Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The "I hate TS (especially in OPs)" Thread

Napalm_AKI
02.23.2012 , 04:03 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by deusBAAL View Post
If you feel the same, please post here.

I do hate voice chat in games, including and especially in Operations/raids, and this is why:

- I dont want to hear people chitchatting while I play the game, neither wants my girl-friend who is doing stuff on her laptop (that wont run SWTOR! No clue why not, but I gave up on it) in the same room with me. We watched a few OP boss fight vids with people doing TS in the background and gosh! it is so annoying.

- I should not have to use any kind of 3rd party software to play the game (fake argument actually, if BW adds an ingame voicechat I am gonna be seriously p...ed off and still not gonna use it)

- I definetly should not have to buy the hardware for TS (micro and headphones)

- I raided a lot in the past without any voicechat. 3 years of Everquest and 2 years of Vanguard endgame raids with an asian-pacific guild, we rocked and voice chat was never needed.

- If you dont have the 5 mins before a fight to explain fight mechanics and assign jobs, then you wont do any better by rushing in and shouting at people

- If you want to shout at people for underperforming, use CAPS. My old guildleader was big at throwing fits after fails, with a rather motivation effect and better guild performance on the re-runs. 8-) If someone shouted at me via voicechat, Id simply leave.

- to all that add a personal issue: I am ex-military and used to radio discipline and getting very irritated if people dont live up to that standard
Well most of your points start with a very important word "I", and the only thing that I agree on within your post is that the guild requirements should be stated before joining. As for the rest of your points, you can take your "I" and stick it where the shine don't shine, cause my "I" thinks that voice chat is necessary and makes the whole experience more fun.

kitharen
02.23.2012 , 04:04 AM | #22
Voice chat is just much more efficient than typed chat. But I agree that VC at times can be quite annoying. Like hearing people talk about the Champions League in the midst of some intense raiding.
"So uncivilized..."

Adderdin
02.23.2012 , 04:04 AM | #23
If you feel the same, please post here.

I do hate voice chat in games, including and especially in Operations/raids, and this is why:

- I dont want to hear people chitchatting while I play the game, neither wants my girl-friend who is doing stuff on her laptop (that wont run SWTOR! No clue why not, but I gave up on it) in the same room with me. We watched a few OP boss fight vids with people doing TS in the background and gosh! it is so annoying.

- I should not have to use any kind of 3rd party software to play the game (fake argument actually, if BW adds an ingame voicechat I am gonna be seriously p...ed off and still not gonna use it)

- I definetly should not have to buy the hardware for TS (micro and headphones)

- I raided a lot in the past without any voicechat. 3 years of Everquest and 2 years of Vanguard endgame raids with an asian-pacific guild, we rocked and voice chat was never needed.

- If you dont have the 5 mins before a fight to explain fight mechanics and assign jobs, then you wont do any better by rushing in and shouting at people

- If you want to shout at people for underperforming, use CAPS. My old guildleader was big at throwing fits after fails, with a rather motivation effect and better guild performance on the re-runs. 8-) If someone shouted at me via voicechat, Id simply leave.

- to all that add a personal issue: I am ex-military and used to radio discipline and getting very irritated if people dont live up to that standard

And for Christ sake! If someone joins your guild saying that he doesnt do voicechat then dont wait 2 weeks before you tell him that TS is mandatory for guild OPs!

On a side note: I am waiting impatiently for the custom UI and I hope that we will get macros in game soon, too.
Hotkeys that allow chat message like "Attacking %target, assist me now" and "starting CC on %target now" are really needed (at least by me)
This is very interesting, how about you simply join a guild that does not require TS or any kind of voice communication during Ops.

Remember that when you are writting an aplication, you could ask the guild about requirements like TS. It is probably written on their web site in the Guild Rules or simillary named thread, spare a minute or two on familiarising yourself with the guild you are willing to join.

If you can't find one, you can always start your own. Also remember that the Ops leader shouldn't have to explain the fight to you, you could spend those 4 minutes before the Ops and read strategies or watch a video on youtube.
demotivators.despair.com/customerdisservicedemotivator.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vordy
Well great, then they dont have to fix this because you are leaving anyways....

Kirameki
02.23.2012 , 04:07 AM | #24
I love TS in GUILD.

