Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ideas for improving light/dark alignment and overall gameplay

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Ideas for improving light/dark alignment and overall gameplay

AdamGe
02.22.2012 , 02:13 PM | #1
Hi all. I had some thoughts I wanted to get some community feedback on. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed SWTOR thus far, and although I have 0 prior mmo experience, I wanted to throw a few ideas out there for thought. I’m not sure what the dev’s have in mind or how complex any of my suggestions might be to actually incorporate, but I’m really looking forward to whatever they have planned for added content and hope that feedback from the community is taken seriously. Anyway, hope you guys like it:

For those with a short attention span, a TLDR: Basically I have two ideas both revolving around your light or darkside alignment. I propose that there should be first, more consequential choices for your actions… sort of ‘life events’ if you will for your character. Secondly, the complexity of 5 different ranks for both light and darkside is (at this point) pretty useless. I’d like to see the ability to swap core casting abilities with your mirror class based on different light or dark ranks, i.e. dark II earns you the ability to swap certain casts with your rep/imp counterparts.

To elaborate a bit, I’d like to see the ability to truly “fall” to the darkside. As it exists now, it seems that people pretty much go one way or the other… there is no real back and forth… no real moral alignment with your character. I think most people just hit the same light or dark side choice (regardless of how they actually feel) just to hit the respective rank 5 sooner. However, there are plenty of situations in the game where I feel someone really deserves to die, but there are really no consequences for killing him. Your story more or less follows the same path regardless, and your light/dark alignment only changes by the same few and relatively insignificant amount of points that you would gain had you let him live. As a result, I would really like to see several pivotal points (perhaps 3-5) in each characters story where by you are presented with a ‘life’ choice worth say 10-15x the normal light or dark alignment points (or perhaps instantly declare you Light II or dark III, etc.) and the consequences should change the main story path completely. This way it would enable you to fall to one side or the other and recover (or not) by the end of your story. Either way, it adds replay-ability by customizing your story, adds even more uniqueness to every individual character, and allows for a more genuine experience should you elect to turn good/evil.

Now to go with that, let’s use the sage consular class as an example. The current light/dark alignment scale is 5 ranks for each. As of now (not sure IF the dev’s even have something in mind for this in the future) I see no real use for anything above rank I and below rank V, other than perhaps the ability to use certain color crystals (which is fine, I kind of like the traditional blue/green vs. red restrictions). Essentially, ranks II, III, and IV on both sides are pretty useless (other than some darkside corruption appearance to your character). I’d like to see a kind of swappable core abilities with your mirror class. I.e. if you are a sage, and you decide to go darkside, your abilities should reflect that. I proposed that at different alignment ranks, you should get to swap some of your core abilities with your mirror class, the inquisitor sorc. For instance, TK throw would be able to be swapped with force lightning @ say dark II. Otherwise, the whole experience of a dark Jedi or a ‘Moral Sith’ shall we say (not sure how many of these actually exist, but IK there are PLENTY of dark Jedi) just feels a bit lacking. I mean let’s face it, you go darkside, you want to choke and lightning people… no? Again, this would add to character uniqueness/customization/immersion as well as perhaps offer some incentive to offset the faction imbalance?

So, lets hear it! What do you guys think?

BloodySunBoy
02.22.2012 , 02:54 PM | #2
I only read your tdlr but i like the idea of light/dark affecting you a lot more than just with your relics, a jedi who is dark III getting lightning replace their pebble storm sound like a good idea lore and gameplay wise.

Icebaron
02.22.2012 , 03:01 PM | #3
I have a better idea, scrap it entirely.

Some of them don't even make sense. For example, on corusant a girl asks you to steal info on some senator that wants to align with the Empire so they can expose what he is up to, so you steal the data and get some speech about how in a democracy everyone has a right to voice their opinions. Fine and dandy, but he is HIDING something you are going to expose, and you get dark side points for that?

And you get dark side points Empire side for exposing an assistant who is trying to sabotage her masters experiments and discredit him.

And don't even get me started on alignment required gear. Even when they add neutral gear you still don't get to pick what you want, otherwise you might end up going 75% dark which wont leave you neutral, just dark 3 or something.

gtmach
02.22.2012 , 03:02 PM | #4
I agree on the main quest diverting off in a different direction based off your choice. But I don't think changing the force powers would work out.

With the Sith classes essentially being the mirrors of the Jedi classes, having powers adjust to your alignment would be redundant.

