Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is there a viable powertech dps spec?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Is there a viable powertech dps spec?

Felmyst
12.16.2011 , 03:40 AM | #1
Hi guys, i was wonder if there is a straight dps spec for Powertech thats not the shared tree.

Im not much of a tanker and prob wont even attempt it.

Was keen to try out the class thou or am i wasting my time and stay merc?

Cheers in advance

Ogrezilla
12.16.2011 , 04:55 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Felmyst View Post
Hi guys, i was wonder if there is a straight dps spec for Powertech thats not the shared tree.

Im not much of a tanker and prob wont even attempt it.

Was keen to try out the class thou or am i wasting my time and stay merc?

Cheers in advance
Advanced Prototype and Pyrotech are both pure DPS specs.

AshPrime
12.16.2011 , 09:57 AM | #3
AdvProto does really good damage actually very competitive with Mercenary's Arsenal, in some cases it can out perform Arsenal. I am a huge supporter of AdvProto actually, if you are interested at all in the spec check my post out here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=5638
In his own way he is, perhaps, The Most Dangerous Man who ever lived.
A Fist Full of Credits

Yozbick
12.16.2011 , 02:28 PM | #4
I've gone pure Shieldtech so far and I'm always in the Top 5 DPS in PVP.

Ion Cylinder compares quite favorably when you go deep into the Shieldtech tree (25% boost to Ion's damage, added damage from Shock, triggers 100% off Rocket Punch, it triggers 50% more often than Combustable Gas Cylinder and it does its damage all at once not as a DOT).

The added defense more than offsets any difference. The problem in PVE will be that if you are NOT tanking, you will be drawing all the aggro away from the tank.

Guurzak
12.16.2011 , 02:44 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Yozbick View Post
The problem in PVE will be that if you are NOT tanking, you will be drawing all the aggro away from the tank.
That other guy needs to switch to DPS stance then; if my tank can rip aggro then yours isn't doing his job.

badalchemist
12.16.2011 , 03:14 PM | #6
There are two dedicated DPS trees. I should certainly hope that there are "viable" specs. What do you even mean by "viable"?

gundamemo
12.16.2011 , 03:22 PM | #7
Each tree BUFF its corresponding cylinder/stance so if you were to use a stance you did not spec for, you are essentially doing 10%+ less dps than you should have been.

For pure pve dps, just spec purely into pyro/advance tech.

Darth_Precursor
12.16.2011 , 06:30 PM | #8
Advanced Prototype.

Powertech exclusive, purely DPS.
Dynaster- Operative Medic
Chillum- Deception Assassin

<GOML>
The Bastion

Ommadonn
12.16.2011 , 07:18 PM | #9
and you only get the extra threat from ion cylinders, not just from being a powertech.

LadyLayna
12.17.2011 , 01:07 AM | #10
I have to agree I am a DPS powertech and the adv prototype tree is the way to go! It gives you a giant boost to dps as well as helps on your heat gains which become rediculous until you get the skill tree point to reduce it every 8 seconds.

As far as threat goes you probably are using your ion cylinders which are for tanking only! Make sure you aren't using those unless you are tanking for your grp, or if you are off tanking im sure it would be helpful to switch them on in those occasions.