When running a pug, ow god no. I remember running a siege raid where all needed to be on TS (all as in most of the faction) and the siegeleader literally SCREAMED all over it in ENGRISH going all RAGE RAGE KILL KILL. (engrish yes, engrish)

So I only log TS when I know I won't be greeted by someone who tries to hit over 9000 dB with his voice.
"Why you stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf-herder!"
Referral linkfor you to get goodies and me my army of droids.
TwitterTumblr

schnopsnosn
02.23.2012 , 04:07 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by kitharen View Post
Voice chat is just much more efficient than typed chat. But I agree that VC at times can be quite annoying. Like hearing people talk about the Champions League in the midst of some intense raiding.
Then kick them out of the channel.
Unless you faceroll the raid the only thing that matters is the raid.

Jordgubben
02.23.2012 , 04:10 AM | #26
trolls
You might want to read up on the meaning of the word "troll". Hint, a troll is not someone who is not of the same opinon as you.

Epochmox
02.23.2012 , 04:15 AM | #27
Im glad you have decided that speech is a waste of time.
Maybe we can all start communicating in hand signals instead, just for you.

I have a specific hand signal im thinking of right now.

DieAlteHexe
02.23.2012 , 04:20 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Ironspeed View Post
Make voice chat mandatory and a part of the game so people are forced to talk to each other, it's supposed to be social.

I actually miss raiding 40 man with everyone on Ventrilo or Mumble (lets face it TS is for noobz), we had so much fun being social and doing raidleading with a indian accent!
And how do you account for:

1. Those for whom English is not a first language.

2. Those who are deaf.

3. Those whose gaming takes place in a shared space where others may not care to hear the ongoing noise (gamer uses headphones)

I'm pretty much deaf. I have played MMOs since UO and I do just fine without TS/Vent etc.

Mandatory is nonsense. Having TS/Vent doesn't necessarily promote "social". I can be perfectly "social" without it and have been for over a decade.

ETA: It should absolutely be an option. But mandatory? No way.

Shadinaxx
02.23.2012 , 04:20 AM | #29
Think whatever you want.
MMORPG players did 90+ man raids way before TS even was available. (raid groups in EQ were 12 groups of 6 chars = 72, and some guilds brought extra groups)
My guild on EQ, Saviours on Bertoxx, did those raids with half of that manpower and without voicechat and kept up with progression just fine.

If have done OPs in SWTOR already, without voicechat. Worked just fine, too.
biggest key with these games you speak of (aside from the obvious that this is swtor, not EQ, FFXI, wow or any other), is macroed comands and communication. The reversed arguement that those of us that do use voice communication can argue: we shouldnt have to macro our actions to communicate.

There are people that do communicate only pertenent info in raids (case in point would be SOA HM, when there are multiple ball lightnings and you have 3-4 people running to their ball, but two people are opposing sides and have to communicate which direction to go, to avoid dying to double splash dmg). Or a healer that is stunned or knocked, or delayed on casting a needed heal and communicates to the tank to use a cooldown.

Point is, not all the videos that you have watched are a bunch of people yokeling it up and cracking "your mom" jokes in the middle of raid
"If it bleeds, we've killed it"
Static

Havocx
02.23.2012 , 04:26 AM | #30
Raiding is a guild effort
Anyone who thinks they just have to worry about themselves is 1) selfish and 2) not a good guild member. Certain classes require a lot more concentration than others and it helps them greatly when a third party can call out things they need to be aware of. And then there's people who just have tunnel vision. Every guild has them. The rest of us have to pick up their slack, and that's usually done through vent.

Reading/typing is not something you want to do in combat
Do you look at your chatbox every single moment you are playing? No, you don't. Anything written can be overlooked, especially during a hectic boss encounter. It's a lot harder to "miss" something being said on vent.

Certain encounters have mechanics that target individual players but affect the whole raid. These things need to be called out by the individual players obviously. So what do you do? Start typing and hope the other 7/15 people are looking at their chatbox? The fact that you're typing means your character is standing there, doing nothing. Bad.

Also don't bring up EQ raids. They were nowhere near as complex as raids today. It was 99% tank and spank, CH chain macros, and just boring crap.

The arguments about chitchat and w/e are just silly. That's not an issue with vent, it's an issue with your guild. The only time my guild requires vent is during raids, and there are no shenanigans during raids (unless it's a shenanigans raid to begin with).