Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Revenge of the Sith. What for who?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Revenge of the Sith. What for who?

TheCoug
02.21.2012 , 01:32 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Gabrielnz View Post
Agreed, I was going to read those novels until that was mentioned. Ranks up there with 'Revan reborn'.

Would love someone of Clancys calibre to write a Star Wars novel.
Read the Thrawn Trilogy starting with Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn.
Darth Coug | Tyranus Legacy | Scourge of the Jedi
lvl 50 Sith Marauder
<The Nerf Herders> | Guildmaster | Cho Mai Server

Riotus
02.21.2012 , 01:37 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by jannickj View Post
there! RIGHT THERE! "thought bomb".... thats why the only EU i need is what GL and Bioware tells me -.-
the darth bane trilogy and most eu books are cannon. just because u dont like it doesnt make it false.

Toonimator
02.21.2012 , 01:38 PM | #23
The way I heard it, Return of the Jedi was originally called Return of the Jedi, then someone (George, 20th Century Fox, someone, I forget) thought "Revenge" sounded cooler, so they went to press with posters & whatnot...then at the last minute it was pointed out (to George or by George; I forget that, too) that 'revenge' seemed fairly un-Jedi-like.

As for the Sith's revenge, very little is described in the films. I'm kinda curious to what George's thoughts are for how Bane began the Rule of Two; 'Darth Bane' is his creation, but I wonder if Lucas thought much about how they got down to two Sith. Probably nothing more in depth than "The Sith conquered the Republic, the Jedi fought back and killed all of them and only two were left, The End."

Riotus
02.21.2012 , 01:41 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
The way I heard it, Return of the Jedi was originally called Return of the Jedi, then someone (George, 20th Century Fox, someone, I forget) thought "Revenge" sounded cooler, so they went to press with posters & whatnot...then at the last minute it was pointed out (to George or by George; I forget that, too) that 'revenge' seemed fairly un-Jedi-like.

As for the Sith's revenge, very little is described in the films. I'm kinda curious to what George's thoughts are for how Bane began the Rule of Two; 'Darth Bane' is his creation, but I wonder if Lucas thought much about how they got down to two Sith. Probably nothing more in depth than "The Sith conquered the Republic, the Jedi fought back and killed all of them and only two were left, The End."
The rule of two is mentioned by yoda in the prequels. bane is cannon. end of discussion.

Toonimator
02.21.2012 , 01:55 PM | #25
I wasn't disputing Bane as George's creation or the Rule of Two... I'm just curious as to what backstory George had for HOW the Rule was created, how Bane became the 'last' Sith Lord of the old Sith and first of the Banite 'Rule of Two' Sith.

And here's something never explained in the films: how does Yoda know the Rule of Two? I think EU has it that one of the Sith during the period between Bane and Sidious was a fallen Jedi who joined the Sith, then rebelled and tried to return to the light but was driven insane by it, and managed to spill the 'rule of two' info to the Jedi before dying...but we get none of that info in the films. Yoda's not old enough to have been around when the Rule of Two was established, so the Sith were thought extinct by the time he was born.

One of the many plot holes throughout the Saga!

Riotus
02.21.2012 , 01:59 PM | #26
I wasn't disputing Bane as George's creation or the Rule of Two... I'm just curious as to what backstory George had for HOW the Rule was created, how Bane became the 'last' Sith Lord of the old Sith and first of the Banite 'Rule of Two' Sith.

And here's something never explained in the films: how does Yoda know the Rule of Two? I think EU has it that one of the Sith during the period between Bane and Sidious was a fallen Jedi who joined the Sith, then rebelled and tried to return to the light but was driven insane by it, and managed to spill the 'rule of two' info to the Jedi before dying...but we get none of that info in the films. Yoda's not old enough to have been around when the Rule of Two was established, so the Sith were thought extinct by the time he was born.

I myself havent read anything that is between the bane trilogy and episode 1 so i couldnt tell you how the jedi know the rule of two. but knowing GL like we all do i seriously doubt he had any idea in his mind whatsoever as to why there were only 2 sith.

Girdeux
02.21.2012 , 02:54 PM | #27

Its not a plothole. The movie sith obviously operated like the Jedi did, since it was created by a fallen Jedi. One master to an Apprentice. with alot of masters and apprentices. Explained sorta in the TPM novel and lucas backstory interviews.

psandak
02.21.2012 , 03:01 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Malevolent View Post
Think the point was, for ppl who simply watched the films, ignored the books (if it's a properly constructed movie, wouldn't need to read the lore to understand the meaning) wouldn't know why the Sith want Revenge, because it was never explained in the movies
Darth Maul: Tatooine is sparsely populated. If the homing trace is correct, I will find them quickly, Master.
Darth Sideous: Move against the Jedi first. You will then have no difficulty in taking the Queen back to Naboo to sign the treaty.
Darth Maul: At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge.
Darth Sideous: You have been well trained my young apprentice. They will be no match for you.

Well it took longer than expected and Darth Maul was not there to see it, but The Sith did get their revenge.

gtmach
02.21.2012 , 03:29 PM | #29
The final steps of Palpatine's plan (by that I mean the plan of the Sith up until his time) were executed in this movie. The Sith finally initiated their actual revenge. The other prequels along with the history before them has led to this.

meshade
02.21.2012 , 03:47 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
The original title for Episode six was "Revenge of the Jedi". However, at the last minute George Lucas decided that Jedi would never seek revenge and therefore changed the title to "Return of the Jedi" As a matter of fact, merchandizing materials had already been distributed with the "Revenge of the Jedi" (One of my childhood friends, actually got a single subject spiral notebook with "Revenge of the Jed" on the cover.

So, when Episode three was being made, Lucas decided that Sith could and do take revenge and therefore named the episode "Revenge of the Sith"

Nuff Said.
bullcrap, lucas said in an itnerview that he changed revenge to return mostly because merchandise would have much more costs with more letters in it, so he changed to return which fit perfectly on everything.

Yep that's Lucas for you, all on his blu-ray collection (and even more talk from business viewpoint), still loving him :>
It burns, it rips, it hurts