Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Are threat dumps and enrage times the only mechanics BW know?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Are threat dumps and enrage times the only mechanics BW know?

WutsInAName's Avatar


WutsInAName
02.27.2012 , 03:23 PM | #1
Seriously, come up with a boss that does not involve these 2 things.

Bonecrusher at least does not threat dump. oh right you cannot get any threat on him.

Every other HM FP and Normal/HM FP boss I have seen so far is pretty much one or both of these mechanics and that is it.

There is no originality in the boss encouters (save perhaps for the 2 lil puzzle bosses).


Enrage timers are meant to be a gear check NOT a boss mechanic to be used up like a Hankey.

I know the biodrones will be al over this one. But let me ask you this...

Why during development all the way to beta/launch was it said that having many people all beating on one enemy for minutes was not very heroic. Apparently their answer was 'add a enrage timer so boss goes god mode' yes real heroic.

Aluo's Avatar


Aluo
02.27.2012 , 03:39 PM | #2
Sounds like you got gear checked....

But in all honesty, I do agree with you. Enrage timers are lazy development in my opinion.

With that said, let's "walk a mile in their shoes" and see the other side of the coin.

If there were no enrage timers you could "game the system" and bring 1 tank/15 healers.

These people could now gear out rather fast and with little effort since there would be so much overhealing boss mechanics would go out the window.

Put an enrage timer in and that option goes out the window.

This is also their first MMO, and while I understand that isn't a very rock solid excuse for why they should just go lazy mode and slap an enrage timer on every boss, it is "Their Style"

They should take a page from some other mmos when it comes to PVE mechanics in my opinion, what game I don't care. Just pick one that clearly has strong PvE and mimic a few things.

P.S. Bioware, you got a great foundation, now build something on it please.

BMBender's Avatar


BMBender
02.27.2012 , 03:47 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Aluo View Post

If there were no enrage timers you could "game the system" and bring 1 tank/15 healers.


D
Can be easily countered by a slowely increasing armor buff, self heal on boss. After a certain point 1 tnk 15 healers could spend a week in the encounter and not accomplish anything. But that would req fore-thought and anticipation of player actions by the devs. Unlikely.
The only thing that should impact a players success/failure in pvpplayervsplayeris his/her skill not what they are wearing. Otherwise call it GvG gear vs gear, crunch the #'s in a calc, face-roll your keyboard, and go watch TV.polls by paulolesonhttp://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164486pollhttp://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164530

Valan's Avatar


Valan
02.27.2012 , 03:48 PM | #4
Fights like G4B3 with the puzzle interaction and SOA with the clever use of the gamespace (in a bug-free world, this fight is amazing) give me hope that they can design really clever and fun boss encounters.

Not to mention that there may be people who are playing this MMO that came from other MMO's that either didn't have raids, or that those folks never raided in. Everybody knew it was going to be easy. If they take the good parts from this raid tier and expand upon those for 1.2, I think raiding in this game will be just dandy
Tactician, Operative of Rapture
a 16 player Operations guild on The Shadowlands

cbowsin's Avatar


cbowsin
02.27.2012 , 03:49 PM | #5
What's with all the threads against enrage timers? What other mechanics would be better when you want to set a time limit on an encounter, a timeclock counting down? How about if Dave Chappelle appeared on the screen with a Wrap-It-Up box? Seriously, if you don't like enrage timers, then just defeat the boss in the alotted time and you'll never have to deal with them.
Yoda: I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.

KingFink's Avatar


KingFink
02.27.2012 , 03:51 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Valan View Post
Fights like G4B3 with the puzzle interaction and SOA with the clever use of the gamespace (in a bug-free world, this fight is amazing) give me hope that they can design really clever and fun boss encounters.

Not to mention that there may be people who are playing this MMO that came from other MMO's that either didn't have raids, or that those folks never raided in. Everybody knew it was going to be easy. If they take the good parts from this raid tier and expand upon those for 1.2, I think raiding in this game will be just dandy
I like to take Kaon Under Siege as a bright glimmer of hope. I really think that mechanically that is a pretty good instance. There are multiple mechanics to work with and the atmosphere provides another level to it. With Screamers knocking you about and Mercenaries controlling people, along with the other different types I think if they continue on this track with their operations and diversify what goes on in encounters we'll be pretty happy with it.

Who knows. Maybe I'm a starry eyed dreamer.

Valan's Avatar


Valan
02.27.2012 , 03:52 PM | #7
It's good to have hope, when the only recourse is Pandas
Tactician, Operative of Rapture
a 16 player Operations guild on The Shadowlands

BMBender's Avatar


BMBender
02.27.2012 , 03:53 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by cbowsin View Post
What's with all the threads against enrage timers? What other mechanics would be better when you want to set a time limit on an encounter, a timeclock counting down? How about if Dave Chappelle appeared on the screen with a Wrap-It-Up box? Seriously, if you don't like enrage timers, then just defeat the boss in the alotted time and you'll never have to deal with them.
Problem people have with them isn't that they are hard, it's that they are easy. They are merely gear checks. Once you gear for it you can go semi-afk through 1/2 the fights.
The only thing that should impact a players success/failure in pvpplayervsplayeris his/her skill not what they are wearing. Otherwise call it GvG gear vs gear, crunch the #'s in a calc, face-roll your keyboard, and go watch TV.polls by paulolesonhttp://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164486pollhttp://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164530

WutsInAName's Avatar


WutsInAName
02.27.2012 , 04:13 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by BMBender View Post
Problem people have with them isn't that they are hard, it's that they are easy. They are merely gear checks. Once you gear for it you can go semi-afk through 1/2 the fights.
What he said, not to mention boring.

yugotoobo's Avatar


yugotoobo
02.27.2012 , 04:13 PM | #10
I think bioware did a great job. The mechanics in these fights are great. Enrage timers just make it more difficult. I am in the best pve guild on my server and usually we die when we mess up on the mechanics and or the puzzle. When you look at soa enrage timers interact with the mechanics like the tank positioning the boss to bring down his shield.

What other game besides wow has these kind of quality mechanics? I wouldn't know I guess. I think when you look at what we have in game and the infinite possibilties of what is to come there is going to be alot of crazy fights.

After playing in end game in different games for years I have come to a single conclusion. That bioware exceeded my expectations.

Koan had some interesting mechanics.

Oh one last thing I want to rant about is the models. It seems like they re skin things far to aften which I know is typicl in a mmo. It would be awsome though to see them design new models instead of reskinned mobs that are made bigger and painted differently.