Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What I hate about the Jedi's in the Movies...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion

Diamonddug
02.22.2012 , 09:21 PM | #21
The fact that they break their own rules.

Episode I Qui-Gon to Padame : We can't fight a war for you.
Episode III Geivous to the promoted Kenobi who is sent to end the war: General Kenobi. You are a bold one.

Honesty was the first responsibility that aspiring Jedi were taught.

Obi-Wan to Luke: Vader betrayed and Murdered your father.
After being caught in a lie instead of owning up to it Obi-Wan: What I said was true from a certain point of view.

Conquer Arrogance

Jedi were required to learn that, although they were able to use the Force, they were no better than those who could not.

Qui-Gon to Boss Nass using force persuade: We could use a transport.
Boss Nass : We sa give yousa bongo.

Qui-Gon to Wado using force persuade: Credits will do fine.
Wado : No they wont
Qui-Gon to Wado appearing annoyed agian trying to use force persuade: Credits will do fine.
Wado: NO THEY WON'T.

Honor Your Padawan:

A Jedi Master was required to know that they must treat their Padawan with respect. They should never reprimand his Padawan in public

Obi-Wan to Anikin in front of Padame and her Securty: You will learn your place young one.

A Jedi will not kill an unarmed opponent.

Mace Windu to Anikin with unarmed Palpatin on the ground : He is too dangous to be left alive.

Palpi: I'm too weak

Anikin : You can't it's not the Jedi way.

Mace raises sword

Palpi: Please Don't

Anikin:I need him.

Mace starts to bring sword down

Papli: Please don't

Anikin: NOOO !!
Anikin cuts off Maces hand.

Quoted : http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Code
Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.
Though passion I gain strength. Though strength I gain power.
Though power I gain victory.
In victory my chains are broken.

Andramuss
02.22.2012 , 09:22 PM | #22
Quote:
Midi-chlorians.

DrFaroohk
02.23.2012 , 12:19 AM | #23
...because they're extremely stupid.

"K so we at least suspect there's a sith lord in the senate....hmmm...well we shouldn't worry about it. senator palpatine just came in out of nowhere and got elected chancellor, and now the senate pretty much does whatever he tells them too. heh, it's almost like mind control! so we can ignore that problem."

Dire-Wolf
02.23.2012 , 12:28 AM | #24
They're huge hypocrits.

EnsignSorrow
02.23.2012 , 05:02 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
Force Speed was barely shown in Ep1, and conveniently forgotten by Obi-Wan late in the same film to ensure Qui-Gon had a one-on-one with Maul. If Obi-Wan had just pretended there were droidekas behind him, he may have made it through the shields in time to aid Qui-Gon. I wanted to see more Force powers, too... I always wished Maul would've done some flashy move to knock the Jedi back, then spun and zapped them with lightning.

What I hate about the Jedi in the movies is they're so strict. I know that's what led to their downfall, being so blinded by their rules & rituals, particularly their views on emotions and attachments. Yoda's excuse of Luke's age in Ep5 was obviously a stalling tactic, but then we discover that even being 9 is "too old" in Ep1! We also took for granted that the Force could run strong in families, until we were told Jedi aren't supposed to have families. Even TOR is pushing that on us with most Jedi flirtations & romance netting us Dark Side points, though it's only a few centuries after Jolee Bindo proved to us that love & marriage among Jedi isn't always a bad thing.
That's because there has been many variations in the Jedi code. In certain eras of the Jedi order marriage was allowed, and sometimes under certain circumstances. Like how Revan, and Bastilla were able to become married (as long as Revan promised to not teach his teachings to other Jedi within the order), or like you mentioned in the new order that Luke had established: marriage was allowed. I forget the name, but there was a rogue Jedi order that allowed for marriage, as well.

The reason marriage was not allowed in most cases was to prevent family dynasties of force sensitives who inherited a strong connection to the force. This could lead to the dark side if those dynasties sought power over one another. This was prevented in certain times with strong regulations of marriage. Attachment is also a path to the dark side.

In SWTOR for example you can romance your companions to a certain degree. Just not fall in love with them. Which is perfectly legit in the Jedi code.

Quote:
Jedi do not marry (with some exceptions), in order to avoid attachment and—according to Vergere—so as not to create dynasties of those strong in the Force. However, in many periods of the Order's history, such as the era prior to Exar Kun and in Luke Skywalker's reformed Jedi Order, marriage was not forbidden. That being said, celibacy was enforced in many periods of the Order's history.

Lightmaguz
02.23.2012 , 05:54 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Diamonddug View Post
The fact that they break their own rules.

Episode I Qui-Gon to Padame : We can't fight a war for you.
Episode III Geivous to the promoted Kenobi who is sent to end the war: General Kenobi. You are a bold one.
He was saying he didn't have soldiers, he still went out to fight when they formed a plan, WAY to interpret dialogue.

Quote:
Obi-Wan to Luke: Vader betrayed and Murdered your father.
After being caught in a lie instead of owning up to it Obi-Wan: What I said was true from a certain point of view.
Cause fomenting anger in your young pupil who's already all screwed up and too old is a good deal huh?

