Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Isn't Veracity crafted gear better than Columni/rakata gear for tanking?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Isn't Veracity crafted gear better than Columni/rakata gear for tanking?

Kaigen
02.29.2012 , 10:04 PM | #11
Take a look at the Columi Helmet, it has 29 defense and 48 shield, and you can pull the enhancements out of extra helms (and gloves have the same one I think) to replace the crappy accuracy ones on other pieces. Veracity will still come out slightly ahead in terms of defensive secondaries, but Columi comes out ahead on Aim and Endurance and Armor.

iResist
02.29.2012 , 11:03 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
Take a look at the Columi Helmet, it has 29 defense and 48 shield, and you can pull the enhancements out of extra helms (and gloves have the same one I think) to replace the crappy accuracy ones on other pieces. Veracity will still come out slightly ahead in terms of defensive secondaries, but Columi comes out ahead on Aim and Endurance and Armor.
The only problem is, if you do that, your absorption becomes extremely LOW, because you remove the accuracy/absorb enhancements and replacing them with defense/shield... whereas veracity gear can have absorb in addition to defense/shield, not to mention that veracity gear has significantly more defense/shield on it to begin with as well!

Battilea
03.01.2012 , 01:34 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by iResist View Post
The only problem is, if you do that, your absorption becomes extremely LOW, because you remove the accuracy/absorb enhancements and replacing them with defense/shield... whereas veracity gear can have absorb in addition to defense/shield, not to mention that veracity gear has significantly more defense/shield on it to begin with as well!
Ah, but the other slots have absorb mods. So you use those over the defense mods. And any augment slots you have get absorb augments.

My boots, for example, have 48 shielding, 27 absorb, and 19 def, coupled with 134 end and 82 willpower.

Kaigen
03.01.2012 , 09:17 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by iResist View Post
And significantly less armor, once you start comparing it to Columi/Rakata gear. Armor may be less useful than the other defensive stats on a point by point basis, but the difference between Veracity gear and endgame gear is still significant. This is why if you're going to use Veracity pieces, you're better off doing it in the Ear/Implant/OH slot rather than armor, which costs you a lot of Armor, or MH, which costs you significant damage.

And a lot of Veracity gear doesn't have much absorb on it either, unless you get a piece with an augment slot, because Veracity RE boosts Shield and Defense, so you're stuck with the absorb provided by the basic recipe, which isn't much more than you can get from an endgame mod.

OlosBC
03.01.2012 , 11:12 AM | #15
Not sure about juggs or sins, but for powertechs/vanguards, most everything is a tech attack, based on tech power and not weapon damage, so replacing OH with crafted is almost as much of a dps/threat loss as replacing MH.

I use veracity ear/implants with 28 absorb augs. Would consider bracers/belt, but not really any armormechs on my server REing and selling them.

Mastermavrick
03.01.2012 , 01:11 PM | #16
i use Veracity ear piece / implants with augment slots -- absorb / shield rating +28's partial Rakata/columi and it works fine stat wise -- still iffy on all the accuracy vs switching in another stat but i rarely have problems tanking.

Take into account its secondary stats vs primary stats for columi/rakata ear implants vs crafted -- which gets you the better benefit to your stats.
Vulkar Highway Ulterior
OmegaX Powertech Tank

The Meat Shield up Front

Battilea
03.01.2012 , 04:07 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by OlosBC View Post
Not sure about juggs or sins, but for powertechs/vanguards, most everything is a tech attack, based on tech power and not weapon damage, so replacing OH with crafted is almost as much of a dps/threat loss as replacing MH.
Pretty much the same deal for Sins, mostly forced based. Not that we exactly have much choice in the matter, since there's no player made high level offhand item for us.

I use augment slotted earrings, implants, bracer, and belt currently.

Quote:
I use veracity ear/implants with 28 absorb augs. Would consider bracers/belt, but not really any armormechs on my server REing and selling them.
The one nice thing about the bracer slot is that there is a blue starting level 49 bracer, getting you 10 more each of the primary stat and endurance. The downside though is that, well, good luck finding anyone who has RE'd that up Veracity level on any server.

Luckily for me, I like to craft, so the cheapy versions (the ones that start green) are available on my server, at least, when I want them, since I like to target tanks as my market segment. Tanks care about gear, but also seem less inclined to make it, a win-win situation for a crafter. Haven't learned the cheapy PT bracers yet, don't play a PT tank, hehe, though I am working on it. Can be a pain though, I had to RE over 300 blue implants to finally get the recipe so I could get my second mastercraft implant.

iResist
03.01.2012 , 07:15 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Battilea View Post
Ah, but the other slots have absorb mods. So you use those over the defense mods. And any augment slots you have get absorb augments.

My boots, for example, have 48 shielding, 27 absorb, and 19 def, coupled with 134 end and 82 willpower.
Does only columi gear have absorb mods with that much absorb.....?

The item database sites don't say that it's the mod slot that has it, but the enhancement slot....

The most absorb I can find on mods is only like +6 or +8 .......... Usually it's the enhancement mod that has most of the defensive stats instead of the mod.

Kaigen
03.02.2012 , 11:53 AM | #19
Depends on which class's gear you're talking about. Mods on Trooper gear go up to +10 or +11 for secondaries on endgame sets. I think Battilea is talking about Shadow gear, though, whose mods have lower Willpower (compared to Aim on the Trooper mods) but secondary stats at +27 or +29.

For example, the mod in Rakata Survivor's Headgear (Shadow tank piece) has +37 Will, +48 End, and +29 Absorb. The mod in Rakata Supercommando's Helmet has +37 End, +61 Aim, and +11 Absorb.

Battilea
03.02.2012 , 12:49 PM | #20
Yeah, I guess Troopers get hosed a bit in that regard.

Both Assassins and Juggs get access to the higher absorb and defense mods. Even from things like the Freeing the Fallen daily.