Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

ColonelKer-Nal
01.01.2012 , 12:11 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by DigitalPigeon View Post
Why is it that some gamers, most likely coming from a certain "other" AAA MMO that has this feature, think we have a "right" to have independent control over our appearance? And I mean that honestly, not tongue in cheek.
Because we are used to having our characters be visually pleasing to our own eyes, not looking as if a billion random parts had been stuck on them when the paint factory exploded around them.

I won't say we feel as if we have a right to customize our appearance. But technology advances, even in games. We have a 2004 degree of character customization currently, and it's 2012 (as of this writing, Happy New Year everyone!). In a competitive market you adapt or you lose customer base.

As for WHY BW should provide us with this, from a business perspective, well it's pretty simple really. There are different groups of people who play MMOs for different reasons. Some of us won't play our characters if we don't like the look of them. It's a small enough thing to cater to us, just like it's a small enough thing to cater to the raiders, crafters, and other splinter groups who play MMOs. After all, the goal is to attract a large customer base, no? So providing the ways and means for that segment of the customer base to feel connected to our characters (because that is what's going to help keep us playing, that feeling of connection) will prolong subs from that group.

I hope this clears things up for you a bit. If you have further questions, just ask.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
~Robert A. Heinlein

DigitalPigeon
01.01.2012 , 10:27 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by ColonelKer-Nal View Post
Some of us won't play our characters if we don't like the look of them.
Agreed... no few people I know enjoy when their gear is a hodge podge of rainbow junk

BUT... we are totaly free to co-ordinate all we want, it just might mean that we are not always in the gear that gives us the best stats.

The essential argument is that "I want A (my look) but I won't compromise with B (my stats)". Its a have your cake and eat it too situation. That was the point of my argument early... if I had two items, and one gave a great stat of type A, and one gave a stat of type B, few people would expect to "take the best of both worlds" in that case. But if one item gave a great stat of type A, and a great look of type B, then many people think you SHOULD get the best of both worlds.

Was just curious how people justified the difference between these two scenarios, without saying "appearance isn't important"... because if its not important, then people wouldn't want the feature Thats all.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ohoni View Post
It's really most other AAA MMOs, and even really most other AA and A and C- MMOs that already have this feature.
Curious what all these MMOs are... I haven't experianced any that implement such a seperate apperiance function. Keep in mind we're talking about games where your gear in some way determines your appearance, not where "costumes" are a completely seperate feature that requires no work on the side of the player. TOR is still leaps and bounds ahead in customization during character creation vs pretty much any other MMO i've played (except maybe eve, but lets face it thats a lot of time and effort for something no one sees). Again, I don't count super hero costume games in this, because I really think that is an apples and oranges discussion (but even at that, TOR facial customization still blows the competition away IMHO).

ColonelKer-Nal
01.02.2012 , 12:08 AM | #113
Agreed... no few people I know enjoy when their gear is a hodge podge of rainbow junk

BUT... we are totaly free to co-ordinate all we want, it just might mean that we are not always in the gear that gives us the best stats.

The essential argument is that "I want A (my look) but I won't compromise with B (my stats)". Its a have your cake and eat it too situation. That was the point of my argument early... if I had two items, and one gave a great stat of type A, and one gave a stat of type B, few people would expect to "take the best of both worlds" in that case. But if one item gave a great stat of type A, and a great look of type B, then many people think you SHOULD get the best of both worlds.[]

Was just curious how people justified the difference between these two scenarios, without saying "appearance isn't important"... because if its not important, then people wouldn't want the feature Thats all.
I should be able to get the look I want. I don't mind putting effort equal to getting good stat gear, but it seems unreasonable to me to have to put in MORE effort than I do for good stat gear just to LOOK the way I want to.

Curious what all these MMOs are... I haven't experianced any that implement such a seperate apperiance function. Keep in mind we're talking about games where your gear in some way determines your appearance, not where "costumes" are a completely seperate feature that requires no work on the side of the player. TOR is still leaps and bounds ahead in customization during character creation vs pretty much any other MMO i've played (except maybe eve, but lets face it thats a lot of time and effort for something no one sees). Again, I don't count super hero costume games in this, because I really think that is an apples and oranges discussion (but even at that, TOR facial customization still blows the competition away IMHO).
LotRO for one.

