Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Direct X 11 is a must for this game to stay viable

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Direct X 11 is a must for this game to stay viable

Icysunx
02.20.2012 , 10:24 AM | #1
Both AMD and Nvidia officially stopped supporting and developing performance drivers for direct x 9 in 2010 and instead stated they would focus primarily on direct x 11(stated on their respective sites). If direct X 11 cards hit the market in 2009, I just can't understand what made the devs think releasing a direct x 9 game in 2012 was a good idea, heck even Wow when direct x 11 and people saw a huge benefit with the new version of cards that began to hit the market. Direct X 11 handles just about everything better, including computer resources, I would think this would be the devs top priority but apparently I am probably mistaken.

(Continuation)

I think people are completely misunderstanding my original post. Adding direct X 11 does not mean they need to completely get rid of direct X 9, it merely means you have the option of using the much more efficient direct X instead of the old one.

Using WoW as an example, when they launched the direct X 11 version, I gained about 25 fps on my D11x card. I also noticed a marketably improved frame rate in large population areas. (Org fully packed for example).

To clarify, in 2012 Bioware should of at least supported Direct X 11 from launch.

MMOS are meant to be played for a considerable amount of years, so the biggest point I am trying to make is that why not future proof a game instead of relying on old technology that continues to have limited support. I would of thought they could have implemented a DX9 version along with DX11 to assist with people who still have not upgraded.

DX11 cards have been on the market for 3 years.

Jett-Rinn
02.20.2012 , 10:26 AM | #2
Wow...a must even....

I guess someone needs to contact all the developers of every game that isn't directX 11 compatible and tell them the are no longer viable.

:|

renegadeimp
02.20.2012 , 10:27 AM | #3
haha no.

This game has no need at all for anything dx11 related. It could use a few dx10 shaders, but thats purely my own preference.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

SushaBrancaleone
02.20.2012 , 10:28 AM | #4
there are many strange decisions Bio made. tbh i was suspicious when they moved their offices from canada to texas... i mean from the beautiful and democratic VAncouver, to the messy and dangerous Houston... really? why? no idea

renegadeimp
02.20.2012 , 10:29 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SushaBrancaleone View Post
there are many strange decisions Bio made. tbh i was suspicious when they moved their offices from canada to texas... i mean from the beautiful and democratic VAncouver, to the messy and dangerous Houston... really? why? no idea
They didnt move. They created a brand new studio in AUSTIN texas used solely for this game. Biowares HQ is still in edmonton canada.
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

Sky_walkerPL
02.20.2012 , 10:32 AM | #6
In first place they should add sharp textures.
Than we can think about DX11.
Sky Legacy, Hydian Way
[COLOR="PaleTurquoise"]Proudly contributed to: Color crystals RE guide DH DB. Created: Imp uniforms list.

BMBender
02.20.2012 , 10:39 AM | #7
Render more than 20 chars on a screen without a mesuarble frame drop then we can talk DX11
The only thing that should impact a players success/failure in pvpplayervsplayeris his/her skill not what they are wearing. Otherwise call it GvG gear vs gear, crunch the #'s in a calc, face-roll your keyboard, and go watch TV.polls by paulolesonhttp://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164486pollhttp://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164530

renegadeimp
02.20.2012 , 10:40 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sky_walkerPL View Post
In first place they should add sharp textures.
Than we can think about DX11.
They said a few weeks ago after that huge thread was posted, that they are introducing some texture changes into 1.2/1.3

Merouk
02.20.2012 , 10:44 AM | #9
DirectX 9 is attached to Windows XP, DirectX 11 is attached to Windows 7. I'm guessing that a significant number of people may still be playing on Windows XP, so they are still supporting it.

It's a decision they made, and no amount of yelling and taunting them to "just do it" will convince them to drop potential customers. You could do the research and come at them with a number, like Bioware, less than 1% of your playerbase uses Windows XP, and you're losing 2% of your playerbase per year because you don't improve your graphics, and here's my research and my sources to prove these numbers. and maybe that'll convince them...

But it's doubtful any of us will do all that work.

Dyraele
02.20.2012 , 10:45 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by BMBender View Post
Render more than 20 chars on a screen without a mesuarble frame drop then we can talk DX11
They already can. Our guild events are up to 125 people with no problem, unless you start fighting then that is lag city, but just rendering was no problem. I didn't see much affect on the FPS and my machine stinks, it is 4 year old hardware.

I know that CE is in here somewhere