Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Direct X 11 is a must for this game to stay viable

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Direct X 11 is a must for this game to stay viable

renegadeimp
02.20.2012 , 10:46 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Merouk View Post
DirectX 9 is attached to Windows XP, DirectX 11 is attached to Windows 7. I'm guessing that a significant number of people may still be playing on Windows XP, so they are still supporting it.

It's a decision they made, and no amount of yelling and taunting them to "just do it" will convince them to drop potential customers. You could do the research and come at them with a number, like Bioware, less than 1% of your playerbase uses Windows XP, and you're losing 2% of your playerbase per year because you don't improve your graphics, and here's my research and my sources to prove these numbers. and maybe that'll convince them...

But it's doubtful any of us will do all that work.
Thats not how dx works. The OS might support it, but the player would need to have hardware that also supports it.

Going by most of the posts on the CS forums since beta, most people have dx9 or low end dx10 cards.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

BMBender
02.20.2012 , 10:47 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyraele View Post
unless you start fighting then that is lag city,
That was kinda the point I was trying to make; unclear I know
The only thing that should impact a players success/failure in pvpplayervsplayeris his/her skill not what they are wearing. Otherwise call it GvG gear vs gear, crunch the #'s in a calc, face-roll your keyboard, and go watch TV.polls by paulolesonhttp://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164486pollhttp://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164530

MackumDog
02.20.2012 , 10:50 AM | #13
Please let the game put a little pressure on my 9800GTX then Ill think about buying a DX11 card
I can't brain today...I have the dumb

Leesy
02.20.2012 , 10:53 AM | #14
LoL. OP is comedy gold and has no concept of why an mmo wouldnt launch with state of the art graphics lol.

LoL

Sky_walkerPL
02.20.2012 , 10:54 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MackumDog View Post
Please let the game put a little pressure on my 9800GTX then Ill think about buying a DX11 card
That's easy.

Start clicking i quickly (hotkey for opening inventory)
Your FPS will drop below 5 no matter how good PC you have, especially with 9800GTX (which isn't very impressive in a first place).
Sky Legacy, Hydian Way
[COLOR="PaleTurquoise"]Proudly contributed to: Color crystals RE guide DH DB. Created: Imp uniforms list.

MackumDog
02.20.2012 , 10:57 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Sky_walkerPL View Post
That's easy.

Start clicking i quickly (hotkey for opening inventory)
Your FPS will drop below 5 no matter how good PC you have, especially with 9800GTX (which isn't very impressive in a first place).
I know my card isnt impressive, but it isnt underload from this game, and until they improve the graphics it wont be , so there is no point in slapping a DX11 card in

Sky_walkerPL
02.20.2012 , 11:00 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by MackumDog View Post
I know my card isnt impressive, but it isnt underload from this game, and until they improve the graphics it wont be , so there is no point in slapping a DX11 card in
True... very true.
I wish they would double the textures resolution for the beginning (and I mean textures visible in cut scenes, not only these in gameplay), especially for the background objects and fat/tall&wide body type armors.
Cause right now it hurts my eyes.

DX11 would be a nice thing to have although there's so much to do even on field of DX9c that I just can't believe this game was released (almost) in 2012.
Sky Legacy, Hydian Way
[COLOR="PaleTurquoise"]Proudly contributed to: Color crystals RE guide DH DB. Created: Imp uniforms list.

MackumDog
02.20.2012 , 11:07 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Sky_walkerPL View Post
True... very true.
I wish they would double the textures resolution for the beginning (and I mean textures visible in cut scenes, not only these in gameplay), especially for the background objects and fat/tall&wide body type armors.
Cause right now it hurts my eyes.

DX11 would be a nice thing to have although there's so much to do even on field of DX9c that I just can't believe this game was released (almost) in 2012.
Just look at the textures on AoC in comparison, that was released ages ago now. I understand the need to make compatible but my card and PC are 4 year old now, and I would have expected it to have been just about to run this on low settings, I get away with high settings and it has no problems

bchorn
02.20.2012 , 12:00 PM | #19
Here's some interesting stats from the Steam Hardware survey.

43% of all users have a DX10 capable system (i.e. OS is Vista or greater and DX10 card present)
31% of all users have a DX11 capable system (i.e. OS is Vista or greater and DX11 card present)
26% of all users have a DX9 capable system (i.e. OS is XP or video card is DX9).

So adding DX11 support would benefit about a third of the user base and eliminating DX9 support would alienate a quarter of the user base.

Malastare
02.20.2012 , 12:07 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
Thats not how dx works. The OS might support it, but the player would need to have hardware that also supports it.
That's not how DX works either.

The only thing that matters (for game use) is whether the given level is installed on the OS. You can absolutely have DX11 installed with only a DX9 card. However, when you try to use some advanced parts of DX11, it will either require the CPU to do the work (slow, and less reliable) or will just fail (if, say, the game tried to use tessellation on a DX9 card).

In most cases, though, DX11 will auto-select the best (highest) API for the requested task. DirectX11 supports Shader Model 5.0, and that's what it will use if you have a DX11 card. If you only have a DX10 card, then it will downgrade to Shader Model 4.0. If you have a DX9 card, it will use Shader Model 3.0. You only really have problems if the game declares that it requires SM4 or SM5.

Ignoring that, though, the better question is this: Why use DirectX 11?

Beyond the OPs "bigger numbers are obviously better" argument, what benefits would SWTOR really see from DX11? Larger textures? While fun, those will cause even worse technical hurdles than the high detail textures people are asking for now. Shader Model 5? It's mostly a convenience upgrade of Shader Model 4, which doesn't add all that much onto the capabilities of DX9. Multithreaded rendering? Sounds good, but on a game that is already CPU-hungry, this isn't actually attractive. Tessellation? ...

Okay, yeah, tessellation might be nice. And it would only take a year or so for them to take advantage of that. Hopefully, within that year everyone using any card older than the ATI 5xxx and nVidia 5xx series would upgrade. That sounds worthwhile.