Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanks: Does Threat Seem Off To You?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tanks: Does Threat Seem Off To You?

BoomstarPrime
02.21.2012 , 09:26 AM | #11
From a shadow tank perspective: Single target feels pretty much where it should be. AoE threat however is a mess. You simply will not hold it against commando's, gunslingers, etc.

Overall though the threat in this game feels slightly wonky at times since there are far to many abilities that trash mobs have that may make it switch targets. Which makes the tank feel under valued imo.

JustTed
02.21.2012 , 09:26 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Knewt View Post
Blizzard eliminated threat because the threat meta-game wasn't fun. I actually prefer a model where threat is easier and tanks spend more time on active mitigation abilities. I don't want threat to be stupid easy so any monkey can do it, but it needs to be tuned to a point where someone doing a basic rotation won't loose threat on an AoE pack if they make a single mistake. Give us more active mitigation work that also acts as threat (like a damage shield or AoE debuffs).
I like tanking because it feels like being one of those guys spinning plates on sticks, running back and forth to each plate making sure they keep spinning and that nothing drops. It's like juggling and it ruined healing and DPSing for me, which can't hold my interest anymore.

I like having a dozen balls in the air, but these feel like they're made of lead.

AngelousWang
02.21.2012 , 09:26 AM | #13
Guardian/Juggernaut > holding threat on more than one target is hard.

Assassin/Shadow > keeping threat on bosses can be hard if the DPS get too spammy/over dpsing, but AOE is generally fine.

Powertech/Vanguard > holding threat is cake, has lots more (3 abilities more) AOE than Guard/Jugg, and comparable single target.
CE VIP

Frostvein
02.21.2012 , 09:27 AM | #14
What? Just check omen or the built in threat meter and yo....oh. Yea. Never mind.
Meanwhile, in Tera general chat -

"The sad thing is, arguing with fanbois on the forums was more entertaining than their 300 million dollar single player MMO from 2008"

JustTed
02.21.2012 , 09:28 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelousWang View Post
Guardian/Juggernaut > holding threat on more than one target is hard.
Assassin/Shadow > keeping threat on bosses can be hard if the DPS get too spammy/over dpsing, but AOE is genral fine.
Powertech/Vanguard > holding threat is cake, has lots more (3 abilities more) AOE than Guard/Jugg, and comparable single target.
So it is the Burning Crusade.

Paladins = off tank that hold adds.

Warriors = Single target, Main tank.

Bleh.

peaceandpassion
02.21.2012 , 09:29 AM | #16
Having no issues with threat. Once you get some decent gear i dont often loose agro and when i do its to a commando who can tank the dmg.

Rule of thumb = if its not gold+ then tanking it isnt a major worry.

(Gaurdian defence spec - columi/rakata geared)
◄║▒▒╠ ╣║▓╞∞╡███████████████████████████████████) - PeaceAndPassion

JustTed
02.21.2012 , 09:31 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by peaceandpassion View Post
Having no issues with threat. Once you get some decent gear i dont often loose agro and when i do its to a commando who can tank the dmg.
I'm in full Columi. Trouble is, so are the DPS.

Quip
02.21.2012 , 09:32 AM | #18
Threat is a boring mechanic, it was terrible in WoW during the late stages of classic and early BC and then they made it an annoyance again at the beginning of Cata before they sobered up.

I like my cool-downs to be survivability, throttling players by threat just winds up making the game less fun. I realise that MMOs aren't supposed to be fun but screw it! I'm old and my leisure time is no longer about suffering, it's about goofing off.

I say make threat secondary, make my game while tanking a game of easing the burden on my healers. That way healers can spend more of their time trying to keep the fire standers... I MEAN DPS... up.

I'm really, really tired of trying to teach DPS to stop licking the windows anyway.
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunitySupport View Post
4/22. After this date, the Off-Topic forum will no longer be available.

peaceandpassion
02.21.2012 , 09:35 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by JustTed View Post
I'm in full Columi. Trouble is, so are the DPS.
With guardian i find it easy, jump in hit 1 mob, stasis 2nd, force push another kill 1st jump to 3rd (pushed) saber through 2nd. All this while i use force sweep and aoe agro taunt. and the single target taunt i use on a mob we are not hitting.

Its just finding a rotation that suits you. Tanking 8mans in nmm atm and honestly i dont have an issue. O and dont forget to "guardian leap" those pesky commandos once and a while (use guard on highest melee dps)
◄║▒▒╠ ╣║▓╞∞╡███████████████████████████████████) - PeaceAndPassion

Dayfax
02.21.2012 , 09:47 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Knewt View Post
Blizzard eliminated threat because the threat meta-game wasn't fun. I actually prefer a model where threat is easier and tanks spend more time on active mitigation abilities. I don't want threat to be stupid easy so any monkey can do it, but it needs to be tuned to a point where someone doing a basic rotation won't loose threat on an AoE pack if they make a single mistake. Give us more active mitigation work that also acts as threat (like a damage shield or AoE debuffs).
I always thought it was fun -- or, it used to be fun when DPS pulling aggro in a 5 man pretty much meant instant death.

At least then, there's something at risk for the players.
"Sounds like you could use a soldier."