Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Darth Apprentices & their failures

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The Darth Apprentices & their failures

_Zorth_
02.26.2012 , 11:21 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ellrochell View Post
maul killed qui-gon... i think obi-wan just got lucky. He pretty much bested them both when fighting them at the same time. How can he not be worthy of sith lord??

But I agree, He's lucked out many times. Maul, Griveous, Anakin.. hmmm?
He always took a huge gamble at the end of those fights.

Or Obi-Wan was just a very skilled jedi, even as padawan?
The Red Eclipse
Best Player World Wide
..Greedo shot first

Wolfninjajedi
02.26.2012 , 11:22 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by _Zorth_ View Post

But I agree, He's lucked out many times. Maul, Griveous, Anakin.. hmmm?
He always took a huge gamble at the end of those fights.

Or Obi-Wan was just a very skilled jedi, even as padawan?
He was pretty much a knight when he fought against Maul.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

deags
02.26.2012 , 11:34 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
He was pretty much a knight when he fought against Maul.
Also qui gon jinn could of been master ranked if he didn't disobey the council.

So basically Darth Maul kicked the crap out of 1 of master skill rank and 1 of knight skill rank and would of won the battle if he just finished the job...

maybe if he had this sound in the background things would of gone differently
Vors, sith assassin of Guild Grievance
www.grievanceguild.com

marcusaxavier
02.27.2012 , 07:10 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by deags View Post
Also qui gon jinn could of been master ranked if he didn't disobey the council.

So basically Darth Maul kicked the crap out of 1 of master skill rank and 1 of knight skill rank and would of won the battle if he just finished the job...

maybe if he had this sound in the background things would of gone differently
I just (finally) watched TFM in 3D yesterday and it reminded me that Obi-Wan gives into his anger a little when fighting Maul, which may have given him the edge over Qui-Gon. And, in reading the Darth Plagueis novel, it mentions how Maul is obsessed with killing a Jedi Master to prove how great of a fighter he was. This would reinforce the theory that he did not take Obi-Wan, a mere Padawan (or at least as far as he knew), as a serious threat. If you notice, Maul's demeanor changed after killing Qui-Gon from angry to mocking.

So, you add Obi-Wan's anger with Maul's lack of taking Obi-Wan seriously, and that is why Obi-Wan won the fight. It was circumstance, not luck or skill that won the fight.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature...

FoolsErrand
02.27.2012 , 08:51 AM | #15
If you read Shadow Hunter and Darth Plagueis, it goes into a bit more detail of the past and personality of Maul. He tended to become over confident when facing anyone but a jedi master (in Shadow Hunter he also kills a jedi master) and he tends to not take the fight seriously. In the Plagueis novel it's revealed that Plagueis had Sidious raise Maul to be an assassin, Sidious might have wanted more for Maul, but Maul got killed off before anything more could be done with him.
Never give up! Never surrender!

SNEAKYSIX
02.27.2012 , 09:03 AM | #16
Not to mention the failure of Darth Blair, who lead a fallen empire with his own progaganda, extened to regime change on the false premises of a planet capable of evil had weapons of mass destruction.
Later opposed by his own sith house and gave up leadership to a lesser lord.
You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?... It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."

Riotus
02.27.2012 , 11:41 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Solrac View Post
Always tho? I remember other apprentices to other Sith Lords (Ventress comes to mind) never automatically received Darth status. Also, Sidious put Maul through some grueling trial in a cave somewhere if I remember correctly.

Lastly, an argument can be made for Vader, but I see Maul as being seriously unprepared for the power, responsibilities, enemies, etc. that come with that title.
Ventress was dooku's apprentice, who was sidious' apprentice. which is why she would not be a darth.