Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Revenge of the Sith. What for who?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Revenge of the Sith. What for who?

TheHiddey's Avatar


TheHiddey
02.20.2012 , 08:50 PM | #1
The title of Episode 3 has always puzzled me. Revenge for what, exactly? I don't recall it being explained in any of the movies, was it explained in EU and, if so, can anybody tell me?
Quote: Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
Did you know Shepherd flies an X-Wing, and destroys Cybertron?

Guildrum's Avatar


Guildrum
02.20.2012 , 09:22 PM | #2
The fact that the Sith were exterminated by the Jedi.

I mean, how else do you go from 1000s of Sith in TOR, to 2 at a time in the Prequels?
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

DigiFluid's Avatar


DigiFluid
02.20.2012 , 09:26 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by TheHiddey View Post
The title of Episode 3 has always puzzled me. Revenge for what, exactly? I don't recall it being explained in any of the movies, was it explained in EU and, if so, can anybody tell me?
Largely, the Jedi are a bunch of arrogant, sanctimonious jerks.

25 millennia before the films, there was the First Great Schism and the Force Wars on Tython, when the adherents of the light decided that theirs was the only way.

13 millennia later there was the Second Great Schism/Hundred-Year Darkness where the Jedi decided that the light-side dogmatic approach was the only way again and went to war with anyone who differed. And in the end, they exiled the Dark Jedi survivors to the unknown regions beyond Republic space--basically a death sentence that they were too self-righteous to carry out.

So the Dark Jedi, in their exile, discover the Sith species and rebuild into an empire of their own. When they struck out for revenge in 5000 BBY (the Great Hyperspace War), they lost. But it wasn't enough that they lost--the Jedi and the Republic did their damndest to exterminate all survivors of the Sith Empire.

1600 years later you get the Great Galactic War and the Cold War (TOR), which we know from later works doesn't last and the Sith Empire as we know it in TOR doesn't exist as recently as a century later.



It's a blood feud, really. Both sides are in it to destroy each other no matter the cost, even though the Jedi dress it up and play-act as saviours and defenders of justice. The Sith are just more open about it.
aka Arkajos, Sith Juggernaut on Assassins of Sion
aka Falkett, Jedi Sentinel on Wall of Light

DigiFluid's Avatar


DigiFluid
02.20.2012 , 09:29 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
The fact that the Sith were exterminated by the Jedi.

I mean, how else do you go from 1000s of Sith in TOR, to 2 at a time in the Prequels?
Whoa there, that's dead wrong. Not to call you out or anything, but that's enormously off-base.

The armies of the Sith fighting in the New Sith Wars were killed off by Darth Bane using Sith sorcery: the thought bomb. He did it to end the old ways and found the Order of the Sith Lords--governed by the Rule of Two.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Order...7s_reformation
aka Arkajos, Sith Juggernaut on Assassins of Sion
aka Falkett, Jedi Sentinel on Wall of Light

Girdeux's Avatar


Girdeux
02.20.2012 , 09:33 PM | #5
Revenge for when the Sith ruled the galaxy for "a very long time", then pretty much got extincted, it was sorta explained in the movies.

Seisaan's Avatar


Seisaan
02.20.2012 , 11:26 PM | #6
"Once more the Sith will rule the Galaxy."

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."

Pretty much all you get from the movies.

Girdeux's Avatar


Girdeux
02.21.2012 , 12:54 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Seisaan View Post
"Once more the Sith will rule the Galaxy."

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."

Pretty much all you get from the movies.
"The oppression of the Sith will never return!"
"The Sith have been extinct for a millenia"
'there hasn't been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic'
"I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand years be split in two!"

Just need to piece them together and you will see there was a massive battle between the Sith/Jedi that ended with the Sith being wiped out BBY 1000. There prolly more quotes im missing though

jannickj's Avatar


jannickj
02.21.2012 , 03:54 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
Whoa there, that's dead wrong. Not to call you out or anything, but that's enormously off-base.

The armies of the Sith fighting in the New Sith Wars were killed off by Darth Bane using Sith sorcery: the thought bomb. He did it to end the old ways and found the Order of the Sith Lords--governed by the Rule of Two.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Order...7s_reformation
there! RIGHT THERE! "thought bomb".... thats why the only EU i need is what GL and Bioware tells me -.-

Gabrielnz's Avatar


Gabrielnz
02.21.2012 , 04:04 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by jannickj View Post
there! RIGHT THERE! "thought bomb".... thats why the only EU i need is what GL and Bioware tells me -.-
Agreed, I was going to read those novels until that was mentioned. Ranks up there with 'Revan reborn'.

Would love someone of Clancys calibre to write a Star Wars novel.
Let them hate so long as they fear.

jannickj's Avatar


jannickj
02.21.2012 , 04:08 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Gabrielnz View Post
Agreed, I was going to read those novels until that was mentioned. Ranks up there with 'Revan reborn'.

Would love someone of Clancys calibre to write a Star Wars novel.
not to mention palpatine cheating death by going "the exorcist" on clone bodies-.-