Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Palpatine forgot about the rule of 2

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Palpatine forgot about the rule of 2

Guildrum
02.24.2012 , 05:19 PM | #11
And who was there to wag their finger in his face and tell him, "No no Mr. bad Palpatine..."
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

DarkCelestial
02.24.2012 , 05:20 PM | #12
Darth Maul was just a puppet Palpatine used as an assassin. Darth Maul was never truly Palpatine's apprentice.
"I fight for the future…and the future is NOW!"

Toonimator
02.24.2012 , 05:25 PM | #13
Maul believed he was Sith, and that was probably enough. I think the idea was revealing the Sith to the Jedi, and making them wonder, so Sidious had to know that the Jedi somehow were aware of the Rule of Two. So, present them with a so-called Sith Lord, a Darth. Then they'll think there's only one more out there... when really, there's still two (for a brief time, anyway, until Palpatine kills Plagueis).

But whoever said it seems like a poor retcon is correct; Plagueis wasn't even hinted at in TPM. Lucas probably didn't even come up with the name until writing Revenge of the Sith (or it was on a list of rejected names for Sidious, Maul, or Tyranus; I doubt it was ever applied to Palpatine's predecessor before 2002).

As for following the letter if not the spirit of the Rule, I look on it as a way for Dooku and Sidious to have a stable of potential replacements ready in case Sidious tires of Tyranus & kills him, or Tyranus makes a play for power & kills Sidious, or the Jedi manage to find, engage, and defeat one or the other of 'em.

Plus it gives us a lot more Dark Jedi-types for the Jedi to fight in the Clone Wars. JUST fighting droids, or the all-too-rare organic Sep troops, gets pretty monotonous. Throwing an occasional saber duel into the mix is nice to see.

Bejarid
02.24.2012 , 05:32 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
But he did. Obi Wan survived because of plot armor. Besides, Darth Maul's book (Shadow Hunter I believe) describes him as a "Dark Lord of the Sith."
Shadow Hunter was written with Maul's perspective in mind, and he of course saw himself as a Dark Lord - regardless of his actual position within the hierarchy.
Aurrn (Commando DPS) Bejarid (Sentinel)
The Shadowlands

DarthDeangelis
02.24.2012 , 07:36 PM | #15
I may be missing some info on this, but i understand that Darth Bane created this rule.

Now, we are talking about the Sith.

Why in the world should the current Dark Lord of the Sith follow the rule of a dead Sith Lord. Whats stopping the current Dark Lord from repealing this rule?

In my opinion the rule is irrelevant. Bane is dead, Palpatine is ruler of the Sith, as far as im concerned, he can do whatever he wants with the Sith.
Celebrate victory, but humbly. The dead man would not want us to gloat.

BrandonSM
02.24.2012 , 07:43 PM | #16
I'd like to think as soon as the Grand Plan was initiated/Made the Ro2 didn't really exist anymore.

The whole point of the Ro2 is to wipe out the Republic and Jedi. And the Grand Plan was the specific plan made by Plageuis and Sidious. And pretty much that was it. Maul, Dooku and everyone else were planned to die. Dooku was a place-holder Maul was a plain assassin. Etc.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Mechavomit
02.24.2012 , 07:45 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDeangelis View Post
Why in the world should the current Dark Lord of the Sith follow the rule of a dead Sith Lord. Whats stopping the current Dark Lord from repealing this rule?
Because the rule is efficient? Why would Palps trouble himself with another 100+ incompetent back-stabbers biting each-other's feet? Plus, as soon as the Jedi find out about them, the whole "Grand Plan" would be in danger if not ruined completely.
It's a lot easier for him to keep one smart guy by his side, who is loyal enough to do everything for him.

Palpatine follows the most important rule ever: if you want something done right, do it yourself.

hattertea
02.25.2012 , 01:59 AM | #18
Puppets and pawns the lot of them... Even Dooku was a pawn.

"C2-N2 - The only thing that crits is his voice in your earchannel!"

Idunhavaname
02.25.2012 , 04:29 AM | #19
I saw Vetress more as Mara Jade with not exactly being Sith apprentice but more secret assassins. Grievous is a droid with a heart (literally) who likes to collect lightsabers so he doesn't count.

RIP orange pixel

Mecblade
02.25.2012 , 04:55 AM | #20
The rule of two doesn't matter anyway. It was a failed attempt to perfect the Sith way. Sith can never truely escape from the true Sith way; have as many servants as you like and use them until they're dead or you are.
"The Jedi are fools. They limit their minds with their rules. Knowledge is what leads to strength, strength leads to true power and true power leads to Immortality.Death is Immortality!!!!