Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Using PvP epics to run PvE content?

CptJello
02.27.2012 , 02:17 PM | #1
Hey guys,

I'm working myself towards level 50 and I have a question for running the beginning endgame PvE content. Is it smart/effective to use PvP epics (I'll have hopefully 4 when I ding - I'm capped on merc and warzone and have 1 champion bag already) to run HM Flashpoints until I can get fully decked in PvE epics? Would it even be acceptable to use these to try and run the first couple bosses of Eternity Vault? I would just think this would be better than using PvE greens or blues in slots where I could throw an epic, but I don't know! Has anyone tried this? What are your thoughts?

Thanks a ton!

Best,

Tarynn (Jedi Sentinel)
Tarynn
Level 36 Jedi Sentinel
The Maw

DarthBloodloss
02.27.2012 , 02:21 PM | #2
You can use champion gear for HM Ops. Comuli is better of course but they are very close to being the same thing.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

McGarnagle
02.27.2012 , 02:35 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
You can use champion gear for HM Ops. Comuli is better of course but they are very close to being the same thing.
You can do it, but I would not say they are very close. For some classes, the set piece bonuses for columi/tionese/rakata is huge. The stats in PVE gear, especially in full gear, are far superior than their PVP counterparts when grouped together as a full set. In fact, PVE gear easily gives 10% more health and 10% more attack damage you would get from experience in champion gear during PVP. PVE gear works really well in PVP and is very, very close to making up the experience buff. The opposite is not true. For PVP it really comes down to the set piece bonuses. For example, on mercs the two piece PVE gives 15% more crits on tracer. That is huge, and 2 pieces of PVE gear more than makes up for the small loss in experience.

With all that said, champion gear is fine for running hard mode flashpoints. Heck, you can get away with much less. Yet overall I would say PVE gear is a much better overall gear set if you plan to PVE and PVP (plus it's much easier to get unless you exploit some of the PVP stuff).

DarthBloodloss
02.27.2012 , 02:46 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by McGarnagle View Post
You can do it, but I would not say they are very close. For some classes, the set piece bonuses for columi/tionese/rakata is huge. The stats in PVE gear, especially in full gear, are far superior than their PVP counterparts when grouped together as a full set. In fact, PVE gear easily gives 10% more health and 10% more attack damage you would get from experience in champion gear during PVP. PVE gear works really well in PVP and is very, very close to making up the experience buff. The opposite is not true. For PVP it really comes down to the set piece bonuses. For example, on mercs the two piece PVE gives 15% more crits on tracer. That is huge, and 2 pieces of PVE gear more than makes up for the small loss in experience.

With all that said, champion gear is fine for running hard mode flashpoints. Heck, you can get away with much less. Yet overall I would say PVE gear is a much better overall gear set if you plan to PVE and PVP (plus it's much easier to get unless you exploit some of the PVP stuff).
Way back when we started doing HM Ops, I was in full champion stuff and never had a problem. Most of my group was in even worse gear than me. I know firsthand that its easily doable in champion gear.

Of course now we are long past that point and are in mostly Rakata but I do remember the champion days.
Bloodloss Mercenary

McGarnagle
02.27.2012 , 02:53 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
Way back when we started doing HM Ops, I was in full champion stuff and never had a problem. Most of my group was in even worse gear than me. I know firsthand that its easily doable in champion gear.

Of course now we are long past that point and are in mostly Rakata but I do remember the champion days.
I did say champion is fine, and even lesser gear is fine. I was dissagreeing that champion is close to it's PVE counterpart (columi). A full set of columi will have a lot more health and damage (approx 10% for each) which works in both PVP and PVE. It actually makes up for almost all of the gains you get from the experience on PVP gear while doing PVP.

Yet, once again, champion gear is perfectly fine for PVE HM Flashpoints. It's similar to Tionese, which also is perfectly fine. In fact, lower than tionese can run HM flashpoints.

DarthBloodloss
02.27.2012 , 02:57 PM | #6
Ok I gotcha.

I just meant its similar in the fact that it lets you cruise thru with no big problems. Its blows away T1 gear (just as Columi does) and is not as good as T3 gear (same with Columi).

Yes Columi has more stats, and has set bonuses. Columi is clearly better as someone in full Columi doesn't even really "need" Rakata. Where as someone in full Champion still needs to upgrade.
Bloodloss Mercenary

CptJello
02.27.2012 , 03:06 PM | #7
What about Centurion gear? Is that competitive at all? I feel like I'll have more Centurion than Champion...
Tarynn
Level 36 Jedi Sentinel
The Maw

dark_isz
02.27.2012 , 03:38 PM | #8
You can make gear that is superior to Cent gear (for PVE) by modding orange armor with the item mods you get doing Ilum and Belsavis dailies. That being said, Cent gear should be more than sufficient to start running normal ops.
Ξ█▲▼▲▼█╫╢(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀]►

NotRonin
02.27.2012 , 03:43 PM | #9
HM Flashpoints are pretty easy. Same with Normal mode Operations. Better gear just means you can finish them faster. You can finish them with Centurian gear. To give you an idea, the final boss in Hardmode BT only have ~110k hp. The Belsavis Heroic 4+ 'Old Enemies' have a tougher boss!! (he doesn't have the annoying pull-in' though).

You will only need mostly Columni gear when you start running HM Operations where the Enrage timer is very unforgiving.

DarthBloodloss
02.27.2012 , 04:08 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by CptJello View Post
What about Centurion gear? Is that competitive at all? I feel like I'll have more Centurion than Champion...
Centurion is useable for FP but maybe a little soft for Ops. The trick for all HM FPs is learning the fights. The gearing part is secondary.
Bloodloss Mercenary