Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Making Carnage Viable for Ops

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sith Warrior > Marauder
Making Carnage Viable for Ops

Ythera
02.27.2012 , 07:15 AM | #1
Idea thread for making Carnage a more viable alternative to Annihilation for Operations. As it stands, Carnage feels really underwhelming... The 100% Armor Penetration is nice, but 40% of that armor is already disintegrated by Mercs and Juggernauts already. After the initial burst of damage from the Force Scream combo, I feel like I can't do much of anything, compared to Annihilation, which I can easily bleed targets to death AND heal my Ops team for 1% every second using Berserk. Carnage, however, has no team focus whatsoever -- it's all about you, yet still feels like something is missing.
One idea -- allow a talent for Gore to apply to all members of your party, and create a talent that makes Force Scream a small cone AoE ability.
Life can either be your slave or your master; it's up to you to decide which one.

darkonnis
02.27.2012 , 07:37 AM | #2
Whilst i agree that carnage needs changing to make it different from being yet another single target DPS tree, i disagree with the core idea. Carnage is very viable. Annihilation requires a ramp up time. Whereby DPS increases the longer a fight goes on (due to the fact it takes nearly 30s for Annihilate to be operating at its lowest CD), changing targets/getting cc'd all reduce effective DPS for annihilation and the minor gaps make huge differences. Carnage on the other hand does on demand DPS with short CD's. Having used both in ops, i feel more at home with annihilation but carnage is no slouch either.

Your ideas are good though, but instead i think a better work around would be to make gore last longer, giving a higher effective increase. Force scream, not a bad idea but perhaps by giving it an armour pen buff insted, which lowers the targets chance to block/dodge/parry or something it would work better.

Personally, i think the trees should look like:
Annihilation - Excellent single target sustained damage, good burst, low support
Carnage - Good single target sustained damage, great burst, support buffs, like armour reduction, chance to miss, silence, increase accuracy/alacrity/crit chance
Rage - Medium single target DPS, excellent AOE sustained and burst damage, low support

Its a no win really because everyone likes to play differently, but i feel that if the 3 trees where all very different in how they did things, we'd probably be better off than now where we have 2 viable ops trees and no real AOE.
Darth Bain, Black Dawn Syndicate - 50 Assassin - Luka Sene
Valar Morghulis, Apotheosis - 50 Marauder - Luka Sene

AcaciaDragon
02.27.2012 , 08:15 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ythera View Post
Idea thread for making Carnage a more viable alternative to Annihilation for Operations. As it stands, Carnage feels really underwhelming... The 100% Armor Penetration is nice, but 40% of that armor is already disintegrated by Mercs and Juggernauts already. After the initial burst of damage from the Force Scream combo, I feel like I can't do much of anything, compared to Annihilation, which I can easily bleed targets to death AND heal my Ops team for 1% every second using Berserk. Carnage, however, has no team focus whatsoever -- it's all about you, yet still feels like something is missing.
One idea -- allow a talent for Gore to apply to all members of your party, and create a talent that makes Force Scream a small cone AoE ability.
All classes need something like this. It seems all the dps are only benefiting themselves. Id like to see more group wide buffs/debuffs to make the group makeup more complex.
Wingweaver Champion Carnage Marauder

Ythera
02.29.2012 , 04:50 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by AcaciaDragon View Post
All classes need something like this. It seems all the dps are only benefiting themselves. Id like to see more group wide buffs/debuffs to make the group makeup more complex.
Agreed. DPS should be only self-DPS -- especially for the DPS only classes. There should at least be one tree to help the entire group, not just ourselves. Right now, the trees are extremely narrow in terms of utility, which is disappointing considering that we can ONLY do DPS in Ops groups.
Life can either be your slave or your master; it's up to you to decide which one.

GirraffeOnFire
03.01.2012 , 04:25 AM | #5
Carnage is a great spec. It can put out a lot of damage fast. The massacre -> gore -> ravage -> force scream combo is nuts. Massacre also increase your chance to have an extra attack happen by 30%, which gives you a total of 50% chance for extra attack. 100% crit on force scream. Ravage has roots.

As carnage, tear through all the normal and strong enemies first then go to the elites +. You should be able to take down a strong in 4-5 hits like clockwork. Then for longer fights, time your gore right and make sure the massacre proc is always up.

Spiderbubble
03.01.2012 , 04:47 AM | #6
Ataru strikes are bugged on big mobs. This is common knowledge. This takes a large amount of damage away from the Carnage tree in ops, unless you risk being very close to the bosses, in which case you might very easily take a cleave to the face.

Regardless of these bugs, Carnage is just Annihilation's retarded step-brother in PvP or PvE. There's so many problems with Carnage that I've gotten tired of naming them all. Just look for the other 8 million posts regarding the retarded step-brother with a lisp and a lazy eye.

dragonfor
03.01.2012 , 02:22 PM | #7
I've gotta say it:

The trees weren't designed to be on par with each other. If you want to play a spec because you enjoy it more, then do so but don't expect to do top DPS with it.
If you want to put out the most DPS, take the top DPS spec.

The major downfall of WoW was class homogenization. Let's not bring that **** here.

PBMBOtis
03.01.2012 , 08:43 PM | #8
This is the main problem with the lack of parsing or combat logs, it allows class balance laziness without "true" data they can say it's "playstyle" choice and whatever bullcrap they want to throw at us.

xDreegan
03.01.2012 , 09:14 PM | #9
In an MMO its all abulout numbers. From gear to DPS everyone wants to pull out the biggest numbers no matter what. This game is flawed in so many levels when it comes to the class balance it's nuts. No true dedicated healer, utility spread out all over the place, and lack of true individuality between classes because they tried to mix too many flavors into each main flavor. Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry. Almost every class in this game is Neapolitan, yet each scoop has a "best" tree that has nothing to do with playstyle. You can compensate with player skill and whatever else you want, but players will always circumvent the system and find the one best way.

Because everything's spread so thin, don't expect any balance to happen until a true expansion happens. That coupled with BioWares uncanny tight leash on information, as opposed to En Masses transparent and open Dev team that visually cares about it's player base should tell you all you need to know.

Adill
03.01.2012 , 09:48 PM | #10
I'd be happy if they would just fix the ataru form proc range bug.