Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Absorption or defense rating for companion tanks?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Absorption or defense rating for companion tanks?

ryonavin
02.20.2012 , 05:54 PM | #1
Its not really clear whether Kaliyo and Scorpio favor Absorption or Defense in regards to tanking.. does it matter? Are both equally acceptable just behave differently (ie mitigation versus evasion)?

Battilea
02.20.2012 , 07:46 PM | #2
You want both. In general though, I tend to favor shielding + absorption.

Rumblegut
02.21.2012 , 03:56 AM | #3
Well, defense means you avoid the blow entirely, but I don't think it kicks in vs AoE. Shielding increases your chance of your shield activating, which then gives you 20% (base) damage reduction vs that blow, and I think it does affect AoE damage. Absorbtion increase the amount the shield aborobs. Problem with +shield at lower lvls is the chance of it activating is so low it is basically providing an additional 5% mitigation. Scorpio has a talent which causes activates the shield, I think for a set amount of time, which gives it much greater mitigation in a short fight. But Kaliyo might get that talent too, I have not used her in quite a while.

I personally would prioritize them in that order, defense, shield, absorb, but asking this on the Bounty Hunter, or either Sith forum would probably get you a much more detailed ... and I bet energetic response. But then again they probably have talents which greatly changes the equation for defense vs shield.

Sindeon
02.21.2012 , 05:25 AM | #4
they do or at least they haev a few. My first 50 was a juggernaut while im getting up Opertive and i agree with previous poster defense then shield and then absorb. As asorb really doesnt come into play until shield works so getting both. IF you have it one way that is easy to get the chances up to a good lvl if your augmenting orange items for them is to use the Immunity or steadfast enhancements as they have both good shield chance and defense chance on one item can really help and that way its one item and you get what you want.
Sinog - 50 Sith Juggernaut - Lord Adraas
Sincor - 50 Imperial Operative - Lord Adraas
Sindeon - Sith Sorc - Lord Adraas