Plus how would that work with non-force users?

My idea would be like what they did for the Infamous games. (PS3 owners might know these games)

Essentially when you commit to being dark, more dark side oriented quests open up while light side quests are closed off, and vice versa. So we'd basically need some quests out there that are purely meant for either light or dark, not both.

AdamGe
02.23.2012 , 09:32 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by BloodySunBoy View Post
I only read your tdlr but i like the idea of light/dark affecting you a lot more than just with your relics, a jedi who is dark III getting lightning replace their pebble storm sound like a good idea lore and gameplay wise.
Yes, lore & gameplay wise is what I'm going for. Gives you a more authentic experience. Srsly, who wants to cast rocks if your a dark Jedi?

Quote: Originally Posted by Icebaron View Post
I have a better idea, scrap it entirely.

Some of them don't even make sense. For example, on corusant a girl asks you to steal info on some senator that wants to align with the Empire so they can expose what he is up to, so you steal the data and get some speech about how in a democracy everyone has a right to voice their opinions. Fine and dandy, but he is HIDING something you are going to expose, and you get dark side points for that?

And you get dark side points Empire side for exposing an assistant who is trying to sabotage her masters experiments and discredit him.
Yeah I'm familiar with both the quests you're talking about, lol. Some of the choices ARE rather silly. I'd just like to see the ability to have a real swing in your alignment... a true fall to the darkside for a bit where you get to possess that power and experience that diverted story and later recover to be a jedi (if you want to)... sort of like Revan!

Quote: Originally Posted by gtmach View Post
I agree on the main quest diverting off in a different direction based off your choice. But I don't think changing the force powers would work out.

With the Sith classes essentially being the mirrors of the Jedi classes, having powers adjust to your alignment would be redundant.

Plus how would that work with non-force users?

My idea would be like what they did for the Infamous games. (PS3 owners might know these games)

Essentially when you commit to being dark, more dark side oriented quests open up while light side quests are closed off, and vice versa. So we'd basically need some quests out there that are purely meant for either light or dark, not both.
So I didn't really think about non-force users; but I think it doesn't really matter. I'm not as familiar with the other classes, but I don't see why a Commando/Mercenary couldn't do the same. As long as they are mirror abilities, the damage done won't change at all... It would merely be user preference/option based on earning a certain light/dark alignment and what abilities they like better.

AdamGe
02.23.2012 , 02:09 PM | #6
Really... 96 views and less than 5% comment? No one has any thoughts on this?

Azzras
02.23.2012 , 02:12 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by AdamGe View Post
For those with a short attention span, a TLDR: Basically I have two ideas both revolving around your light or darkside alignment. I propose that there should be first, more consequential choices for your actions… sort of ‘life events’ if you will for your character. Secondly, the complexity of 5 different ranks for both light and darkside is (at this point) pretty useless. I’d like to see the ability to swap core casting abilities with your mirror class based on different light or dark ranks, i.e. dark II earns you the ability to swap certain casts with your rep/imp counterparts.
I like this idea.
[ █ █ █ █ █] ( ) Ξ█████████████ The Shadowlands █████████████)

AdamGe
02.23.2012 , 03:58 PM | #8
Cmon guys... itchin to get more feedback here.

jndca
02.23.2012 , 04:06 PM | #9
I don't think it's the issue with what they did wrong with dark side/light side it's with what they didn't do. They could have done so much more with the story and have had SO much more gear to buy. As it is, the dark side/light side guys on the fleets have VERY little for sale and the gear that is light/dark just .. doesn't look as cool imho. They just need to get a more EPIC feel to being a sith lord or a jedi master. Again, my opinion.

AdamGe
02.23.2012 , 04:18 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by jndca View Post
I don't think it's the issue with what they did wrong with dark side/light side it's with what they didn't do. They could have done so much more with the story and have had SO much more gear to buy. As it is, the dark side/light side guys on the fleets have VERY little for sale and the gear that is light/dark just .. doesn't look as cool imho. They just need to get a more EPIC feel to being a sith lord or a jedi master. Again, my opinion.
I certainly don't disagree with that, and the gear does need tons of improvement. But also, I think my ideas above would certainly help with the immersion and the epic feel of being sith/jedi (or any other class for that matter) as well. Your choices would truly affect your story in major ways and your alignment could grant you customization of certain swappable powers.