adding a good pvp game to swtor

Rallic

I'm a DAoC fan and still play a it, a 14.99./m sub for a 12ish year old MMO that did all most every thing right for PvP , pve was and is very lacking. For its day it was one of the top mmos, and held a market share of the mmo gaming community at that time. Today DAoC holds at most 5k players. And is 100% about PvP.

So what I'd support for SWTOR is to merge the DAoC PvP with the pve of SWTOR for a unstoppable monster of a MMO.

How is easy

First you need a 3rd faction, any would do.

From Malgis, Revinites , from this imp side or separatists from the republic side even huts.

Working them into the gg ale is as simple as adding a quest at level 50 that would let dark repubs change to the imps or 3rd faction and light imps change to the pubs.

Dark imps and light pubs could only go to the 3rd faction.

This would need to be a once every 30 days quest if not a one time thing per toon.

Now we have the 3rd faction fleshed out a bit we need to look at the realm vs realm pvp.

DAoC has

Rellic keeps , keeps and forts. You can take , NPC guards some upgradable. Siege weapons , walls to smash down doors to cave in. It's takes at least a 8 man to siege a undefended keep.

For SWTOR we could have space stations with planetary defence you would need to bored and siege before taking the planet. Might even be a way to get space PvP into game there. (Not my thing but could be cool)

Now 3 planets per realm would be needed + 2 core world haves for a realm relics ie holocrons.

Owning your realms relics + any of the other realms would give xp, spell power, and weapon dmg bonuses.

Owning the most planets and space stations would open a neutral raid planet, (darkness falls) that once open your realm would have until one of the other realms took back planets and space stations.

The realm holding the raid planet before your realm would still be there and would need killed out before things would be safe. ( just like darkness falls)

For me this would give us the best of both worlds or all 3, we would still have some of the best pve iv seen , wz PvP for every one that likes them, and true world PvP that requires you to fight for what you won't

AND most important, a way to balance out the realms, with a 3 realm system no one realm can push the other 2 around. As the 2 smaller realms can team even for short times to beat back the bigger realm.

With luck to many any ways BW will do somthing like this. As world PvP is in needs of help una bad way.

Ps did this post with phone, could be a lot of words jacked up.

Post your ideas for a world PvP system so we can at least have something to point at for BW .

Edited by Rallic

You should've posted this back when they were still making the game, at this point adding an entirely new faction would be practically impossible, not to mention by the time they put it up everyone would have 50s on either the republic or empire sides, and most people wouldn't want to reroll into the new faction.

You should've posted this back when they were still making the game, at this point adding an entirely new faction would be practically impossible, not to mention by the time they put it up everyone would have 50s on either the republic or empire sides, and most people wouldn't want to reroll into the new faction.

Hehe I and others did, but I do not think its to late. Yes its not a week patch but it is something they could do.

As for the 50s that why I said add a quest that can be takin at 50 to change factions. It's a giving this would not be simple as 123 but it can be done. And a lot of the code is there as your just reusing what's in place already.

totally support this.

The only way to get something like this is for bw to take note of it, and for tjem to take note we need 100s of players posting not just the 20ish that camp the PvP forums.

Its the only way they will look at it.

Hell I have turned Illum in as a bug report a few times as there us not way its working as intended

I too played DAOC for about 6 1/2 years. It is hands down the best implementation of PvP I have ever seen in an MMO. If SWTOR could emulate a fraction of what DAOC offered then I could honestly title SWOTOR king of all MMO's.

I would love to see a third faction introduced, but more importantly I would like to see battlegrounds or wide open PvP, with space stations (instead of castles), siege weaponry, and ZERO forced objective or timed arenas (you stay in the battleground with the same people for as long as you want). DAOC's BG's were great as you leveled up, but the best part was the larger frontier areas where the big boys played.

I seriously think swtor has the ability to move in this direction. If the mass population played DAOC they would understand how amazing the pvp in this game was (but yes...the pve seriously sucked). I have played a tremendous amount of MMO's (since the original release of EQ1) and I get bored after a time and move on. I never got bored of DAOC because of the pvp. WOW grabbed my attention for a few years but ultimately I did not like the direction the PVP headed. If swtor can improve the pvp past simply "queing up and joining an objective arena" then I think I will be playing for the next 5+ years. If they keep the pvp as it is now, then I will be bored within a year and will keep "Titan" on the horizon. They have the ability, the vision, and the creative staff. I truly hope they make pvp more than just these "arenas", and make it a meaningful, epic, experience where being a part of the "Empire" or "Republic" actually meant something.

I too played DAOC for about 6 1/2 years. It is hands down the best implementation of PvP I have ever seen in an MMO. If SWTOR could emulate a fraction of what DAOC offered then I could honestly title SWOTOR king of all MMO's.

