Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is expertise worth it?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Is expertise worth it?

somnang
02.20.2012 , 12:59 PM | #1
I've been experimenting with mix and matching different gear for pvp and so far I haven't really notice any significant changes. I'm an Operative healer (28/13/0 spec). Currently I'm using the following gear setup:

Head: Rakata Field Medic
Chest: BM Field Medic
Gloves: Champion Enforcer
Belt: BM Field Medic
Legs: Champ Field Medic
Feet: Rakata Field Medic
Ear: BM Field Medic
Implants: BM Enforcer 2x
Wrists: Rakata Field Medic
Relics: Matrix Cube M7-R3 & Perpetual Healing Device
Weapon: Champ Field Medic Rifle
Knife: Champ Field Medic

(The BM pieces I listed above are the only BM I have so far)

With the above setup, I have 438 expertise (that's +9.28% increase in dmg, dmg reduction, and healing boost on/against players). My HP is at 17913 (unbuffed), Crit chance at 29.18%, Cunning at 1526, Power is 365.

Now, the following is my setup with the most expertise I can get so far:

Head: Champ Field Medic
Chest: BM Field Medic
Gloves: Champ Enforcer
Belt: BM Field Medic
Legs: Champ Field Medic
Feet: Champ Field Medic
Ear: BM Field Medic
Implants: BM Enforcer 2x
Wrists: Champ Field Medic
Relics: Champ Relic of Boundless Ages & Champ Relic of Forbidden Secrets
Weapon: Champ Field Medic Rifle
Knife: Champ Field Medic

The above setup: I have 672 expertise (12.32%), BUT my HP is at 16662, Crit chance is 28.60%, Cunning at 1376, Power at 315.

My question is: is having more expertise (about 3% increase), worth it over decrease in other stats? My HP, Crit, Cunning, and Power drops. I've done warzones and Ilum with these 2 setups and really I haven't notice much. It sucks that there aren't any dmg/heal meters or at the very least, combat log.

What do you guys recommend/think? I read that there's a soft cap on expertise at around 500?

Bizwolf
02.20.2012 , 01:05 PM | #2
You go full BM with the 2 piece bonus from pve gear. At least that's what I do. If I'm focused on, I'm dying anyway so to lose 100 expertise for the pve bonus, I'm fine with.

RobNightfall
02.20.2012 , 01:08 PM | #3
I see a lot of BMs use four pieces of BM gear and rakata weapons and one other piece of rakata gear. I'm not there yet so I don't know for sure, but they seem to hit the hardest and soak up the most punishment so I'm thinking that's the way to gear up right now.
Edited because the devs appear to have fixed at least 80% of the crap that was pissing me off.

somnang
02.20.2012 , 01:18 PM | #4
Yeah I'm not there with BM pieces yet -- only have Implants, Ear, chest and belt. I'm working on it though.

So it's any combo of 4 BM gear with Rakata weap + another Rakata piece? I'm almost full Rakata -- just missing gloves, knife and another implant.

LanceUpercutt
02.20.2012 , 01:21 PM | #5
around 8% expertise and rest rakata

Oghier
02.20.2012 , 01:27 PM | #6
Expertise benefits healers more than any other role, even more so if, like the OP, they're a hybrid spec also designed to do damage. I also play an Op healer/ hybrid (28/0/13). No other builds take full advantage of expertise, as it buffs healing, damage and mitigation.

Unless you value the 2-piece PvE bonus (+15% backstab crit) highly, wear your best PvP gear in PvP. The only reason it's a closer call for the OP is that he's mixing tiers (Rakata vs Champ).
- Snit (IA Healer)
- Oghier (BH Tank)
Ven Zallow Server

Yutaa
02.20.2012 , 01:33 PM | #7
You aren't comparing BM to Rakata, you mostly comparing Champin to Rakata.
Rakata > Champ.

So stay with Rakata until u get full BM. Then it all depends from set bonuses.

somnang
02.20.2012 , 01:35 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Oghier View Post
Expertise benefits healers more than any other role, even more so if, like the OP, they're a hybrid spec also designed to do damage. I also play an Op healer/ hybrid (28/0/13). No other builds take full advantage of expertise, as it buffs healing, damage and mitigation.

Unless you value the 2-piece PvE bonus (+15% backstab crit) highly, wear your best PvP gear in PvP. The only reason it's a closer call for the OP is that he's mixing tiers (Rakata vs Champ).

Thanks for the info!! I'll go back to my full pvp gear for a bit.

A little bit offtopic, how's the 28/0/13 build? I thought about it at first, but eventually using the 13 pts in Concealment.

Oghier
02.20.2012 , 01:51 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by somnang View Post
Thanks for the info!! I'll go back to my full pvp gear for a bit.

A little bit offtopic, how's the 28/0/13 build? I thought about it at first, but eventually using the 13 pts in Concealment.
Comparisons, limited to PvP considerations:

- Lethality is slightly better at healing others, while Concealment is moderately better at healing yourself (Lethality vs Survival Training).

- Concealment build has permanent 15% in-combat speed boost; Lethality has a four-second 30% sprint attached to a reduced cooldown Debilitate.

- Lethality build has noticeably better energy regeneration, while Concealment has noticeably better health regen (Combat Stims vs Revitalizers).

- Lethality build does a LOT more damage overall, but it's DoT damage, so it's far less bursty and not as good at one-on-ones as the Concealment build.

- Lethality build does most of its damage at range. Can help you stay out of trouble.

- You've boosted Backstab to be much better. I've boosted Corrosive Dart (see above)

- Lethality has a 21-second AoE DoT on a short cooldown. Good luck capping a node if I'm within 30 meters

That covers the essentials. I have tried both builds (extensively), and they're both far better than any 31-pt Medicine build in PvP. The thing I miss most from yours is the speed increase from Infiltrator. That's a big deal. But the increased energy regen and the cap-prevention from the Lethality build give it the edge for me.
- Snit (IA Healer)
- Oghier (BH Tank)
Ven Zallow Server

Jamuro
02.20.2012 , 02:12 PM | #10
get expertise until you reach the 10% mark ... from then on you need just insane amounts of expertise to benefit (still can be usefull if you tend to use the pvp adrenal)

I would say go at least 2 set items rataka, the other stuff bm and switch some bm mods for rataka ones ... depending on which stat you prefer