Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Isn't Veracity crafted gear better than Columni/rakata gear for tanking?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Isn't Veracity crafted gear better than Columni/rakata gear for tanking?

iResist
02.26.2012 , 04:42 PM | #1
I was comparing the stats and Veracity crafted gear has WAY more damage mitigation stats, not just a little bit, but a LOT, especially master crafted Veracity gear.

Granted, if you need more DPS for threat generation, then Columni/rakata gear would be better.

Ibiza-Vin
02.26.2012 , 06:33 PM | #2
Yup. The veracity implants and earrings are currently best in slot I think.
Venni - 50 Assassin
<Casual>
Prophecy of the Five/ Port Nowhere

Kaigen
02.27.2012 , 12:18 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by iResist View Post
Granted, if you need more DPS for threat generation, then Columni/rakata gear would be better.
Therein lies the rub, as you need enough DPS to maintain threat over your DPS in rakata gear. That's not saying you can't use Veracity implants and ears and hold aggro, but it's something to keep in mind before you replace all your gear for mastercrafted Veracity in the name of greater mitigation.

Also, having a little bit more DPS coming from your tanks during burn phases can help in beating enrage timers; I keep my damage cooldowns and a DPS adrenal handy for fights that need burn but don't tax my surviveability. Which is another point: talk to your healers and find out how difficult it is for them to keep you up. If they're not having any problems, there's no point in drawing out fights by trading damage for being unnecessarily harder to kill.

iResist
02.27.2012 , 03:01 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
Therein lies the rub, as you need enough DPS to maintain threat over your DPS in rakata gear. That's not saying you can't use Veracity implants and ears and hold aggro, but it's something to keep in mind before you replace all your gear for mastercrafted Veracity in the name of greater mitigation.

Also, having a little bit more DPS coming from your tanks during burn phases can help in beating enrage timers; I keep my damage cooldowns and a DPS adrenal handy for fights that need burn but don't tax my surviveability. Which is another point: talk to your healers and find out how difficult it is for them to keep you up. If they're not having any problems, there's no point in drawing out fights by trading damage for being unnecessarily harder to kill.

All of what you said is very true, but tanking is not all about only flashpoints or operations.

I'll grab a complete set of mastercrafted Veracity gear for myself for soloing high level champion mobs. (there's some champion mobs that are tougher to solo than the rest, love getting great loot from them.)

might have to level up some professions to make them though, as it seems very few people make veracity gear for bounty hunters at max level , at least on my server.

Draconax
02.28.2012 , 03:10 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by iResist View Post
All of what you said is very true, but tanking is not all about only flashpoints or operations.

I'll grab a complete set of mastercrafted Veracity gear for myself for soloing high level champion mobs. (there's some champion mobs that are tougher to solo than the rest, love getting great loot from them.)

might have to level up some professions to make them though, as it seems very few people make veracity gear for bounty hunters at max level , at least on my server.
That's not really worthwhile though. Most 4 man heroics can be solo'ed by tank classes with a decently geared healer companion. My darkness assassin can solo every single daily quest with Talos, in columi gear. All veracity pieces would do is slow down my completion time.

iResist
02.28.2012 , 06:39 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Draconax View Post
That's not really worthwhile though. Most 4 man heroics can be solo'ed by tank classes with a decently geared healer companion. My darkness assassin can solo every single daily quest with Talos, in columi gear. All veracity pieces would do is slow down my completion time.

I highly doubt you are soloing the 4 man heroics that have 3 elites + 2 strong mobs in a group. Not unless you are doing the tactic of killing one quickly and running away to make them evade until the group is dwindled down to handle or if you outlevel the mobs.

Mithros
02.28.2012 , 08:23 PM | #7
After spending more millions of credits worth of materials than I probably care to know, I finally REd the entire powered ultramesh level 49 heavy armor set into redoubt gear, and then from redoubt to veracity.

I think that it broke my spirit. I hardly ever touch that BH any more. Been enjoying my trooper a lot and using as much orange gear as I can on them.

I need to repeat the process for the DPS heavy gear (for Torian Cadera) and DPS and healing medium gear (for Gault and Mako), but I really dread it.

