Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

This World Desperately Needs Bringing to Life

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
This World Desperately Needs Bringing to Life

Jaedda
12.16.2011 , 12:49 AM | #1
There are a lot of things I love about this game (story, cut-scenes, voice-acting), it has a lot of potential, but I'm finding it a real chore. I tried to think through why that is, and I think...

1. The mobs (and also other non-interactive characters) just stand around with their hands in their pockets. They don't walk patrol routes, talk, or any such thing, which makes them 'lifeless'. Compare this world to Skyrim and it seems dead. Ok, I know Skyrim is single player, but even other MMO's have patrol routes for mobs. Take a leaf from games like Skyrim or Arkham city where the NPCs have CHARACTER. Hell, a lot of the fun in Arkham City is just listening to the NPCs talk to each other. This is perfectly possible even in an MMO, and would add SO MUCH. Why do we have to settle for second best just because we're playing an MMO?

2. I seem to spend 50% of my time running through empty corridors. The game space is just TOO large and needs to be more populated. Quests have me running through areas where sometimes I'm running for 1-2 minutes without even seeing any mobs... that's just dull.

3. Mobs have next to no AI. Guys 20 feet away just stand around watching you beat on their friends. No one calls for help, nobody tries to run or hide. They're just standing target practice.

I don't think these things would be too difficult to fix, but they make SUCH a huge difference to the immersion factor. I hope they (the developers/designers) are out there listening to player feedback.

morganlion
12.16.2011 , 01:01 AM | #2
Actualy this isnt a bad post. I think they will tweek it alittle. Perhaps they have their own low setting on right at the moment. They are expecting a huge turn out so i think in the next couple weeks they most likely will address this. I am with you on the adds man walk patrols and call for help.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes".

Gruntvigs
12.16.2011 , 01:09 AM | #3
I played the second to last beta test weekend. I didn't mind the lack of mobs everywhere.
Running in empty corridors was relaxing for this 58 yr old gamer...I hate the constant attacking mobs that gankd you just as you were about to kill the mob you first encountered.
Had to run back to kill him again?...thats a boring grind fest and one of the reasons I stop playing World of Waiting.

I haven't gotten in line to start playing yet, but to me the perfect MMO would be the best of Shadow Bane my very first mmo, the EQ bank slot any toon on any server could access. The pvp from DAOC. Some of Wow best features, And the variability of Rift toons having the ability to make up to five trees with the skills you wanted...and their zone invasions except making it a huge pvp zone were the invasions was the other factions. Rifts public groups worked great it should be one of the features I am hoping SWTOR adopts.

the thing I dislike about all MMO's is having to have different armors for pve, pvp, etc.
Just dam good armor that works everywhere. I hate climbing 3 or 4 different ladders and the worst part of wow was making the best armor via the lame Arena grind.

I'm hoping this game makes improvements on a continual basis otherwise I'm giving up on this genre of gaming.

Jaedda
12.16.2011 , 01:28 AM | #4
I don't want to get ganked everywhere either, but I just spent 3 minutes getting from my quest giver to the start of the quest running through corridors of NPCs who were LOOKING like they were talking, but no words coming out of their mouths. That means (including the way back) I spent 6 minutes just running with nothing more than the sound of my footsteps... does that sound fun to you? If you're going to have me run that far at least have them exchanging some amusing dialogue to make the journey a little more interesting!

ArchSyndikit
12.16.2011 , 03:27 AM | #5
1. Mobs DO in fact have patrol routes, just not alot of them. You rarely will see mobs patrol that are out of an organized faction or group like the Mandalorians or Empire/Republic. BTW....your own factions NPCs do talk in ambiance.

2. It's STAR wars....Not Earth Wars. This game is supposed to be HUGE. If the people who have the resources like the empire like to build big frickin towers and statues with staggering long hallways then they can and will to emphasize their resolve and well-being. And also...who wants to run into mobs every 3 seconds? i sure as hell don't.

3. If you are fighting 3-4 mobs with your companion and more than half of those mobs are elites....i can bet you that u would be glad those mobs DON'T call for help. Nuff said on this matter.

If u spend more time judging the game as a whole instead of suggesting ways to improve it outside of the game itself then u aren't really giving constructive criticism. Suggest a way to HELP not to demean the developers hard work. I understand you didn't try to be cynical but take the above as a message. Play the game...post what should be "changed" no added in.

MasterAidenFlux
12.16.2011 , 03:30 AM | #6
I think that there could be a more lively NPC population in the cities for examples, but that's all. I have no complaints about the AI.

Drakos
12.16.2011 , 03:42 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterAidenFlux View Post
I think that there could be a more lively NPC population in the cities for examples, but that's all. I have no complaints about the AI.
I feel similarly. Perhaps, for now, it's because I've been in low-level zones but from what I've seen the NPCs in this game are more lively than most other games I've played, and the AI isn't awful.
Cadiva: The fundamental thing I have to ask is "am I enjoying playing this".

The only person who can tell you whether or not you should resub for TOR is you.

Aussiedroid
12.16.2011 , 03:55 AM | #8
I agree with the original post, and was one of the feedbacks I provided in beta. To this part of the game it feels a bit unfinished and does need some love to bring the life into the world. Size of the world aside, certain places, cities or trading areas should be bussling, should be all sorts of aliens, conversations and other side quests that may open up on engaging some of these NPCs. Other areas should stay the same, sometimes you should have a desolate area.

I hope that improvements will be made here as the core of the game is very solid indeed and much fun to play.

Cheers.
... No, I'm not the droid your looking for!

zombieinferno
12.16.2011 , 04:04 AM | #9
Admittedly it is hard going from playing Skyrim to a set MMO. On one part I do agree, on another point, I don't want to have to search for a quest-giver so I can do a turn in. A little meandering is acceptable but I don't want to have to go all over the place.

One of the things I commented the most about during Beta was the expansiveness of the areas did lead to the feeling that I spent more time running than anything else. If there was a lot of players in a corridor before me, i did end up spending a lot of time running without encountering any mobs. I can only hope at higher levels that the AI for mobs is more dynamic that they will patrol, come to the aid of other mobs and/or have larger agro ranges.

Gaun
12.16.2011 , 04:08 AM | #10
Personally I don't feel there is ENOUGH game space.. all I wanted to say..