Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The "I hate TS (especially in OPs)" Thread

deusBAAL
02.23.2012 , 03:29 AM | #1
If you feel the same, please post here.

I do hate voice chat in games, including and especially in Operations/raids, and this is why:

- I dont want to hear people chitchatting while I play the game, neither wants my girl-friend who is doing stuff on her laptop (that wont run SWTOR! No clue why not, but I gave up on it) in the same room with me. We watched a few OP boss fight vids with people doing TS in the background and gosh! it is so annoying.

- I should not have to use any kind of 3rd party software to play the game (fake argument actually, if BW adds an ingame voicechat I am gonna be seriously p...ed off and still not gonna use it)

- I definetly should not have to buy the hardware for TS (micro and headphones)

- I raided a lot in the past without any voicechat. 3 years of Everquest and 2 years of Vanguard endgame raids with an asian-pacific guild, we rocked and voice chat was never needed.

- If you dont have the 5 mins before a fight to explain fight mechanics and assign jobs, then you wont do any better by rushing in and shouting at people

- If you want to shout at people for underperforming, use CAPS. My old guildleader was big at throwing fits after fails, with a rather motivation effect and better guild performance on the re-runs. 8-) If someone shouted at me via voicechat, Id simply leave.

- to all that add a personal issue: I am ex-military and used to radio discipline and getting very irritated if people dont live up to that standard

And for Christ sake! If someone joins your guild saying that he doesnt do voicechat then dont wait 2 weeks before you tell him that TS is mandatory for guild OPs!

On a side note: I am waiting impatiently for the custom UI and I hope that we will get macros in game soon, too.
Hotkeys that allow chat message like "Attacking %target, assist me now" and "starting CC on %target now" are really needed (at least by me)
Funny how PVP folks strive to become the best PK, while PVE folks know that PKs are just really really bad players.

Noirmorris
02.23.2012 , 03:30 AM | #2
I think that single players should play single player game and stop bothering who is trying to make a game "massive multiplayer".

lineschmidt
02.23.2012 , 03:31 AM | #3
/signed x 1000

I cannot begin to express how much i hate voice chat in mmos

Helig
02.23.2012 , 03:31 AM | #4
An easy solution is mute everything but the raid-leader, and, perhaps, officers responsible for coordination.

Voice communication is very efficient. Without it, I'm feeling mute and deaf - cba to look at the chat, let alone write, lest I compromise my situational awareness.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

evoleye
02.23.2012 , 03:33 AM | #5
I'm with you on this. I've played for years w/o voice and only use it now when I pvp because well its much easier to call out targets. For pve? no voice is not needed and I also refuse to use it. Nothing better than a 15 yo eating potato chips right into your ear.

Jordgubben
02.23.2012 , 03:35 AM | #6
Did you by mistake post this here instead of at your guilds forums?

Also, this is not the military, its a computer game, learn to adapt.

livnthedream
02.23.2012 , 03:35 AM | #7
its a good thing bioware is already catering to your kind of player by giving you normal modes.

deusBAAL
02.23.2012 , 03:37 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Noirmorris View Post
I think that single players should play single player game and stop bothering who is trying to make a game "massive multiplayer".
Think whatever you want.
MMORPG players did 90+ man raids way before TS even was available. (raid groups in EQ were 12 groups of 6 chars = 72, and some guilds brought extra groups)
My guild on EQ, Saviours on Bertoxx, did those raids with half of that manpower and without voicechat and kept up with progression just fine.

If have done OPs in SWTOR already, without voicechat. Worked just fine, too.
Funny how PVP folks strive to become the best PK, while PVE folks know that PKs are just really really bad players.

Noirmorris
02.23.2012 , 03:40 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by deusBAAL View Post
Think whatever you want.
MMORPG players did 90+ man raids way before TS even was available. (raid groups in EQ were 12 groups of 6 chars = 72 and some guilds brought extra groups)
My guild on EQ, Saviours on Bertoxx, did those raids with half of that manpower and without voicechat and kept up with progression just fine.

If have done OPs in SWTOR already, without vociechat. Worked just fine, too.
Once ppl went to work with horses, so let's stop evolution.
In Wow Vanilla there wasn't so much content so let's stop asking more content here, even if it was like 10 years ago.
And so on.
I think whatever I want, of course. And for me, someone who doesn't want a "real" contact like voice with other players it's just a single player gamer.

Akirator
02.23.2012 , 03:40 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jordgubben View Post
Did you by mistake post this here instead of at your guilds forums?

Also, this is not the military, its a computer game, learn to adapt.
While I agree expecting military level discipline from anything related to the internet is unrealistic, expecting people to be quiet during raids if they dont have anything extremely important to say isnt.

It's kinda sad but I've lost count of how many "raiders" my guilds have had to kick from vent for leaving their mics open and blasting Katy Perry, Madonna, etc etc at the raid.
Computer specs

If somebody was standing on a street corner screaming "This town sucks, I'm moving!" you'd think he was crazy, right? I quit threads are the same thing.