Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

MusedMoose
02.28.2012 , 07:20 AM | #501
Quote: Originally Posted by Jalamorf View Post
I don't post much on these forums, mostly because I'm much better at lurking than commenting. Don't take my lack of activity elsewhere as anything other than I haven't found many other threads worth commenting on. Let me also state that I belong to one of the player archetypes mentioned earlier, and I'd like to see this feature implemented.

I like to type a lot, so TL;DR, I support your cause on this, but I hope you are taking the software developers' perspective into account on this issue. Not everything is as easy as you might think it is.
Thanks for the insight, and welcome to the thread. While I understand your points, I also hope the devs can see this from our perspective. It's frustrating to hear about a feature being implemented in the future and then hear nothing more. As I've said before, I believe that BioWare has their reasons for not giving us any more information, but any kind of update would be nice.

Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidaj View Post
Lastly just to clarify, all they have said is "we're aware of it", they've never actually stated they are or intended to "work on it".
That is incorrect. BioWare has said that SGRs will be in the game, which is significantly different from just saying "we're aware of it". We also have the statements from CS that told us the devs were in fact working on SGRs. You've made statements like this before. Please stop spreading misinformation.

wainot-keel
02.28.2012 , 08:22 AM | #502
Late to the party, but I fully support this.

Where's the poll the OP talks about ?

I also would like to know an ETA on this, and some notion on how this will be implemented.

For me, the perfect approach will be to remove the gender check from romances alltogether. I love the Dragon Age 2 romances. You like X character and you want to romance her/him, you don't have to play a specific gender to do so. That's really good. More choices for everybody. Right now, I have an awesome female Juggernaugt that I'm not playing b/c of this. ATM, it's either Quinn or loneliness. So she's resting at D. Kaas' cantina...

Kioma
02.28.2012 , 09:06 AM | #503
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
Late to the party, but I fully support this.
That's okay, you're fashionably late.

Quote:
For me, the perfect approach will be to remove the gender check from romances alltogether. I love the Dragon Age 2 romances. You like X character and you want to romance her/him, you don't have to play a specific gender to do so. That's really good. More choices for everybody. Right now, I have an awesome female Juggernaugt that I'm not playing b/c of this. ATM, it's either Quinn or loneliness. So she's resting at D. Kaas' cantina...
Yeah, it's been phrased 'hero-sexuality' - they can become attracted to your hero irrespective of gender. Seems a good enough term to me.

I agree, this is the way to go. It surely must be the easiest way of dealing with the matter from a coding perspective, especially as most (though admittedly not all) romance lines I've seen are pretty gender-neutral.

My JK is Kira-less, too. She's at 50, though - I found the story too compelling to stop playing. Who knows? Maybe they'll put in do-over options or extra companion stories that'll let us 50s try again without recreating our characters.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

sparklecat
02.28.2012 , 09:14 AM | #504
Quote: Originally Posted by mrfuzbear View Post
I personally think SGR's just need a rough ETA, and skimming over the hundreds of questions weekly on the Q&A's is disrespectful to their loyal customer base.
Those who agree may hit the like button here:
http://www.facebook.com/SameGenderSWTOR
You know, I'm fine with all my friends and family knowing I'm a lesbian, but having them learn I play a Star Wars MMO might just be too much for them to forgive

sparklecat
02.28.2012 , 09:22 AM | #505
Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidaj View Post
Is it something they can sit back and hammer out in a day? No of course not, but this isn't something I could envision taking months and months of man hours to accomplish, more like weeks if time is dedicated to it. Or they just have the worst dev tools ever created for a video game, in which case the game is doomed anyway.

Using man hours or some unit of effort as an excuse why this isn't in the game doesn't fly with me considering the amount of time that has elapsed. Even if they didn't start working on this till post-launch they should still be nearing or have completed this.
Way I figure it, if I, as one person with almost no relevant abilties, could turn all the Baldur's Gate II romances gender-neutral in about 4 hours with fan-created tools, I'm pretty sure it's not gonna take them months to do something similar here with an entire team, even with >4 romanceable companions and a little re-voicing added in.

Tsumedai
02.28.2012 , 10:18 AM | #506
Good news: pro-toggle thread has been locked.
Bad news: they've been told to bring it over here.

Jenovan
02.28.2012 , 10:20 AM | #507
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsumedai View Post
Wasn't that thread in the Suggestion Box? o_O
Ebon Hawk * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas

Kioma
02.28.2012 , 10:28 AM | #508
That's... Odd. I'd have thought having their own thread should be fair enough. Ah well, if the mods wish it so...
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

MoogleNut
02.28.2012 , 10:47 AM | #509
http://kotaku.com/5888909/why-a-vide...o-be-a-gay-man

Sooo, maybe the Doctors forgot to send the memo to Bioware Austin

As positive as I try to stay (the medication helps sometimes, honest), articles like this really makes me wonder if Bioware Canada even know what's happening over in Austin, or rather what's NOT happening.

The founders openly support Mass Effect and Dragon age, but not a word about SWTOR?

Makes no sense

sparklecat
02.28.2012 , 10:54 AM | #510
Uh. That seems like not the best idea ever if we're trying to avoid conflict. In fact, it seems an awesome way to ensure it occurs, and this thread eventually "has to be closed" because it's gotten too volatile.