So who has been RPing?

Yospeck

Be interested to know what you have all been up to so far. Right now our two Campaign guilds are focusing on getting things set up, working out where we want to make our RP bases, and generally just enjoying playing the game with the full intention of starting our guild RP in the new year and hitting our server, Trask Ulgo, big time. As we're very story-arc/event driven we came to a decision with our members to not push anything too heavy due to the staggered release and impending holiday season meaning some people would miss out. So we're taking December to get things together and start out fresh in January.

That said, we (both our guilds) have tried out some more light loose fitting RP in the Esseles and Black Talon flashpoints. The loose RP was simply because IC'ly it makes no sense for our characters to have been doing those types of mission, but we thought it was an interesting setting to try things out, act in the way our characters would, but not take the event as something the character really did (almost like some alternate reality RP). Spurred on by our Republic co-Guild Leader who took a team through the Esseles, rping out the story and talking their way through it, I decided to take three of my guys through Black Talon the other night.

We are an Imperial Military guild and so that was how we RPd out the encounter, lots of yessir and nossirs to yours truly from the three troopers under my charge. We walked around the ship talking to each other in character, and when..

.. you are first given the mission to take the bridge from the Captain and told to follow the droid, we waited until it left so we could talk in private about our mission and my characters, the commanding NCO, opinion on how to deal with traitors and cowards! Also giving them a warning that we didn't know how loyal this crew may be to their Captain if we tried to take over the ship (though we found that out as soon as we walked around the corner!)

An awesome moment when we stormed the bridge when one of our troopers, Quen, ran over to the non-combat NPC bridge technicians pointing his rifle and telling them to put their hands up whilst the rest of us casually walked up to the bridge with our weapons at the ready.

The encounter was run in a military style, stopping at the corners of corridors and taking a /kneel before peering around the corner to see what hostiles were around. Sending someone forward to scout ahead and give us an enemy count. Even as a Bounty Hunter class I was taking cover behind bulkheads and the like during attacks when we were taking another room, the firm "Clear!" sounding out from one of my team as the last of our hostile was dispatched whilst another held back to cover our rear.

Sitting and planning out how we would take each room was great fun, in particular one of the larger rooms where we got our members to position themselves at different points, awaiting my signal before they all took their designated targets and performed their own objective and hearing the call of "Grenade!" echo out as one of the troopers let the shrapnel fly.

The evening was great fun and in total it took us about two and a half hours to actually complete what is a pretty simple and easy flashpoint :D I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to try something a little different and loose fitting RP that may be a step away from your more defined IC roles that you or your guild has set.

Anyway, that was our experience, so tell us yours!

I've been RPing quite a bit with my friend leveling through Sith Academy, walking down the halls and having random conversations.

It's been fun, but there has been an abundance of RP'ers (which is to be expected in the first few weeks since everyone is so busy leveling etc), but we've kept on toggling walk on happily. A few times some folk stopped when they ran past us but everyone seemed very busy ^^.

It gives a nice extra feeling to your character when you take your time to take it all in. Also, damn, this game is good.

See you on Lord Calypho RP-PVP!

I came across an interesting way to employ RPing yesterday;

A character named Ledar found it neccessary to ninja loot a spot I had been waiting on to spawn for several minutes.

I was fighting a mob while he (or she) went in for the loot.

No message, nothing. While I was perfectly ok to group up if I had known.

I whispered the person telling him/her that I didn't find this very social on which I got an RP reply completely in character.

While it was nice to see that there actually is RPing going on, it immediately brought something to my attention; how valid or how accepted is it to hide behind RPing to do things in-game which are a-social, or disruptive?

The argument you would get would typically be that the person in question is an evil bastard, so what do you expect?

I don't believe this is what Rping is about, though. :(

Edited by Yskonyn

Been watching on Lord Adraas but seems too early, not enough RPers around who know the territories and missions so everyone spends most of their time looking around and enjoying the scenery while plowing through quests. I think it's too early for any unoffiical coordination to take place, we just got within the five day mark as of yesterday so I'd imagine it'll be a slow start. Once we get a lot of RP guilds and groups all active on their unofficial-official RP servers, things are bound to happen - and music will be played :)

Been watching on Lord Adraas but seems too early, not enough RPers around who know the territories and missions so everyone spends most of their time looking around and enjoying the scenery while plowing through quests. I think it's too early for any unoffiical coordination to take place, we just got within the five day mark as of yesterday so I'd imagine it'll be a slow start. Once we get a lot of RP guilds and groups all active on their unofficial-official RP servers, things are bound to happen - and music will be played :)

Loving Lord Adraas; actually managed to make quite a few friends on Tython. Jedi-side seems very roleplay heavy. I think I'll jump in here...