I would love to see a third faction introduced, but more importantly I would like to see battlegrounds or wide open PvP, with space stations (instead of castles), siege weaponry, and ZERO forced objective or timed arenas (you stay in the battleground with the same people for as long as you want). DAOC's BG's were great as you leveled up, but the best part was the larger frontier areas where the big boys played.

I seriously think swtor has the ability to move in this direction. If the mass population played DAOC they would understand how amazing the pvp in this game was (but yes...the pve seriously sucked). I have played a tremendous amount of MMO's (since the original release of EQ1) and I get bored after a time and move on. I never got bored of DAOC because of the pvp. WOW grabbed my attention for a few years but ultimately I did not like the direction the PVP headed. If swtor can improve the pvp past simply "queing up and joining an objective arena" then I think I will be playing for the next 5+ years. If they keep the pvp as it is now, then I will be bored within a year and will keep "Titan" on the horizon. They have the ability, the vision, and the creative staff. I truly hope they make pvp more than just these "arenas", and make it a meaningful, epic, experience where being a part of the "Empire" or "Republic" actually meant something.

You know I use DAoC as a bace for PvP systems. I use there system in my other post as its the best there is.

As is we have a joke of for PvP. Wz are ok the first 1000 times but get old fast.

DAoC PvP never did .

I'm not asking pve players to PvP just that BW give the pvpers something as nothing would be better then what we have.

What gets me ic why even pver players would not won't a better PvP game as pvpers pve to , giving the game a bigger player bace.

Bringing in more subs , more pve for them and more PvP for me. More players to play with to.

I like the idea of Space Station battles and open world objectives on every planet, but other then that, I disagree.

A lot of the ideas you have are good and might be fun, but they would take away from the base concept of this game. This is Star Wars. There are always two major sides. Empire at War tried a third faction and it turned out feeling like a Starcraft wannabe.

Star Wars has amazing, epic battle moments without the need of dramatic third person fluff like in almost every other sci-fi movie, game, or other. I signed on to play Star Wars. Everything else is secondary.

And don't get me wrong. I'm a PvPer at heart. I'd rather pvp for 6 hours straight just queueing for warzones then do one quest. But I joined this game so I could be a part of the next Star Wars saga. Not another wannabe ripoff like galaxies that tried too hard to fit everyone into the original movies.

Edited by Hiro_Vitality

I like the idea of Space Station battles and open world objectives on every planet, but other then that, I disagree.

A lot of the ideas you have are good and might be fun, but they would take away from the base concept of this game. This is Star Wars. There are always two major sides. Empire at War tried a third faction and it turned out feeling like a Starcraft wannabe.

Star Wars has amazing, epic battle moments without the need of dramatic third person fluff like in almost every other sci-fi movie, game, or other. I signed on to play Star Wars. Everything else is secondary.

And don't get me wrong. I'm a PvPer at heart. I'd rather pvp for 6 hours straight just queueing for warzones then do one quest. But I joined this game so I could be a part of the next Star Wars saga. Not another wannabe ripoff like galaxies that tried too hard to fit everyone into the original movies.

I'm with you on the star wars ip , but how do you balance imps vs pubs .

The easy way is a 3rd faction. It's just a idea ,one I do not think BW will even look at short term.

I'd just like to know they have plans like this even sort of for PvP. Not just more of the same wz PvP as I'm sick of them.

The pve in this game is by far the best iv played. but its not all my main gaming focus.

yep the ideas are nice. and yes daoc prolly had one of the best open world pvp scenarios in the past.

the reason why you will be disappointed are obvious though:

- have you ever been to ilum on a populated server? the graphic engine of this game is that bad that it simply wont ever allow decent open world pvp. it cannot handle large ammounts of players at the same time. so unless they can do some big magic tricks to the engine, this simply wont ever happen. at the current point it seems kinda impossible for the servers to handle fights bigger then like 10v10. meaning even IF they ever added a nice pvp environment, it wont be enjoyable due to performance issues.

- reading the forums for weeks now im getting more and more the impression that the swtor customers simply arent up for serious pvp. reading reactions about rated pvp / arena styles etc you realize that the community prefers other stuff where it can hide behind bad player skills and whine out pointless op/nerf theories which wont ever be able to be proven.

it really really make me sad. ive been a star wars fanboi since i was very young. everytime a new sw game was about to be released i felt like a happy little kid again. my hopes were huge every single time. i love many aspects of this game. still i fear that an incoming gamequit isnt too far, simply because the game and the communty doesnt seem to be able to give me what i want most in my loved sw environment: meaningfull and skillfull PvP.

Nice idea, but yeah .. too late.

A third faction WOULD be awesome but it may also lead to not merely Imperials rolling a new toon on it but also current Republic players so may end up just being Imperials v. the new faction and the Republic being completely left behind, despite them obviously being integral to the game.

The fact is, BW did a bad, bad job of making the pubs appeal in the first place.

