Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Direct X 11 is a must for this game to stay viable

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Direct X 11 is a must for this game to stay viable

JerokTalram
02.20.2012 , 12:08 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by SushaBrancaleone View Post
there are many strange decisions Bio made. tbh i was suspicious when they moved their offices from canada to texas... i mean from the beautiful and democratic VAncouver, to the messy and dangerous Houston... really? why? no idea
Huh? Bioware is from Edmonton not Vancouver. And if I remember the new story correctly, they didn't move they open a new office in Texas for a new division that was working on an undisclosed MMO.

Red_Vs_Blue
02.20.2012 , 12:09 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Jett-Rinn View Post
Wow...a must even....

I guess someone needs to contact all the developers of every game that isn't directX 11 compatible and tell them the are no longer viable.

:|
Considering how abysmal the fps in this game can be at times even on all low. I would highly suggest they get their game on and go Dx11. And a 300M budget and Dx11? This BW Austin is a dishonor to BW.

Syylara
02.20.2012 , 12:10 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyraele View Post
They already can. Our guild events are up to 125 people with no problem, unless you start fighting then that is lag city, but just rendering was no problem. I didn't see much affect on the FPS and my machine stinks, it is 4 year old hardware.
Where do you hold these events?

We tried to have a community event on the Nar Shaddaa Promenade a few weeks ago that didn't go so well. First it wouldn't allow people to change to instance 1 unless grouped together, then about 10 minutes later it was hard capped and even that didn't allow them to change over. Total planet population was about 120-140 at the time.
Syyl'ara - Twi'lek Smuggler Yaan'su - Chiss Agent
www.swtor-rp.com - Roleplaying community and discussion

Malastare
02.20.2012 , 12:17 PM | #24
Also:

Quote: Originally Posted by Merouk View Post
You could do the research and come at them with a number, like Bioware, less than 1% of your playerbase uses Windows XP, and you're losing 2% of your playerbase per year because you don't improve your graphics, and here's my research and my sources to prove these numbers. and maybe that'll convince them....
It's pretty easy:

Steam Hardware Survey

That shows ~19% of gamers using XP. That is sampling 15-20 million people, by the way, and not just computer users, but customers who bought and play video games.

Oh, and only 2 of the top 10 video cards support DX11 (GTX 560 & ATi 5770).

So, yeah, you can do the research and come up with numbers. It's just not going to support the conclusion you want it to.

Dyraele
02.20.2012 , 12:19 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Syylara View Post
Where do you hold these events?

We tried to have a community event on the Nar Shaddaa Promenade a few weeks ago that didn't go so well. First it wouldn't allow people to change to instance 1 unless grouped together, then about 10 minutes later it was hard capped and even that didn't allow them to change over. Total planet population was about 120-140 at the time.
These were level 1 chars starting in Hutta (around 80-90 players) and Ord Mantell (around 125 players). Most everything we did was outside. We couldn't get everyone in instance 1 for the Ord Mantell one so we all switched to instance 2 and got in.

I know that CE is in here somewhere

bchorn
02.20.2012 , 12:24 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Malastare View Post
Also:

It's pretty easy:

Steam Hardware Survey

That shows ~19% of gamers using XP. That is sampling 15-20 million people, by the way, and not just computer users, but customers who bought and play video games.

Oh, and only 2 of the top 10 video cards support DX11 (GTX 560 & ATi 5770).

So, yeah, you can do the research and come up with numbers. It's just not going to support the conclusion you want it to.
Actually, if you see my post on page 2, you will see that Steam says 31% of users have a DX11 capable system.

Asuka
02.20.2012 , 12:31 PM | #27
Not everyone has a DX11 card and DX9 is fine.

Malastare
02.20.2012 , 12:34 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by bchorn View Post
Actually, if you see my post on page 2, you will see that Steam says 31% of users have a DX11 capable system.
Indeed, I missed it because it was posted directly before one of mine. Nicely done.

So the discussion here is: Would you like to cater to 31% of your customer base at the cost of alienating 69% of them?

Even if we point out that anyone running DX10 should be running DX11, just with a card that can't handle the advanced features of DX11, that is still 21% of your customer base that you've potentially removed. Do we really think that over 20% of the people playing this game are quitting in the near term due to lack of sufficiently tessellated graphics or multi-threaded rendering ("My CPU is so idle, if only SWTOR could give it something to do....")?

Caspian_Rho
02.20.2012 , 12:36 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by SushaBrancaleone View Post
there are many strange decisions Bio made.
Surely you're trolling... everyone knows BW put all ideas into a hat and let a 5 year old pull them out.
Waiting for the definitive Star Wars sandbox mmo...

renegadeimp
02.20.2012 , 12:37 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Red_Vs_Blue View Post
Considering how abysmal the fps in this game can be at times even on all low. I would highly suggest they get their game on and go Dx11. And a 300M budget and Dx11? This BW Austin is a dishonor to BW.
The game didnt take 300 mill to develop.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.