Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Asia Pacific Server Names and Launch Timing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Asia Pacific Server Names and Launch Timing

KailFalco
02.28.2012 , 05:38 PM | #41
What about those of us playing from Japan? Will we be getting free transfers for the new servers? I didn't see it listed with the other countries. If not are their plans to create (English language) servers for places like Japan?

Shakydvs
02.28.2012 , 05:48 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by michaelra View Post
I'm worried about this too, considering we only have 1 server for each type
Yup pretty much worried about the queues also. couldn't think of anything worse than getting home... waiting 1+ hours to log on.

Im surprised that they only have 1 of each type of server and would have thought that 2 of each type or at east 2 PvP and 2 PvE servers would have made more sense.

Evgen
02.28.2012 , 05:52 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by KailFalco View Post
What about those of us playing from Japan? Will we be getting free transfers for the new servers? I didn't see it listed with the other countries. If not are their plans to create (English language) servers for places like Japan?
What he said!
great choice of icon too! Must be a gaijin thing

Evgen
02.28.2012 , 05:58 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Kekovian View Post
Stephen... before launch we NEED to know some answers to these questions as they will directly affect our decisions and actions:

1) Will our character names be reserved? Do we need to rush onto the server and create a bunch of level 1 characters to preserve the names we have already on our US launch servers? And just as importantly... will creating lvl1 characters with the intention of removing them after transfers actually lock out the names so that our pre-mades are blocked from transferring with their names.

2) Will the legacy level and legacy last-name be reserved? Will we transfer with our legacy level intact or will we be starting from level 1

3) There are replies to the EU community regarding a shift in maintenance timing with multiple devs saying "we are looking into this". Will the Asia-Pacific servers also eventually have a designated down time outside prime-time or will it always be linked with the US? (future forecast appreciated)

4) PvP Warzone server cluster matching has been announced as a feature that is being looked at. Will Oceanic servers only be queued with other oceanic servers or will it be a GuildWars style system where your team comes from your server but can verse any team from US/EU

5) When server transfers are opened up for everyone... will Oceanic players be allowed to transfer back to US servers as part of a paid service structure? Or once we have transferred to the new servers those specific characters are now locked to that region?

Im sure there are more questions and many of them will appear in this thread. Please take the time to inform us... I've still got the bitter taste in my mouth from the last launch and I thought Bioware had learned some lessons from past mistakes regarding lack of information.

The Asia-Pacific launch train is almost 12 hours away and may depart the platform without any passengers. Having said that, this train is clearly The Ghan and for us that imported the game ourselves... we wont arrive at our destination for at least 3 days.
Let me try my hand at this

1) No, as multiple people are moving to multiple servers names will be on a first create/transfer first get basis

2) From a dev comment about not deleting characters I'm guessing each character has their own legacy xp and what you see on the bar is the total for the server. Speculation here of course, but it would be the smart way to do it. legacy names are like character names, but as they are one/account/server you have a lot better chance of keeping it
Just spend the hour, whip a character up though act 1 and reserve your name

3) If it works for EU sure it can work in AP

5) Yes, why? Mo money, mo money, mo money!

Observant viewers may note I missed number 4 . . .
Waves hand
That's not the 4 you were looking for

Evgen
02.28.2012 , 06:01 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Zertech View Post
5) When will maintenance time occur. at present they are in out peak time. and yes i can deal with it on one night a week but you frequently have them a 2nd night in a week at the same time....
I'm guessing since he said they will be releasing more information tomorrow, that there won't be any more comments today.
They have said maintenance will be at the same time it is now, no change

Fafryd
02.28.2012 , 06:13 PM | #46
On topic, and off topic, at the same time:

I'm going to either the AU PVE or PVP server. I play on Harbinger on the Republic side at the moment - although Imperials clearly have higher population, the WZ PVP is fairly balanced at 50. How is Swiftsure for faction population and PVP balance at the moment?

Wikileeks
02.28.2012 , 06:31 PM | #47
they are putting 1 of each server to see how it goes they have hardware ready to set up more if needed ,but hey they learnt from warhammer they had too many servers here that failed so less is better to start with imo ..

i cant wait now i can play my warrior got him to 50 but struggled in pvp with 200 ping to get any decent dps amounts to get enough tokens to buy pvp gear but with 50 ping or less im looking forward to it ,,my sorc can have a break

Hanscholo
02.28.2012 , 06:37 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Lasani View Post
I meant this :

Source

It's no good, still Asia is ignored by EA as always.....
This game doesnt have ping issues...i have a < 100 ping in australia now anyway...its totally a non issue.

The issue is, access times for people...if you want to stay on US time zones be my guest.

StephenReid
02.28.2012 , 06:42 PM | #49
I understand many of you have questions regarding character transfers; more information will be shared in the FAQ update tomorrow. This is the FAQ that will be getting updated.

Doubtless you'll have questions after that, and we'll answer those when we are able to.

RabidPopcorn
02.28.2012 , 06:56 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Youcantforceme View Post
Because, i dont want to xfer to these new servers to find a que of 200-300 every afternoon and not be able to move to a new server when they start up.
(Population figures based off Google, which indicated it was based off the World Bank 2010)

Population of Australia:
Population of New Zealand:
Population of Hong Kong:
Population of Singapore:
Total population of the above 4 regions:
Population of North America:
Ratio of North American population to the 4 'Asia-Pacific' regions' population:
~8.837 (3 d.p.)
Number of North American servers:
124 (manual counting off server status page)
Number of 'Asia-Pacific' servers:
Ratio of North American servers to 'Asia-Pacific' servers:
~41.333 (3 d.p.)
oooo discrepancy.

But it'll smooth out over time as the 'Asia-Pacific' servers will serve as the unofficial servers for the other 'Asia-Pacific' countries that were not included with this launch; and SWTOR has also indicated that they are prepared to expand the number of 'Asia-Pacific' servers. Both of which will decrease the gap between the above 2 ratios.

WoW - as expected with an older, more established game with more players - does fairly better, with a NA/Oceanic server ratio of ~20.083 (3 d.p.) (241 North American servers, 12 Oceanic servers (wowwiki info)). Also bear in mind that SWTOR has a much smaller player base than WoW. Plus, for Oceanic players, SWTOR has already made the big logistical step of locating servers in Australia, which in itself is already a big difference with WoW.

There doesn't seem to be any big queue issues on WoW's Oceanic servers (based off personal experience); I wouldn't expect any big issues with SWTOR's 'Asia-Pacific' servers, but then again, if we allow for the likelihood that people from outside these 4 'Asia-Pacific' servers might be playing then it may change.

Anyway, IMO, optimal server load is when the server is near full but still allows for players to enter without queueing - this means lots of activity going on in the server, meaning shorter WZ queues, shorter FP waits, faster grouping for missions etc. This is preferable to the dispersing of what little players the 'Asia-Pacific' region has; also note that even people on the North American side have already been complaining about lowly populated servers, I don't think it would be ideal for the 'Asia-Pacific' servers to be in such a similar state.