Got to spend a lovely amount of time with one particular Jedi Knight, questing, and relaxing; we were both anxious to actually play the game, though bits of roleplay consistently cropped up through our playthrough. Occasionally, we'd hammer down for some serious roleplay. Must've lasted ages, with my Consular constantly hemming and hawing about her combat ability, the Knight arguing against the Temple's prohibition of love, my Consular geeking out over ruins of Telthon and the Knight saving her butt, repeatedly, from Flesh Raiders.

Rubat Crystal (especially Hutta), however, looks dead. Got to have some fun with an Imperial Agent, however. Also, no RP channel.

I suggest people start joining 'RP' and 'OOC', to get a start.

Edited by TheDecibelle

I'm open to roleplay but so far nothing's really come along with a lot of the environments I've experienced so far (i.e. Coruscant) being jam-packed with mobs - there wasn't really a bustling cityscape beyond the Senate area to get to grips with so the possibility of roleplay was almost entirely confined to narrow, unseemly corridors where groups of criminals popped up every few seconds.

I'm hoping Taris affords a few more opportunities. Certainly I've designed my character to allow me to go almost anywhere given reason and it wouldn't be surprising if, eventually, I sought out a colleague or friend for him to roleplay with in the long-term and throughout the content. I don't tend to like doing things alone as there's a lot of wasted potential there but unfortunately I'm yet to reestablish contact with the person who usually fills that roll so I'll just stay open to interaction.

I have seen a few people walking around. That's the hallmark of a roleplayer, am I right?

I myself have not yet roleplayed, though. The fact that there are no chat bubbles ruins the immersion for me entirely, so until they are in the game I'm just going to ignore /say and roleplaying altogether.

I've seen alot of random RP on Trash Ulgo, especially around the city hubs but even out in the wilds and occasionaly in PvP too.

This game is soooo huge tracking down RP can be tricky if you love it off the cuff.

In a few weeks things will settle and each server will start to pick places as hotspots for RP.

I rolled on "Shien" last night and found it to be indistinguishable from a PvE server. Many people in the general kept saying it's "too early for RP". To that I say rubbish. It's a RP server.

Also at least two people said they were not intending to go on a RP server but that is where their guild got placed. I am sorely tempted to re-roll tonight on another server to see if they are any better.

I've really not take the time to roleplay with other players, because I'm really enjoying my storyline. It's so fun, and so immersive that I don't want to be disturbed on the way. I consider this as roleplaying aswell. I'm roleplaying alone, but I'm having fun! :)

I have seen a few people walking around. That's the hallmark of a roleplayer, am I right?

It's a good catalyst for RP yes. Hanging out in hubs like the cantina or around the crafting areas can be another good catalyst for RP.

To another comment I also think saying it's too early for RP is bogus. It's never too early for RP, and I believe when a server shows early signs of RP it makes the RP community on that server strong.

I rolled on "Shien" last night and found it to be indistinguishable from a PvE server. Many people in the general kept saying it's "too early for RP". To that I say rubbish. It's a RP server.

Yeah, I've never understood that particular excuse; it always strikes me as a cop out. I shift to role-play mode the moment my character first appears on the screen for the very first time. I don't feel like I have to be max level before I can start acting like I'm a part of this virtual world.

I have yet to have a chance to rp sadly. I blame this on the fact of the lack of /say when I was last one and General is more for ooc then IC (which is fine by me).

Eventually I am sure I will run into some rp, but for now-- I gotta lvl my people and figure them out a bit better.

Rubbish or not, I think it is a bit too early to expect to find alot of RP.

Most people are probably trying to get at least past their Capital City before the actual launch brings a flood of people into the newbie zones.

I say patience will be a virtue in that case - standing around in cantinas or walking around the world to try and attract other roleplayers may help.

That being said, a custom RP Channel on each server, or some planned events in the Server Events - RP Servers subforums could help coordinate the RP community a bit

RP is pretty heavy on Sanctum of the Exalted, and not just in cantinas, but the outside world. I thought that was awesome. I'm happy I was deployed there.

I've not seen any at all :(. Korriban last night was troll central in chat. I don't type fast enough in chat to respond to RP and interact much with the RP'ers, but I do respect it and try to stay in character, and not crash anyone's RP.

