Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So who has been RPing?

TheCruxis
12.16.2011 , 02:56 PM | #21
I don't have much experience of RP but I started on a RP-PVP server (I have to play on a pvp server, pve are for wimps). There is little to no role-playing as far as I have seen, but I don't think we can judge at such an early point. The game is not even out yet, techicly.

When people say "it's to early for RP" I don't think it has anything to do with being low level or at the begining of the game. This game is brand new and people simply wish to get a sense of familiarty with it before begining to roleplay I suspect.

Sadly the RP servers seem to draw in a bunch of people who dislikes RP and that I can not understand. Its fine by me if you dont want to roleplay but at our server we get people that use character names like "Ninja" and spam the party chat about "skipping conversation" in instances (I'm not against skipping them if the whole party has done it before and agrees to skipping it ofc). Why doesn't TOR have a function that prevents "silly" names on RP servers like WoW has?

M_Blackstone
12.16.2011 , 05:38 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by hooty View Post
I rolled on "Shien" last night and found it to be indistinguishable from a PvE server. Many people in the general kept saying it's "too early for RP". To that I say rubbish. It's a RP server.

Also at least two people said they were not intending to go on a RP server but that is where their guild got placed. I am sorely tempted to re-roll tonight on another server to see if they are any better.
I agree. if your on an RP server you should know the basic concepts of RP and RP from day 1 so to speak.... else - why bother... but anyway ... Im going to digress this conversation into a big issue - which its not - All Im saying is ... if you are an RPer.. please RP so your fellow RPers can know there is HOPE ;-)

hooty
12.16.2011 , 07:31 PM | #23
I don't expect everyone to RP, even on an RP server I did expect to find "some" at least in the 4 hour window I played. I'm kind of new to this kind of RP myself, so maybe I wasn't looking in the right places. Will keep at it.

Also I was full-beta since September so I'm pretty well versed on all the "starter" and "home" planets and looking to do some RP right away. "In character" I'm like someone who has been to (or is from that) that planet, who might bump into a new visitor and could "show them around" so to speak. I will still do all the quests and dialog etc. even if I've done them 10 times before. That's how I roll.

Anyone on Shien, look me up. My PC names are in my sig.

Have fun out there!

Thx, H
Tabris Legacy @ The Ebon Hawk
Yes, it is SW(KO)TOR. I like it that way, except when I don't.

cnowak
12.17.2011 , 04:45 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by TheCruxis View Post
I don't have much experience of RP but I started on a RP-PVP server (I have to play on a pvp server, pve are for wimps). There is little to no role-playing as far as I have seen, but I don't think we can judge at such an early point. The game is not even out yet, techicly.

When people say "it's to early for RP" I don't think it has anything to do with being low level or at the begining of the game. This game is brand new and people simply wish to get a sense of familiarty with it before begining to roleplay I suspect.

Sadly the RP servers seem to draw in a bunch of people who dislikes RP and that I can not understand. Its fine by me if you dont want to roleplay but at our server we get people that use character names like "Ninja" and spam the party chat about "skipping conversation" in instances (I'm not against skipping them if the whole party has done it before and agrees to skipping it ofc). Why doesn't TOR have a function that prevents "silly" names on RP servers like WoW has?
Extremely rude.

Apax
12.17.2011 , 07:58 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by M_Blackstone View Post
I agree. if your on an RP server you should know the basic concepts of RP and RP from day 1 so to speak.... else - why bother... but anyway ... Im going to digress this conversation into a big issue - which its not - All Im saying is ... if you are an RPer.. please RP so your fellow RPers can know there is HOPE ;-)
I agree. I see the following excuses every time in every MMO I play, including this one. It never fails:

"It's too early for people to role-play."
"People are busy getting settled in, later on we'll see plenty of role-play."
"Don't really expect role-play in the starter area as people are still getting their footing."

I just find that kind of talk ridiculous. If you're serious about immersing yourself in the game world then you're role-playing the moment your character first enters the game world (especially then, in my opinion, while the wow-factor is still at a high). It's never going to get easier than at that point.

