Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

crossbones
12.16.2011 , 05:54 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by GawdoOo View Post
Implementing an appearance tab, hurts the crafting community. You will be able to get any look you want, and keep stats in line.
Every style of armor is available as Orange, customizable gear.

Yes 4 days before launch you may not get your look, but a few months in once the patterns become readily available the crafters will be kicking out the items people want.

This current system is the best of both worlds, it makes crafting useful, there will be demand for the things they make and it lets people pick how their characters gear looks.

Yes, you'll have to wait a bit for the economy in the game to get into swing. But in the end, I think this will be a great system for all involved.
Wrong. I have played in the beta for a long while now, and the statement that every style of armor has an orange is dead wrong. ANd it changes nothing for crafting, you still need mods with or with out the A-TAB.

For those that have no idea what an A-TAB is.

An Appearance Tab is an interface not unlike the current equipment window used in-game. The only difference is that items equipped to this window do not give you any stats, but instead overwrite the appearance of items equipped in your normal equipment window with their own. Equipping X pants to your equipment window while equipping Y pants to your Appearance Tab, for example, will give you the stats of the X pants, but the appearance of the Y pants on your character.

Because the Tab functions just like the normal equipment window, any items you wish to use the appearances of must currently be owned by your character, and your character must meet the level, class, LS/DS, and armor/weapon type requirements to use them in the Tab. It is just as impossible for a level 10 jedi to wear a full set of trooper armor in their Tab as it is for them to wear it in their normal equipment window.

The feature is automatically unlocked somewhere around the 10-20 level range, to give new players time to get used to using the normal equipment window before interacting with the very similar Appearance Tab interface, but still gaining access early enough to know that they should start hanging onto any items they might want to wear in the Tab later on.

This is exactly what is being used in EQ2 and the most popular version of the A-Tab.
It would work great with this game.

hadoken
12.16.2011 , 05:55 AM | #12
Don't need an appearance tab, the way the crafting system works.
Exactly. The system we have makes sense and fits with the lore of the game. An 'appearance tab' does not.

hadoken
12.16.2011 , 05:56 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
Wrong. I have played in the beta for a long while now, and the statement that every style of armor has an orange is dead wrong. ANd it changes nothing for crafting, you still need mods with or with out the A-TAB.
This cannot be ascertained one way or another yet, as the majority of the oranges come from rare 'drops' via underworld schematics.

Admittance
12.16.2011 , 06:04 AM | #14
yhea i am personally saving up for the pilots suit on the republic fleet starship vendor, i will gladly stick my mods in that, i just wish it was orange instead of red.

Ohoni
12.16.2011 , 06:10 AM | #15
Quote:
Implementing an appearance tab, hurts the crafting community. You will be able to get any look you want, and keep stats in line.
If it does hurt the crafting community, it would only be if the current crafting model is poorly designed. Crafters should not NEED what an appearance tab would offer to be viable. Crafters should be viable because players want the mechanical benefits of the gear they produce, not because, while they already have better gear, they need the crafter version so they can tie those stats to the appearance they want. Crafters should be viable because they give more options for customizing gear than the drop tables produces. Crafters should be viable because they can produce unique gear with appearances and stat combinations that cannot be found anywhere else, not so that they can provide you a more customizable version of gear you already have.

Do crafters benefit from the current system? Sure, but not in any way that they deserve. Their benefit comes at the consumer's cost and that's not fair to the vast majority of players who just want to enjoy the game, who want to be able to loot gear and throw it on, without having to worry that it will make them look foolish, and without having to jump through a dozen hoops just to gain the same effect as just throwing on the gear they already own.

Quote:
Yes 4 days before launch you may not get your look, but a few months in once the patterns become readily available the crafters will be kicking out the items people want.
Yes, but that still fails to meet the criteria, because it requires that you BUY the orange gear. Even if the price would be reasonable, and chances are it wouldn't be, you would still have the hassle involved in going on the GTN and trying to find the look you want, which is an added step that player A would not need to do. Then, once you have the style you want, you would need to track down mods capable of giving it the same stats as the gear you already have. Do you truly think that model will ever balance out?

