Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWTOR dying?

Turlinde
02.26.2012 , 08:01 PM | #1
Is SWTOR dying? Ques are longer and longer. So many of the good players that I levelled with never log in anymore it seems. Republic fleet on mt server used to have over 100 toons at off hours, and now its mainly 20-30. My server Helm of Garush was one of the top 5 population servers at one point. Now it seems more and more like a Ghostown.

What's going on?

EternalFinality
02.26.2012 , 08:04 PM | #2
It's certainly not growing....

Evuke
02.26.2012 , 08:05 PM | #3
Of course the population is dropping (contrary to what the 2008/2009 fanbois will tell you), and when gw2/tera/secret world/d3/etc are out and it will plummet even further.

you'd have to be brain dead to not notice the population decreasing:
- server queues are gone
- most servers are light/std now instead of full/very heavy
- fleets are <150 players now instead of 230+
- wz queues taking longer to pop
- fp groups harder to find
- less items on markets
- most friends in the friends list are "offline"
- where have all out guildies gone?
- etc

If they actually had 2 million subscribers just after launch when all the servers had queues and we had 230+ on the fleet in prime times i'd say it's pretty obvious we've already lost at least 1/3 of those 2 million subscribers, probably closer to half.

the ea quarterly shareholder statement in may will reveal the truth, they can't lie in that.

Elysion
02.26.2012 , 08:06 PM | #4
The servers they opened up post release to satisfy the queue complainers are, as expected by me and everyone else who understood how mmo launches work.

My server has good population and faction balance.

KyoMamoru
02.26.2012 , 08:09 PM | #5
Whenever a game comes out, players are all rushing at the same time to do the same amount of content. This means players are typically playing at around the same time slots, since the moment they get done with their obligations, they are immediately getting into the game. At this point, the MMO Veteran has finished most of the content that is in the game, obtained most of the PVP gear that he needs, and has now started to work on secondary characters, or even moved to a new server.

Beyond that, we have developers telling us that 'omg 1.2 will be awesome!' so there's even less of an incentive to play currently since almost everyone has a promise or two directed at their gaming enjoyment. For me, it's the buffs coming to my Healing Operative. Some players have even canceled their accounts until they see the 1.2 patch notes, and the whole developer conference deal.

Then there are the players that bought into the hype and are extremely dissatisfied with the game, who won't be returning. I learned at an early age never to follow a game pre-release, since it often just resulted in me being disappointed. My imagination is always more powerful than the latest game engine, so I've learned to cull my expectations by having none.

hurriedcorgi
02.26.2012 , 08:15 PM | #6
I was wondering if I was the only person noticing the DRASTIC decrease in players - at least when I play on the server I play on.

biowareftw
02.26.2012 , 08:16 PM | #7
http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Teala/01...-Maiden-Voyage

This is what happens when you create a ranged stun fest and the best pvp dps classes are also the easiest to play.

You quickly come to the conclusion...why bother.
Einstein's relativity work is a magnificent mathematical garb which fascinates, dazzles and makes people blind to the underlying errors. The theory is like a beggar clothed in purple whom ignorant people take for a king... its exponents are brilliant men but they are metaphysicists rather than scientists.- Nikola Tesla - New York Times (11 July 1935)

glenbruton
02.26.2012 , 08:18 PM | #8
Pick whichever server the aussies go to. Its always full

Telaan
02.26.2012 , 08:21 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by biowareftw View Post
http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Teala/01...-Maiden-Voyage

This is what happens when you create a ranged stun fest and the best pvp dps classes are also the easiest to play.

You quickly come to the conclusion...why bother.
I love when you peak your head in threads. Especially when you link threads that contain gems like this,

"Well another month has passed for SWTOR and yet again we see another huge drop off in numbers. In just two months this game went from having 11,800 players, with 85k hours played, to just under 5k players and 15k hours played. As stated before, in all my years of playing and following games on xfire, never have I seen a brand new triple AAA title fall so fast. If it keeps going at this rate of fall it'll be lucky to retain 25% of it's player base by the 6th month mark."

Yea.

Has the population decreased since launch? Yup. But you are clueless.
Kype Lightwave/Telaan Lightwave -Pot5- "Pistols' RP Apprentice"
Telaan Lightwave Pre-CU Jedi Knight -JKO- Bloodfin
Master LS/Master Defender/Healing 2xxx/Enhancer xxx3

Evuke
02.26.2012 , 08:26 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Telaan View Post
I love when you peak your head in threads. Especially when you link threads that contain gems like this,

"Well another month has passed for SWTOR and yet again we see another huge drop off in numbers. In just two months this game went from having 11,800 players, with 85k hours played, to just under 5k players and 15k hours played. As stated before, in all my years of playing and following games on xfire, never have I seen a brand new triple AAA title fall so fast. If it keeps going at this rate of fall it'll be lucky to retain 25% of it's player base by the 6th month mark."

Yea.

Has the population decreased since launch? Yup. But you are clueless.
the 11,800 figure he quoted was obviously xfire users (see the paragraph above the one you quoted), not the entire pop......