And, to put it politely, I'm unimpressed by the facial customization, and frankly the character creator as a whole. Look at ME or DA (other BW games) and see some decent facial customization. And I'm not stuck with 2/3 of my choices for hair stiles being emo, punk, or gang looking trash. 5 styles of corn rows? Really? Cyborg as a RACE/SPIECES? Say WHAT? Five years in development and the best you can come up with is to say "Well it's better than WoW"?!?!?!?

Let's not discuss the steaming pile we have for a character creator, shall we?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
~Robert A. Heinlein

Ohoni
01.02.2012 , 03:45 AM | #114
Quote:
But that's not freedom, because stats matter too. There's no need for players to choose, they should be able to have the very best stats available to them at any given time, AND the very best appearance they have access to at any given time, simultaneously. The technology exists, just not currently in this game.

Quote:
Curious what all these MMOs are... I haven't experianced any that implement such a seperate apperiance function.
Just of the ones I've played, in order of release:
CoH
LotRO
CO
DCUO

There may be others out there, I understand Rift has some variation on this theme that allows for at least better customization than SWtOR, and I understand that WoW has also added an improved customization feature since I last played it. There are also a number of single player games that allow for better appearance customization than SWtOR while offering similar gameplay elements, such as Saints Row, Terraria, and others that you can use editing tools to get the look you want, like Dragon Age 2.

Quote:
Keep in mind we're talking about games where your gear in some way determines your appearance, not where "costumes" are a completely seperate feature that requires no work on the side of the player.
Why make the distinction? In games like CO and DCUO, your stats are determined by your gear, and gear does grant access to new costumes, it's just semantics to argue that they should be any different than what SWtOR offers.

Quote:
TOR is still leaps and bounds ahead in customization during character creation vs pretty much any other MMO i've played (except maybe eve, but lets face it thats a lot of time and effort for something no one sees).
That's kind of sad then, because TOR's customization is well behind most of the MMOs I've played, aside from WoW. I mean, it's adequate enough, but there are much more versatile character creation systems out there.

Quote:
Again, I don't count super hero costume games in this, because I really think that is an apples and oranges discussion (but even at that, TOR facial customization still blows the competition away IMHO).
That's your choice, but you're sort of disconnecting yourself from the discussion by doing so. If you're going to arbitrarily rule out superhero MMOs then we might as well also arbitrarily rule out fantasy MMOs as well, because those have magic in them, which makes a pair of shorts that grant +willpower a much more reasonable thing. I can make much closer analogs to my Trooper and Consular in DCUO or CO than I ever could in WoW, both visually and in performance.

Shadow-Republic
01.05.2012 , 06:33 PM | #115
I can see both points and both valid but i think people should not be restricted to a specific line of armor. Maybe another crafting ability for social apperances can be bought in so crafters still win with creations and selling but also the players get a more wider variety of armor and clothing, also some apperances can be used in commendations also quest rewards. This will also be helping to break up the mundane look of "oh look you look exactly like me, oh and so do you" which i feel is already in game sadly.

I recon bring on any solution to give us players more choice hopefully later down the line something will be implemented.
The Grey Brotherhood Grey Brotherhood Guild

Melgoth
01.05.2012 , 07:18 PM | #116
I would love an appearance tab. The problem with modding the orange gear, is oftentimes there is a light armor item that I would like to use, but as a medium armor wearer, I take the hit to the armor value.

ErikModi
01.05.2012 , 07:24 PM | #117
I think that, if Synthweavers/Armormechs were able to make a wide range of moddable gear, and other crafters were able to produce sufficiently usable mods, there would be no need for Appearance/Vanity tab.

Aegamin
01.09.2012 , 04:39 PM | #118
This game needs an A-tab. Orange gear doesnt cut it.

Hate the way my female twillek look in clunky jedi guardian armor.

Belbullab
01.09.2012 , 04:52 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohoni View Post
This is something that's been long requested, and long ignored by Bioware
they didn't ignore it. they dismissed it because it is a terrible idea.

--Grim--
01.09.2012 , 05:08 PM | #120
Didn't they state they were working on it? Thought I read that somewhere, could be wrong though.

If not, then they will eventually, even if they say no now. Vanity is a huge factor in mmo's. Ignoring it is a sure path to niche status.

Right now people use orange items for vanity then get to 50 and realize they are stuck with horrible looking gear that drops from raids. That is a very lame system that most players hate. It is sure to be fixed in some way that allows people to create the look they want.