Do you truly believe that under the current system, if you sell off a level 15 piece of gear to a vendor, the cash he would give you for it would be enough to buy a piece of orange gear equivalent to the level 13 armor you already have, AND the mods necessary to equal the stats of the level 15 blue armor you sold off? Do you believe that this system would ever balance out for Player B? Or do you just not care about balance?

Quote:
The problem with that reasoning is that this is not a single player game and any change you add will affect all players regardless of whether they are interested in the new feature or not.
No more than in how you use it. If you don't want to use the system, you won't have to. The alternative mechanisms would remain in place.

Quote:
Personally I do not want anything like the WoW/DCUO appearance tab functionality. The current crafting implementation achieves the same results but also has a feeling of acomplishment to it.
Then continue to use it even after they add an appearance tab system, nobody will stop you. Your argument seems to imply that you're interested in how much work you put in, how much a sense of achievement you get out of accomplishing things, but nobody is talking about altering any of that so arguments on those grounds hold no water. What you really want is to keep it difficult for me to get the things I want, which I believe is indefensibly selfish.

Quote:
What are you talking about? Every appearance in the game has a corresponding orange item. Just mod it with raid mods and you can wear it forever. The game doesn't need an appearance tab as it basically has one already.
Not even close. It has a Bizarro appearance tab system at best, an incomplete simulacrum that fails to accomplish the necessary objectives.

Tirani
12.16.2011 , 06:54 AM | #16
The custom item mechanic is better than an appeareance tab. This way the crafters are goin to be able to provide the community with extra value, even to people already in raid gear who want to change their looks...
Amethyst Shard a "The Progenitor" guild

Ethern
12.16.2011 , 07:01 AM | #17
The thread about the appearance tab was restarted here

Don't need an appearance tab, the way the crafting system works.
I disagree, we need one, and even if it is in, it won"t be sufficient.
Not only custom gear do not cover all your progression, but also, cloaks, shoulders, are not separated from the chest piece. When you'll tab, you'll tab all of it. Provided you like the cloak on one piece which is not moddable, you are screwed.
Level 50 SW Marauder Rage PvE - Unsuscribed - lack of: X server LFD - appearance customization - +Travel between planets has too much steps - Stupid crystals restrictions based on alignment.
I'll be back for chapter IV.

Corros
12.16.2011 , 07:03 AM | #18
The fact that you can ignore the apearence tab if you don't want it is fine and dandy but you cant say it doesn't effect crafting. You severely criple the usefulness of most mods. Mods are on par with ops gear at best but never better. So why take the time to fully mod out orange gear when you can just get potentialy ugly gear that already has all the good stats and cover it up with an appearence tab?
(▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓[▀▀()╪╪╣ΞΞΞΞ╠╪╪()▀▀]▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

Tirani
12.16.2011 , 07:14 AM | #19
Right now we have two options:

The easy way: collect purples with nice stats but a look you might not want

The harder way: collect oranges from crafters, commendation and quests, collect purple mods for nice stats, look like you want to look

a appeareance tab would destroy the second option...
Amethyst Shard a "The Progenitor" guild

MareLooke
12.16.2011 , 07:30 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Tirani View Post
Right now we have two options:

The easy way: collect purples with nice stats but a look you might not want

The harder way: collect oranges from crafters, commendation and quests, collect purple mods for nice stats, look like you want to look

a appeareance tab would destroy the second option...
The second option won't work (unless they fixed something without telling us, which I doubt) as the endgame gear has set bonuses (which afaik are on the gear, not the mods) so even with the same mods a set of orange gear will be worse than a set of purple gear, so much for choice.

Secondly, someone that finds a nice purple item (and they apparently do exist before lvl50) is SOL as it's not fully moddable and from what Bioware told us it's only blues and below that have a craftable version for each "look"...

These points were made over and over again after their "clarification" of the mod system (which tbh didn't clarify anything for those of us that were in the last 2 betas due to the above 2 issues, we already knew about the stuff they posted about)

That said, I rather have them address these two issues (rather sooner than later) than add an appearance tab.