All the time spent just trying to raise enough capital to blow through in a flash on the GTN and then blow through the materials in a flash to queue up product.
Then once you produce the gear, you RE it only to unlock the wrong combinations time and again, or worse yet, hit once out of 25 items and that hit be 'you already know this schematic' two or three batches in a row, especially when you only know one schematic.

Patch 1.2 is supposed to address some of that, though. We'll see.
Free stuff (for you and me)! My referral link.

Beta Squadron 157. The pixel lives on in our hearts.

iResist
02.28.2012 , 09:43 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
After spending more millions of credits worth of materials than I probably care to know, I finally REd the entire powered ultramesh level 49 heavy armor set into redoubt gear, and then from redoubt to veracity.

I think that it broke my spirit. I hardly ever touch that BH any more. Been enjoying my trooper a lot and using as much orange gear as I can on them.

I need to repeat the process for the DPS heavy gear (for Torian Cadera) and DPS and healing medium gear (for Gault and Mako), but I really dread it.

All the time spent just trying to raise enough capital to blow through in a flash on the GTN and then blow through the materials in a flash to queue up product.
Then once you produce the gear, you RE it only to unlock the wrong combinations time and again, or worse yet, hit once out of 25 items and that hit be 'you already know this schematic' two or three batches in a row, especially when you only know one schematic.

Patch 1.2 is supposed to address some of that, though. We'll see.

Damn I would pay a hellauva lot of credits for that veracity gear w/ augment slots !

No one ever makes it on my server :X actually I doubt anyone has those patterns on my server, or makes them for sell instead of personal use only.

Prolyfic
02.29.2012 , 02:46 PM | #9
the fact that they can get augment slotted is the only thing that makes it comparable gear. you can mod the columi gear into FAR preferable tank gear than veracity unless you have nothing but full aug slotted veracity and even then it would only be marginally better by 10-20 mitigation stats over columi. So with the amount of farming and crafting to get a full suit of purple recipes, then get that full suit crit augmented, you could have run 500 hm fps and been full columi loooooooong ago.

so in theory yes full slotted veracity is better than columi but in practice its nowhere near worth it for the time/cred investment

that said, I got the augment slot on my veracity ear pc, if I could I'd get the implants slotted. that's the only three pc of veracity that is worth slotting in the long run imo.

Quote:
it seems very few people make veracity gear for bounty hunters at max level , at least on my server.
there's a very good reason you are seeing that with the current state of armormech, when your BH hits max lvl and day 1 you upgrade your veracity piece you've been saving that you paid half a mil for, you'll see why.
Kaine - 50 Shieldtech - Razor
Raize
- 50 Marauder - Razor
Jugg vs PT: The Fundamental Difference

iResist
02.29.2012 , 07:18 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Prolyfic View Post
the fact that they can get augment slotted is the only thing that makes it comparable gear. you can mod the columi gear into FAR preferable tank gear than veracity unless you have nothing but full aug slotted veracity and even then it would only be marginally better by 10-20 mitigation stats over columi. So with the amount of farming and crafting to get a full suit of purple recipes, then get that full suit crit augmented, you could have run 500 hm fps and been full columi loooooooong ago.

so in theory yes full slotted veracity is better than columi but in practice its nowhere near worth it for the time/cred investment

that said, I got the augment slot on my veracity ear pc, if I could I'd get the implants slotted. that's the only three pc of veracity that is worth slotting in the long run imo.

there's a very good reason you are seeing that with the current state of armormech, when your BH hits max lvl and day 1 you upgrade your veracity piece you've been saving that you paid half a mil for, you'll see why.
As far as I can tell, columi gear has Accuracy and only 1 stat for damage mitigation, like +defense or +shield. While Veracity gear has +shield AND +defense, not to mention in much higher quantity than columi gear, plus of course you can augment them for +absorb.

I really don't see where you are getting that it would only be a stat difference of 10-20. You should be probably compare the stat differences and see just how much more mitigation stats veracity gear has.

My Bounty hunter is level 50 and I don't see gear that has anywhere as close to the damage mitigation stats compared to veracity gear.

Here lets just take a look at the chest pieces as an example:

Columi Bounty hunter chest piece.

notice that it only has +29 absorb as it's only damage mitigation stat

I couldn't seem to find a link to any Veracity gear on the item database websites...

But a piece of Veracity gear would have something like +40 shield and +60 Defense, then you can augment say +25 absorb into.

HUGE difference!