Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So far I'm surprisingly pleased with my Sith Sorc.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
So far I'm surprisingly pleased with my Sith Sorc.

Darth_Solrac
02.21.2012 , 07:32 PM | #1
I went in thinking (especially from some of the related hype on the matter on here) that as an SS, my lightsaber would be just for show, no useful damage ever dealt, etc.

Not the case tho, which pleases me. I wanted the aesthetic awesomeness of the SS, but not a total melee/close up wuss either. My lightning remains more useful & the smarter move by far, but it's cool to know I can still cut down weak & even most strong enemies with it.
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

Droidist
02.21.2012 , 07:34 PM | #2
The real test comes post level 30. I am also enjoy mine, an alt from my agent, that I play while waiting for double xp bonus to buld up lol.

I like the story line as well.
A force of one, yes, the solo player!

DarthDemens
02.21.2012 , 07:35 PM | #3
What level are you?

As you level up, it becomes less and less used, until I finally took it off my bar completely somewhere in the 30s. Just too many better skills I could use instead of running up and smacking them with a glowstick.
Oh, great . you live on in our hearts!
Comprehensive Guide to Space Missions

Darth_Solrac
02.21.2012 , 07:40 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDemens View Post
What level are you?

As you level up, it becomes less and less used, until I finally took it off my bar completely somewhere in the 30s. Just too many better skills I could use instead of running up and smacking them with a glowstick.
I'm bout to be LV 15. To me, a Sith aint a Sith (or any force user period really) without their LS holstered. I don't think I can bring myself to ever take it off....just seems wrong. I actually enjoy cutting enemies down more with it than zapping them to death, but know that my force abilities are the smarter move.

I'll see as I progress I guess.

DarthDemens
02.21.2012 , 07:44 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Solrac View Post
I'm bout to be LV 15. To me, a Sith aint a Sith (or any force user period really) without their LS holstered. I don't think I can bring myself to ever take it off....just seems wrong. I actually enjoy cutting enemies down more with it than zapping them to death, but know that my force abilities are the smarter move.

I'll see as I progress I guess.
Sorry, I phrased poorly, I think.

I still have the lightsaber equipped, but I took the skills that use it off my action bar. It still comes out, and I wave it around, use it to deflect blaster bolts, etc. But I don't actually run into melee and attack with it.
Oh, great . you live on in our hearts!
Comprehensive Guide to Space Missions

Darth_Solrac
02.21.2012 , 07:47 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDemens View Post
Sorry, I phrased poorly, I think.

I still have the lightsaber equipped, but I took the skills that use it off my action bar. It still comes out, and I wave it around, use it to deflect blaster bolts, etc. But I don't actually run into melee and attack with it.
Right, such is supposed to be the SOP of the SS. Still, every now & then, if I know I can get away with it, I'm coming up close & personal.

Nothing beats a good LS duel.

KelbornX
02.21.2012 , 09:34 PM | #7
I sometimes use Thrash for a quick 1-2-dead on mobs that my Force Storm doesn't quite take down. I used it more before lvl 34 (when you get Force Storm), mainly whenever a low health melee mob ran up to say hi. It's cheap and instant, and it's there. Better than wasting a Force Lightning for only 1 tick to go off, and faster than casting a Lightning Strike.

Bloody hilarious in PvP when you start swinging your saber at someone for the kill. I do it all the time vs a melee opponent that's almost dead. (note that I only do it when 2-3 hits are gonna kill them and I'm not in danger at all)

But you should never ever use it in any serious content (PvE or PvP). You're a ranged caster and get no benefit to your melee attacks from Willpower, so all Thrash and Saber Slash are good for as a Sorc are for some flair taking out the last sliver of hp something has.

(btw love your sig OP)

Darth_Solrac
02.21.2012 , 11:01 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by KelbornX View Post
I sometimes use Thrash for a quick 1-2-dead on mobs that my Force Storm doesn't quite take down. I used it more before lvl 34 (when you get Force Storm), mainly whenever a low health melee mob ran up to say hi. It's cheap and instant, and it's there. Better than wasting a Force Lightning for only 1 tick to go off, and faster than casting a Lightning Strike.

Bloody hilarious in PvP when you start swinging your saber at someone for the kill. I do it all the time vs a melee opponent that's almost dead. (note that I only do it when 2-3 hits are gonna kill them and I'm not in danger at all)

But you should never ever use it in any serious content (PvE or PvP). You're a ranged caster and get no benefit to your melee attacks from Willpower, so all Thrash and Saber Slash are good for as a Sorc are for some flair taking out the last sliver of hp something has.

(btw love your sig OP)
Thank you.

verfallen
02.22.2012 , 12:51 AM | #9
As far as damage go for an healer, it outdamages lightning strike, thats it :P

Main use I have for it is finishing a random mob that manages to survive shock->tumult.

A DPS sorc, especially with madness (FL on no cooldown) should have no use for it, other than just feeling like wacking something for fun. Kinda amusing to finish elites and champions with it :P

Zephraim
02.22.2012 , 01:02 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by KelbornX View Post
You don't? Assassin/Shadow get's melee damage from willpower (or so I assume), why not Sorc/Sage? Feels stupid of them to give us powers that do nothing and overly complex for the two builds to get different things from their main attribute.