is elemental, which has innately 100% armor penetration.

Ihazcrayon
02.29.2012 , 05:15 AM | #5
While yes pyros have alot of elemental damage...

Armor effects railshot, unload, and power shot. Railshot is one the bread and butter abilities of pyro.

In no means am I saying Pyro is gimp. But fighting a tank can be a headache seeing railshot tickle. Just like a Marksman Sniper's ambush.

Just don't fight tanks unless you absolutely have to

Jaigen
02.29.2012 , 05:25 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ihazcrayon View Post
While yes pyros have alot of elemental damage...

Armor effects railshot, unload, and power shot. Railshot is one the bread and butter abilities of pyro.

In no means am I saying Pyro is gimp. But fighting a tank can be a headache seeing railshot tickle. Just like a Marksman Sniper's ambush.

Just don't fight tanks unless you absolutely have to
Pyro is way better at dealing with tanks then arsenal. Since armor works in a curve that 55% armor is at best only going to remove 6-7 % of DR from a tank.

P.s. where does the myth come from that pyro's have heat problems? If anything their heat management is way better then arsenal.

Gyronamics
02.29.2012 , 05:37 AM | #7
It's a myth started by players who can only just manage to control things on Arsenal.

There's a lot of ways to regen or simply make attacks free with Pyro and althrough Arsenal has some of them, Pyro has shorter CD on them.

Ihazcrayon
02.29.2012 , 05:37 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Jaigen View Post
Pyro is way better at dealing with tanks then arsenal. Since armor works in a curve that 55% armor is at best only going to remove 6-7 % of DR from a tank.

P.s. where does the myth come from that pyro's have heat problems? If anything their heat management is way better then arsenal.
Never said Pyro was worse than Arsenal against tanks. Just stating that we do have our attacks that are mitigated by armor just like the rest of the classes.

P.S.

Never said anything about heat management. You probably were responding to a different poster. But I love the synergy of pyro and heat management.

Rhaphael
02.29.2012 , 05:52 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Jaigen View Post
Yeah I don't it understand either, I rarely if ever have heat problems. Only time when heat can become an issue is when Powershot doesn't proc Railshots 5+ times in a row while Unload is on cooldown, which rarely happens.

Algeroth
02.29.2012 , 09:48 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhaphael View Post
Yeah I don't it understand either, I rarely if ever have heat problems. Only time when heat can become an issue is when Powershot doesn't proc Railshots 5+ times in a row while Unload is on cooldown, which rarely happens.
To clearify I'm a pyro and don't have any heat problems unless I spam Incentary missile but if you're in a hecktic fight with no time to rest you'll get it unless Vent Heat cooldown is done.

I say Arsenal have better heat management because of Terminal Velocity, Pyro doesn't have any simular ability.
Port Nowhere: Algeroth - Nazgeroth - Demiroth - Lanzeroth