I hope that pox in /general fades away even though I consider it OOC. Bioware does need to enable the ability to create custom channels.

I don't have much experience of RP but I started on a RP-PVP server (I have to play on a pvp server, pve are for wimps). There is little to no role-playing as far as I have seen, but I don't think we can judge at such an early point. The game is not even out yet, techicly.

When people say "it's to early for RP" I don't think it has anything to do with being low level or at the begining of the game. This game is brand new and people simply wish to get a sense of familiarty with it before begining to roleplay I suspect.

Sadly the RP servers seem to draw in a bunch of people who dislikes RP and that I can not understand. Its fine by me if you dont want to roleplay but at our server we get people that use character names like "Ninja" and spam the party chat about "skipping conversation" in instances (I'm not against skipping them if the whole party has done it before and agrees to skipping it ofc). Why doesn't TOR have a function that prevents "silly" names on RP servers like WoW has?

Edited by TheCruxis

Also at least two people said they were not intending to go on a RP server but that is where their guild got placed. I am sorely tempted to re-roll tonight on another server to see if they are any better.

I agree. if your on an RP server you should know the basic concepts of RP and RP from day 1 so to speak.... else - why bother... but anyway ... Im going to digress this conversation into a big issue - which its not - All Im saying is ... if you are an RPer.. please RP so your fellow RPers can know there is HOPE ;-)

I don't expect everyone to RP, even on an RP server;) I did expect to find "some" at least in the 4 hour window I played. I'm kind of new to this kind of RP myself, so maybe I wasn't looking in the right places. Will keep at it.

Also I was full-beta since September so I'm pretty well versed on all the "starter" and "home" planets and looking to do some RP right away. "In character" I'm like someone who has been to (or is from that) that planet, who might bump into a new visitor and could "show them around" so to speak. I will still do all the quests and dialog etc. even if I've done them 10 times before. That's how I roll.

Anyone on Shien, look me up. My PC names are in my sig.

Have fun out there!

Thx, H

I don't have much experience of RP but I started on a RP-PVP server (I have to play on a pvp server, pve are for wimps). There is little to no role-playing as far as I have seen, but I don't think we can judge at such an early point. The game is not even out yet, techicly.

When people say "it's to early for RP" I don't think it has anything to do with being low level or at the begining of the game. This game is brand new and people simply wish to get a sense of familiarty with it before begining to roleplay I suspect.

Sadly the RP servers seem to draw in a bunch of people who dislikes RP and that I can not understand. Its fine by me if you dont want to roleplay but at our server we get people that use character names like "Ninja" and spam the party chat about "skipping conversation" in instances (I'm not against skipping them if the whole party has done it before and agrees to skipping it ofc). Why doesn't TOR have a function that prevents "silly" names on RP servers like WoW has?

Extremely rude.

I agree. if your on an RP server you should know the basic concepts of RP and RP from day 1 so to speak.... else - why bother... but anyway ... Im going to digress this conversation into a big issue - which its not - All Im saying is ... if you are an RPer.. please RP so your fellow RPers can know there is HOPE ;-)

I agree. I see the following excuses every time in every MMO I play, including this one. It never fails:

"It's too early for people to role-play."

"People are busy getting settled in, later on we'll see plenty of role-play."

"Don't really expect role-play in the starter area as people are still getting their footing."

I just find that kind of talk ridiculous. If you're serious about immersing yourself in the game world then you're role-playing the moment your character first enters the game world (especially then, in my opinion, while the wow-factor is still at a high). It's never going to get easier than at that point.

I don't expect players to walk everywhere, but it's not hard to make an in-character comment to someone else you run across them out in the wilds while fighting. "What would I do in my character's place?".. that's all you have to ask yourself. That doesn't mean you have to engage in a 10+ minute conversation with them, just a simple greeting or in-character question ("I'm looking for three lost younglings. Have you seen them?")or warning about the area ("Mind your surroundings, there are plenty of Fleshings about!") is all it takes. Congrats, you role-played with someone and didn't have to reach a higher level, settle in, or wait until we're weeks into launch to do it.

If it takes people weeks to prep for what they consider to be proper role-play, or they can't imagine doing it until they've maxed their character level, etc.. then either they're doing it wrong or they're doing a type of role-play I have zero interest in seeing. Huge events, role-play hotspots, etc are nice, but they're often forced and I myself prefer to see more spontaneous character interaction myself.