Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Assassin Vs the Sorcerer

Dembian
02.22.2012 , 01:33 PM | #1
I recently got this game about a week ago and i have played a juggernaught/operative but i find them not to be as fun as i thought.

i played a sorcerer in beta and they were pretty fun with the excepion of everyone expecting to me to heal

So im curious to people who have leveled both classes which would you say solo's better i find myself soloing an awful lot unless its the ocasional 4+ heroic, even some 2+ can be quite challenging

So im curious of peoples experiences and thoughts on which they found to be the better soloer and why?

Pretty_Flacko
02.22.2012 , 01:35 PM | #2
i enjoy my assassin. Knowing how to use stealth mode to your advantage helps a lot in soloing missions as well as combat. Not to mention I love looking at my double bladed light saber. Darth maul is a boss and so am I

Isilme_Turuphant
02.22.2012 , 01:40 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Dembian View Post
I recently got this game about a week ago and i have played a juggernaught/operative but i find them not to be as fun as i thought.

i played a sorcerer in beta and they were pretty fun with the excepion of everyone expecting to me to heal

So im curious to people who have leveled both classes which would you say solo's better i find myself soloing an awful lot unless its the ocasional 4+ heroic, even some 2+ can be quite challenging

So im curious of peoples experiences and thoughts on which they found to be the better soloer and why?
I haven't played anything but Assassin yet myself, but comparing notes with some friends who have played other classes, like Bounty Hunter or Imperial Agent, a Darkness-spec Assassin seems to be pretty good. You have the survivability of a tank (And to be honest, companions just don't tank well in the later stages of the game), plus you get sneaky sneak abilities (Including Force Cloak, which can get you out of sticky situations if you get in over your head). Assassin hurts a bit for a decent healer until you get Talos, but Andronikos is a perfectly good DPS companion and you get him early on. When compared to my Bounty Hunter friend who's playing a Merc, I've found I can breeze through most things, the stealth abilities, CCs and sneak attacks allowing me a lot of control over the battles... including whether I even fight them or not. And then once I DO fight, I can mix it up without fear, with enough AoE taunts and damage to keep my Companion from eating floor.

Kulzin
02.22.2012 , 02:30 PM | #4
I liked my darkness assassin more.

Playing a Sorcerer almost felt like cheating. As a ranged class, it seems you're already at an advantage. Your bag of tricks is just huge. Heals and shields combined with all the control of the baseline inquisitor felt a little nuts. So much so that it was kind of dull.

It's not so much that Darkness Assassin was more challenging, though compared to a Sorcerer I will admit a little bit of a difference, it's more that it was just more fun for me. I got to hop around mobs slashing my my double bladed saber and my survivability is awesome. The stealth is handy too, though I like that it's really just a convenience for me instead of a strict combat requirement.

You really shouldn't have a problem soloing with either AC, it's just seemed like Sorcerer lacked a little finesse for me. Plus, if I have a lightsaber, it might as well be good for something other than deflection, but that's just a personal opinion.

jitsuo
02.22.2012 , 03:04 PM | #5
Madness Sorcerer makes everything cake. Heroic 2+ missions are easily solo-able and some 4+ missions can be done as well. You have a huge array of stuns/slows/CC's at your disposal and it's very easy to do well in PvP and PvE. I use a mainly PvP spec but it can easily be used in PvE due to the high damage that is sustained while using it.

I leveled a Jugger and it was fun, I had some good survivability. I made the switch to Sorc and I'm loving every second of it.
Quote: Originally Posted by Gonewild View Post
PVP was overpowered, and under performed. It will therefore be removed from the game until which time it can be implemented to a level of satisfaction deserved by SWTOR customers!

bpcatt
02.22.2012 , 03:29 PM | #6
I have both... it's hard to say. Overall, the sorcerer struck me as easier overall because you have a pretty large toolset fairly early. The assassin was nice because you can always vanish if you screw up or bite off more than you can chew. If you want an easier route, I think sorcerer is the choice. Assassin is a little harder, but I found the challenge a good thing... even though I have both and a 50 juggernaut, the Assassin is my "main" as it were.

Swissbob
02.22.2012 , 09:03 PM | #7
I have both too. Overall, I like the assassin more. Besides all the reasons stated before, (which I agree with) i just feel like there are soooo many Sorc's. I feel original and wanted playing an assassin, which I think is the least common tank and the least common inquisitor. At first I loved the sorc, but once i got over the "Ooh shiny long range lightning" phase, i realized how bad-*** a double bladed saber/stealth/ tank class was.
______________________Guild Master____________________
<The Nightmare Legacy><The Horizon Legacy>
_________________The Shadowlands

Kantoro
02.22.2012 , 11:19 PM | #8
Sorc = easiest thing to level ever. Like a BM hunter.

Assassin = most fun class to level.

Out of all the classes I have played (all of them to at least 30) I have a 50 Sorc that is hands down my favorite, a 45 Powertech (BH) which I gave up when they forced me to take Skadge, whom I despise, a 35 'Sin that I am having a blast playing along with the rest.

Have to say, Sorc is super easy, if you spec 0/13/28, the insta-CC and the control you have is just crazy good for leveling. But the Assassin is a ton of fun and I am not even high enough to get the good stuff like self-healing Force Lightning!

TL: DR
Sorc is easy, 'Sin is fun.
Stupid should be painful.
Thorns shall not bar my path, I am the Thornwalker.

Badal-Mirob
02.24.2012 , 12:54 PM | #9
I started out playing a Vanguard trooper, got him to 50 and lost interest. I'm leveling as Assassin (lvl 30 atm) and it's so much more fun! PvP is a blast, he class story has all kinds of double-crossing and intrigue. Stealth makes missions and PvP easy mode plus the dmg output is insane.

In short, Assassins rule.
A Jedi does not cling to sorrow. -Plo Koon

Squidkidz
02.25.2012 , 07:03 AM | #10
I started the game levelling an assassin, tried out some other classes since and I always get bored and get back on my 'sin tank. One of the main really cool things I must say is being able to do all my dailies minus 2 by myself, then seeing groups of 3-4 players run in to witness you solo'ing the end boss. Makes you feel like a truly powerful Sith IMO. However, I have not tried playing a sorc so I am definitely biased.