Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanks: Does Threat Seem Off To You?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tanks: Does Threat Seem Off To You?

tXHereticXt
02.24.2012 , 07:28 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Dayfax View Post
I've heard that Guardians have the weakest AoE threat of any tanking class, so it's not just you.
This and their DPS (same goes for Juggs) is fairly low compared to other tank-capable classes. It's not that it's impossible to hold agro, it's just far easier on the other classes with tank spec.

Philmors
02.24.2012 , 07:32 AM | #42
I think threat should only really be a minor variable that should only be a factor in the beginning of a fight or when a new mob appears. The standard rotation should be enough to keep aggro.

Kitru
02.24.2012 , 12:25 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Philmors View Post
I think threat should only really be a minor variable that should only be a factor in the beginning of a fight or when a new mob appears. The standard rotation should be enough to keep aggro.
It generally is, unless you're just doing it wrong or horribly undergeared. What freaks out most people that are used to getting threat and then keeping it forever in other games is that TOR is *resplendent* with threat drops. The devs put taunt on a 15 second CD (rather than the 1 minute standard that most people are used to) for good reason: they expect you to use it *a lot*. Any tank that hasn't learned to spot a threat drop isn't going to last long in TOR, and any tank that isn't fast with his/her taunt application isn't going to last long either. In my own guild, I've been blamed for pulling threat on a boss when the boss used a threat drop because the MT didn't realize it was a threat drop. People just need to realize that threat is not something that the players affect; the enemies they're fighting like affecting it too.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Valorn
02.24.2012 , 12:34 PM | #44
Yes, tank threat is off because it doesn't scale.

At end-game gearing...

DPS gets more dps in the form of primary stat increases,
Tanks get more survivability and only get dps increases from primary stat increases, which is very small.

Additionally, dps specs put out a lot more damage than tank specs. The +50% threat a tank gets usually covers this for lower tiers of gearing and lower levels, where tanks don't actually stack any defensive stats and have damage stats like everyone else.

As the gearing continues, DPS starts getting further and further ahead of tank dps as the tanks get survivability stats and the dps gets dps improvement stats.

So you will inevitably reach a point where tank's can't hold threat on dps due to gearing. I see it in Rakata gearing and a bit before. You see it at lower levels if you have an under-geared tank or very geared dps.

The only option is for tanks to drop some tanking gear/stats in favor of dps, or to change their spec to one that favors more dps.

The game needs a way for threat to scale with gearing. WoW had the right idea by making threat scale with HP, as tank HP increases quite a lot on tank gear vs dps gear. So the preferred solution here would be for tanks with more HP gear (i.e. tanking gear) to put out more threat than tanks with lower HP (lower tiered gear or not tanking gear).

Kitru
02.24.2012 , 12:47 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Valorn View Post
Yes, tank threat is off because it doesn't scale.
I'm curious where exactly you're arriving at this sentiment from.

Tanks have less of their primary stats in set gear, but not appreciably less. The actual sets all vary in whether they have the high primary, low endurance or roughly-the-same-for-both armoring, which is where a majority of your primary stats come from. The splits are all 3/2 or 2/3 for every armor set, including tanks. The only stat advantage that DPS characters have over tanks is in the assignment of secondary stats, which don't create as large of a discrepancy as you might think. A majority of damage and DPS is primarily dependent upon your primary stat and your MH/OH stats (weapon damage and either Force or Tech damage). Those values scale the same for everyone. Since tanks simply need to maintain 66% of the offensive capabilities of a DPS character to have their threat scale evenly (1.5 threat mod and 1.0 threat mod), tanks are actually doing just fine, since that 66% comes from the values that tanks and DPS share; the other 33% comes from taking surge, crit, and power instead of defense, shield, and absorb.

In short, it does scale; it just doesn't scale how you think it does because you don't know the comparative quantities provided by the relevant stats and pieces of gear.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.