Nice idea, but yeah .. too late.

A third faction WOULD be awesome but it may also lead to not merely Imperials rolling a new toon on it but also current Republic players so may end up just being Imperials v. the new faction and the Republic being completely left behind, despite them obviously being integral to the game.

The fact is, BW did a bad, bad job of making the pubs appeal in the first place.

Very true, but even if the 3 rd faction turned out to be the big bad monster , imps and pug could temp team to take them down when needed.

But every one is right BW will not do this and PvP will be a joke a year from now. That should not stop us from trying as I'd like to see this game be more then just a pve game.

As for server loads and the game handling it. Ya its bad, but in Illum 50pubs and over 75imps I can run fine other then the first jump from load lag.

I run gfx at low no shadows and tags off. Seams to work good that way for bigger fights

I'm just sick of Illum and its got to the point in random open world I can run around looking and not see any one for hours on even the low level planets.

And my server is one of the higher pops left , Valker highway .

It would be a great idea, all of them, but the 3rd faction i believe would be too late as an earlier poster said, "the imps would reroll and then the pop would be low all around".

But the whole space station battles would be perfect. Hell even in the movies there were battles on Hoth and Kashyyk and other planets. Take out the shields and the base and own the planet, maybe once you have done that then that world is open for PvE and have some epic dungeons in them...IDK but something has to be done....

also, why cant we have spaceship battles with the other side? I want to take my spaceship and battle against other guilds and faction....

EDIT for email notification

Edited by Greycen

A 3rd and fourth faction is a good idea. Some need to be able to team up on another. The seperatists and an Empire faction vs another empire faction?

I always thought certain classes, like BH and Smuggler should be able to swing both ways if it helps get matches going.

A third faction is kind of a good idea in that it acts as an automatic balancing mechanism, something essential in all mmo's that want to offer decent open world pvp.

However, the cost of developing a third faction is extremely high. In terms of new planets, sure, they don't need much, just two new start worlds and a new core world, but after that they still need to expand each and every other planet to give you questing areas. If Bioware decide to take PvP seriously then this may be a very good thing, I'd love to see a complete overhaul that encouraged lots of cross-over zones between factions for more pvp.

But, its expensive and not a guarunteed money spinner and there is a much cheaper (tho, not as appealing) solution: NPCs.

NPC's are the more traditional method of balancing out numbers. When one side becomes outnumbered, they can retreat to a keep, outpost, fort or whatever where they gain the help of the NPCs and thus balance things out a bit. It sucks, and real pvpers dont want NPCs in pvp zones, but its a much cheaper solution than building an entire third faction.

Whatever mechanism BW choose for balancing factions, they still need two more important things: improved engine so that the average PC can handle 100v100 battles minimum, and then a reason to keep pvping.

Getting the engine right is difficult technically but can be done. Getting the motivation to continue pvping for years is difficult. If you make the reward gear based (todays standard) then you'll create a gear gap and ruin pvp in the long term. If you make it fluff based, not enough people will care. I think personally you need some way to instill realm-pride and the only way I can think to do this is to allow guilds to claim bases/forts/space stations or to allow individuals to build their own bases and upgrade them. I want to build a fort, make it stronger, invite my mates to help upgrade it, defend it against attackers, keep building it etc. PvP requires sandbox tools for longevity.

I, too, was trying to get traction for a third faction and real RvR, and having an impact on the galaxy with our efforts. I support your ideas.

To be realistic though, a third faction could only be expansion material, it will take a long time to develop.

Most if not all of this would need to be a xpac, no getting around it.

They need something , we all know they do.

Cost of the xpac vs the cost of subs we all see dropping . It's worth this xpec to me any ways.

In the end we need something like this , its up to BW to listen and us to speak up.

Pve and PvP as most do both at least to some degree.

Keep it up and this alive , they just might see it.

Most if not all of this would need to be a xpac, no getting around it.

They need something , we all know they do.

Cost of the xpac vs the cost of subs we all see dropping . It's worth this xpec to me any ways.

In the end we need something like this , its up to BW to listen and us to speak up.

Pve and PvP as most do both at least to some degree.

Keep it up and this alive , they just might see it.

My guess - around July 20th they announce plans for an expansion pack, to try to bring everyone back to the fold, and keep the 6 month subs.

We can only hope we make our voices loud enough to be heard over all the whining, and that a third faction and meaning to the planets we're supposedly fighting for somehow find their way into the expansion.

My guess - around July 20th they announce plans for an expansion pack, to try to bring everyone back to the fold, and keep the 6 month subs.

We can only hope we make our voices loud enough to be heard over all the whining, and that a third faction and meaning to the planets we're supposedly fighting for somehow find their way into the expansion.

July would be good , hell knowing they where working on something even remotely like tgis would be.

Bring back subs , I think it might. With a solid.PvP system I think my guild would come back.