So far I'm surprisingly pleased with my Sith Sorc.

Darth_Solrac

I went in thinking (especially from some of the related hype on the matter on here) that as an SS, my lightsaber would be just for show, no useful damage ever dealt, etc.

Not the case tho, which pleases me. I wanted the aesthetic awesomeness of the SS, but not a total melee/close up wuss either. My lightning remains more useful & the smarter move by far, but it's cool to know I can still cut down weak & even most strong enemies with it.

What level are you?

As you level up, it becomes less and less used, until I finally took it off my bar completely somewhere in the 30s. Just too many better skills I could use instead of running up and smacking them with a glowstick.

I'm bout to be LV 15. To me, a Sith aint a Sith (or any force user period really) without their LS holstered. I don't think I can bring myself to ever take it off....just seems wrong. I actually enjoy cutting enemies down more with it than zapping them to death, but know that my force abilities are the smarter move.

I'll see as I progress I guess.

I'm bout to be LV 15. To me, a Sith aint a Sith (or any force user period really) without their LS holstered. I don't think I can bring myself to ever take it off....just seems wrong. I actually enjoy cutting enemies down more with it than zapping them to death, but know that my force abilities are the smarter move.

I'll see as I progress I guess.

Sorry, I phrased poorly, I think.

I still have the lightsaber equipped, but I took the skills that use it off my action bar. It still comes out, and I wave it around, use it to deflect blaster bolts, etc. But I don't actually run into melee and attack with it.

I still have the lightsaber equipped, but I took the skills that use it off my action bar. It still comes out, and I wave it around, use it to deflect blaster bolts, etc. But I don't actually run into melee and attack with it.

Right, such is supposed to be the SOP of the SS. Still, every now & then, if I know I can get away with it, I'm coming up close & personal.

Nothing beats a good LS duel.

I sometimes use Thrash for a quick 1-2-dead on mobs that my Force Storm doesn't quite take down. I used it more before lvl 34 (when you get Force Storm), mainly whenever a low health melee mob ran up to say hi. It's cheap and instant, and it's there. Better than wasting a Force Lightning for only 1 tick to go off, and faster than casting a Lightning Strike.

Bloody hilarious in PvP when you start swinging your saber at someone for the kill. I do it all the time vs a melee opponent that's almost dead. (note that I only do it when 2-3 hits are gonna kill them and I'm not in danger at all)

But you should never ever use it in any serious content (PvE or PvP). You're a ranged caster and get no benefit to your melee attacks from Willpower, so all Thrash and Saber Slash are good for as a Sorc are for some flair taking out the last sliver of hp something has.

(btw love your sig OP)

Edited by KelbornX

I sometimes use Thrash for a quick 1-2-dead on mobs that my Force Storm doesn't quite take down. I used it more before lvl 34 (when you get Force Storm), mainly whenever a low health melee mob ran up to say hi. It's cheap and instant, and it's there. Better than wasting a Force Lightning for only 1 tick to go off, and faster than casting a Lightning Strike.

Bloody hilarious in PvP when you start swinging your saber at someone for the kill. I do it all the time vs a melee opponent that's almost dead. (note that I only do it when 2-3 hits are gonna kill them and I'm not in danger at all)

But you should never ever use it in any serious content (PvE or PvP). You're a ranged caster and get no benefit to your melee attacks from Willpower, so all Thrash and Saber Slash are good for as a Sorc are for some flair taking out the last sliver of hp something has.

(btw love your sig OP)

Thank you.

As far as damage go for an healer, it outdamages lightning strike, thats it :p

Main use I have for it is finishing a random mob that manages to survive shock->tumult.

A DPS sorc, especially with madness (FL on no cooldown) should have no use for it, other than just feeling like wacking something for fun. Kinda amusing to finish elites and champions with it :p

You don't? Assassin/Shadow get's melee damage from willpower (or so I assume), why not Sorc/Sage? Feels stupid of them to give us powers that do nothing and overly complex for the two builds to get different things from their main attribute.

Edited by Zephraim

You don't? Assassin/Shadow get's melee damage from willpower (or so I assume), why not Sorc/Sage? Feels stupid of them to give us powers that do nothing and overly complex for the two builds to get different things from their main attribute.

The Sith Sorcerer (and their mirror the Jedi Sage) is the only class that doesn't gain benefit to two damage types from their primary stat. IA's Cunning and BH's Aim both affect both Ranged and Tech attacks. SW's Strength and an Assassin's Willpower both affect both Force and Melee attacks. Sorcerers, however, gain no such benefit. Then again, Sorcs are also the only AC that uses only a single type of attack (Force) rather than a mix of two.

Sorcs are very different from the other 7 ACs (ignoring mirrors for now) for a number of reasons, actually. They are the only AC with a large resource pool that has a very slow regen (as a percentage of maximum resources). They are the only AC that effectively has no free basic attack. They are also the only AC that gains precisely zero benefit from Accuracy. Sorcs are just sorta weird in a lot of ways...

You don't need a melee buff, since you are not a melee class, while the assassin is a melee DPS/tank.

Your thrash still work. But it doesn't benefit from your willpower. Ranged DPS/healer are suppose to try and stay ranged, not rush in lightsaber blazing. So it does something, but its far from being a frequently used ability. Its your sole lightsaber move anyway.

To more directly answer the question: Sorc/Sage is not a melee class in any way, shape, or form, so there's no reason for their three melee attacks (don't forget the oddball Tumult too) to get a damage scaling. Willpower for a Sorc buffs Force Damage and Healing. I don't have an Assassin yet, but I'd assume that Willpower does not buff Force Healing for them (and if it does they don't have any real heals anyway).

The saber attacks (as a Sorc) are pretty much only for when you were still an Inquisitor in the start zone, or you just want a bit of flair as a killing blow. So it's not really stupid that they're there.

Edited by KelbornX

ToTaL BS, willpower increases your melee dmg just like your forcepowers and yes we got a free "autoattack" it's the saber skill you have at lvl 1 which DOESN'T cost any force like thrash (which considering the forcepool is "practically" free as well).

everything is THERE:rolleyes::p

ToTaL BS, willpower increases your melee dmg just like your forcepowers and yes we got a free "autoattack" it's the saber skill you have at lvl 1 which DOESN'T cost any force like thrash (which considering the forcepool is "practically" free as well).

everything is THERE:rolleyes::p

Log on to your Sorc and mouse over Willpower on the stats page. It only does Force Damage Bonus, Force Critical Chance and Healing Power: Force for Sorcerers.

While Saber Strike is free... it hits like a wet noodle. At least Thrash hits like a wooden spoon.

You can't cast spells without your lightsaber equipped.

You can't cast spells without your lightsaber equipped.

Actually, it's rather bipolar which you can cast and which you can't. Pretty much all of the dps force abilities can be cast without one equipped, but Static Barrier and Cloud Mind can't, as well as a number of others. It's very odd.

if you're using your melee ability as a sorc you should re-roll already.

OTOH I like fighting you. lol keep using your lightsaber move. you can use force speed to hit me in the back oh mah gawd!

If I'm fighting anyone in PvP and they're at <5% hp and I'm at a reasonable amount (like 50%+), I'm gonna finish them off with Thrash just because it's funny. Could I just hit Shock? Yeah. Some people get really mad when I do this too, and it shows. If people have hate for me, my healing, and my finishing them off with a saber as a Sorc... there's a good chance they'll waste time chasing me and forget about our ball carrier / other objectives.

Edited by KelbornX