I don't expect players to walk everywhere, but it's not hard to make an in-character comment to someone else you run across them out in the wilds while fighting. "What would I do in my character's place?".. that's all you have to ask yourself. That doesn't mean you have to engage in a 10+ minute conversation with them, just a simple greeting or in-character question ("I'm looking for three lost younglings. Have you seen them?")or warning about the area ("Mind your surroundings, there are plenty of Fleshings about!") is all it takes. Congrats, you role-played with someone and didn't have to reach a higher level, settle in, or wait until we're weeks into launch to do it.

If it takes people weeks to prep for what they consider to be proper role-play, or they can't imagine doing it until they've maxed their character level, etc.. then either they're doing it wrong or they're doing a type of role-play I have zero interest in seeing. Huge events, role-play hotspots, etc are nice, but they're often forced and I myself prefer to see more spontaneous character interaction myself.

Darth_Slaine
12.17.2011 , 09:10 PM | #26
Generally I have found roleplay on Ebon Hawk whenever I stop for more than a few minutes between quests. Most of it was walk-up random RP but some was a product of the RP Pen Pals Ring.

Wystlin
12.18.2011 , 09:45 AM | #27
I brought some rp with me to the server in the form of a few scattered friends, and I wish folk would stop telling others when to rp.

Rp is a creative process, I don't tell you to drop and give me 10 lines of poetry you don't tell me to drop and give you a deep character building rp session. Each server will find it's own personality. This is how it works. Some folk rp out the gate, some rp only at level cap, some spend all their time in crafted scenes.

None if it is wrong, ALL of it encourages more.

Bobinator
12.18.2011 , 10:09 AM | #28
I've had a few guild chat RP...not much else, I think others are using the "Too early to RP" clause out in public so everything for me RP wise has been done in guild chat. FUN NEVER THE LESS with my RP...army recruiter is like JOIN UP! Im like but im a dishonorable discharge...GOOD SOLDIERS FOLLOW ORDERS...Dead soldiers followed order to the R.

So yea my Ex-SAR Trooper now turned Mercenary is going well. OH and he drinks...and loves to drink, hell theres a family tradition of making armors and his prices are mostly the material and one case of alcohol, the better/rarity of/stronger the brew the better the armor will be.
As of right now, i'm rash free.

recoveringgeek
12.18.2011 , 12:21 PM | #29
I finally had a chance to slow down and smell the Alderaanian roses last night. I ran the Essles quest with my Scoundrel, and I partied up with three strangers. While it was mostly run 'n gun due to the hectic pace of the mission, I was adding a few colourful comments at the beginning like;

"This is the fun shuttle boys, hope you brought your motion sickness bags."

I was trying to find my voice, and sprinkle something fun in before the action.

Afterwards, I finally just sat down at a cantina in Carrick Station, and did some people watching, as my next trip is to Coruscant, and I know I'll have a ton of exploring to do there.

Eventually a Jedi (Rendron?) came along who was willing to share a drink with me (water, ha!). We discussed the points of view of the war between a Jedi and an independant.

He was a Mirakulan, and he told me he was sensing my "alignment" using his race's abilities, so I gave him my Light/Dark score, and then he reacted to that in-character based on my comments, which was fun.

I had told some of my in-person friends that I don't want to race to the end, and I want to be able to sit in a cantina and not feel like I am wasting time, but just enjoy the ambiance. I know I could join a rp-Guild, but between work and family, my time to play can be limited, so I don't want to make a commitement to a group I can't keep.

Just my .02 credits.

Jaade, Scoundrel and grizzled old-timer on Begeren Colony
~
If you don't Like A G6, then Roll A D6

fungihoujo
12.18.2011 , 02:12 PM | #30
I've done some in guild RP, seen a bit happening around me. Mostly I've been doing quests though, since I want to see the game.

As more people join the game and get settled, you'll see more of it... I'll also do more as some of my friends who aren't in game yet get in.