Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mara Jade

priest
02.22.2012 , 02:07 PM | #1
Killing her....who really thought that was a good idea?
€█╬╬█]∎⌉()[█][\▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀╬Ž┌ị∈-⋂Dị ∃×ị└∈▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Lurkz
02.22.2012 , 02:31 PM | #2
Someone stupid. I haven't read of the books after that series because there's no Mara.

priest
02.22.2012 , 02:34 PM | #3
I think Karen Travis was jealous.

Lurkz
02.22.2012 , 02:36 PM | #4
LOL Always a possibility. Hopefully Tim Zahn has more SW books he plans to write so we can still have more (well written) Mara Jade.

priest
02.22.2012 , 02:41 PM | #5
Here was her response in an interview she did:

EUC: How hard was it to write Mara’s death, and are fans lashing out at you for it like they did when R.A. Salvatore wrote Chewbacca’s death and Troy Denning wrote Anakin Solo’s death?

KT: I’ve had no really adverse reactions to Mara’s death. I think the small lunatic fringe of fandom learned their lesson way back that threatening and abusing writers just alienates other fans, and it certainly doesn’t change a word of what writers do. I’ve had one letter from someone telling me I ruined their life by killing Mara, but it wasn’t abusive, just very sad. Every other piece of mail I’ve had from Mara fans has been wonderful – okay, they’re sad to see her go, some very upset indeed, but they’re mature enough to accept it, and they’ve all said that the death was handled properly.

I don’t just bump off characters for the hell of it. It’s an integral part of the novel; it has to be, or it shouldn’t be in a book. It has to be a logical progression of the story. If I was ever asked to whack a character for the sake of sensationalizing a book, I’d hand back my advance and walk away, because that’s just bad storytelling, and it creates problems for the rest of the book, because it’ll feel bolted on for no good reason. Writing a character’s death is very hard if you immerse as I do, because you have to feel what the characters feel to make a decent job of it, and it’s not fun. It’s harrowing to put yourself in Ben’s mind, or Luke’s, and imagine what it is to lose your mother or your wife like that, with so much left unsaid. And it carried on into Revelation – it’s painful writing Ben and Luke at that phase of their grieving process, where the funeral’s over, and everyone else is getting on with their lives, but yours is changed irrevocably forever and the pieces are missing every time you try to pick them up.

Readers can see from the way I write that I take character deaths seriously, and so they don’t react badly. For a writer, it’s about maintaining respect for role that the books play in readers’ lives. And beloved characters have to face death, or there’s no drama, no real risk, and no high stakes to play for in the story. Oddly, many people seem okay with “minor” characters dying, as if their lives have no meaning, but I hate that. Every life – even a fictional life – has to count, or else we start thinking of some real people’s lives as having less value than others, which is a terrible attitude to slip into.

I highlighted the portion of importance...the rest is just self-important aggrandizement.

Lurkz
02.22.2012 , 02:46 PM | #6
So basically... "I didn't care about Mara or that she was popular so it didn't bother me a bit that I had to kill her off and the fans that were upset are just lunatics." I always wanted to be part of the lunatic fringe...

It was kind of a stupid death too, imo. Made Mara out to be waaaay stupider than we all know she was.

ErikModi
02.22.2012 , 02:47 PM | #7
Karen Traviss is just a bad writer, and a less-than-stellar person, judging by some of the stuff she's had to say about her critics.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

priest
02.22.2012 , 02:50 PM | #8
I completely agree. It was a stupid death. Reading this interview just made me mad all over again. Seriously Karen, YOU didn't create the character, and you just decided to off her...without any real imput from Timothy Zahn. I hated it when Chewbacca was killed off. I didn't understand why they killed Anakin (that was a dolt move too,) and Mara?

Makes me want to burn all my EU books.

Lurkz
02.22.2012 , 02:55 PM | #9
I actually got to talk to RA Salvatore during a book signing once about Chewie's death. He said he tried to get them to not make him do it but Lucas Arts insisted. Anakin at least got a -good- death, I was just more upset that right when he was becoming a ****** he died. But at least it was in a ****** way.

As for Mara, so many of the EU writers butchered her character whenever they tried to incorporate her. It got better later, NJO and such but then we hit Legacy and it went downhill again.

Spoiler

Edit: sigh.. profanity filters...

priest
02.22.2012 , 03:01 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Lurkz View Post
I actually got to talk to RA Salvatore during a book signing once about Chewie's death. He said he tried to get them to not make him do it but Lucas Arts insisted. Anakin at least got a -good- death, I was just more upset that right when he was becoming a ****** he died. But at least it was in a ****** way.

As for Mara, so many of the EU writers butchered her character whenever they tried to incorporate her. It got better later, NJO and such but then we hit Legacy and it went downhill again.

Spoiler

Edit: sigh.. profanity filters...
I didn't know Lucas was pushing to kill Chewie. RA gets a pass for that then, especially since his death was fantastic. It, of course, with the existential crap that the EU has become was rendered null when Anakin died a few books later. And then...Jacen a sith lord?

What they should do is just put a sign in front of Bantam Del Rey that says, "We did it. We killed the greatest IP in modern times. Hell, George Lucas couldn't even do that with EP1...but we sure did!!!"