Quote:
Jedi were required to learn that, although they were able to use the Force, they were no better than those who could not.

Qui-Gon to Boss Nass using force persuade: We could use a transport.
Boss Nass : We sa give yousa bongo.

Qui-Gon to Wado using force persuade: Credits will do fine.
Wado : No they wont
Qui-Gon to Wado appearing annoyed agian trying to use force persuade: Credits will do fine.
Wado: NO THEY WON'T.
It's a tool, doesn't make them better. The fact they needed a way out of those situations supersedes personal gain.

Quote:
Honor Your Padawan:

A Jedi Master was required to know that they must treat their Padawan with respect. They should never reprimand his Padawan in public

Obi-Wan to Anikin in front of Padame and her Securty: You will learn your place young one.
What about not calling out your master? Takes precedence.

Quote:
A Jedi will not kill an unarmed opponent.

Mace Windu to Anikin with unarmed Palpatin on the ground : He is too dangous to be left alive.

Palpi: I'm too weak

Anikin : You can't it's not the Jedi way.

Mace raises sword

Palpi: Please Don't

Anikin:I need him.

Mace starts to bring sword down

Papli: Please don't

Anikin: NOOO !!
Anikin cuts off Maces hand.
Necessity overcomes it? If he was put on trial he'd come out clean, Jedi were spread thin throughout the galaxy and if not for Vader he'd be gone for a long while until the clone business happened.

CptBrit
02.23.2012 , 06:37 AM | #27
Hmmm the fact that they don't seem to give a f*** about pupils feelings.

Anakin is strong in the force but he misses his mother, I'm sure someone could have made it so his mother was safe - even if he wasn't allowed to live with her - might have made him feel better than "Yea Anakin your really powerful but forget your mother we can't be bothered to do a favour for our strongest ever pupil, even though we could" it would have gone along way to know that his mother was safe on Alderaan or Coruscant.

Or

When he mentioned about the nightmares considering that he was right the last time he had them, why didn't someone do a dark-force check? or something. Also why were the Jedi all scattered around the Galaxy as they were? Really the Temple on Coruscant has a few Masters and Younglings - oh wait I can't forget the one Teenage Jedi that kicks the s*** outta the clones outside the Temple before dying - in the middle of a major war? I'd be expecting a response something like the Sith intro for SWTOR in the Main Jedi Temple in the Galaxy.

Or

Anakin... Anakin, Anakin, Anakin... Mace Windu, one of the guys you seem to be trying so hard to gain the trust of tells you he'll trust you if what you say is right. Yea Palpatine said he could - in not as many words but still - save Padme. Personally i'd be wondering how this old fart knows what i'm dreaming. But yea he then grasses on Palpatine to Mace Windu who in true Samuel L. Jackson style owns face, but then changes his mind and goes there and ends up saving then submitting to a Dark Lord of the Sith... W-T-F. Anakin basically goes from been Good (But still been prone to anger) in the Second film, to I'm going to Kill Kids and strangle my beloved wife with the force, then try to kill the only person who's trusted me fully. Nice Writing there George! Give yourself a pat on the back. It would have been more realistic if Anakin had said "Listen Palp, I know she was alive when I left her, Yea I may have left the planet with only 55% of my body mass but I ain't no fool" Before Force B****slapping Palpatine and having a tantrum.

Lastly this ain't about Jedi but a pet peave of mine with the Prequels (Which believe it or not I enjoyed lol) where the hell was the Republic Army before the clones? No Organisation would get as powerful as the Republic without some form of Military. The only non Clone forces we see are the Organa forces onboard the Senators ship.
Sa'rahi Sheph'erd - The Mercenary | Marxon Sheph'erd - The Guardian
Tae'Ruk Sheph'erd - The Juggernaut | Mysha Sheph'erd - The Sage
Leona Sheph'erd - The Assassin | Temo'rel Sheph'erd - The Vanguard
Mykael Sheph'erd - The Operative | Lel'Liana Sheph'erd - The Gunslinger

Janeos
02.23.2012 , 09:23 AM | #28
ooo... too much hate...

The thing I hated about the Jedi was they keep on leaving their cloaks all over the galaxy... Maybe they have a Jedi taylor who mass producess these...

Yeren
02.23.2012 , 09:49 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Bionixx View Post
They don't use the force enough. Why not use Force Speed? Why not hurl debris while you are fighting with the lightsaber instead of separately like in Ep2 and Ep5? I'm sorry but with the exception of the Obi/Anakin duel in Ep3, the Jedi/Sith battles in the SWTOR trailers were more exciting then the real fights in the movies.
That's a matter of honorable combat. Sith use the other items as a diversion ... never really for damage. Jedi go mano y mano. Also the Jedi don't use the force as a crutch. This is actually elaborated on in the EU.
"You can only punch a rancor's nose so many times before you realize there's got to be a better way" -- Han Solo

Yeren
02.23.2012 , 10:23 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by CptBrit View Post
Hmmm the fact that they don't seem to give a f*** about pupils feelings.

Anakin is strong in the force but he misses his mother, I'm sure someone could have made it so his mother was safe - even if he wasn't allowed to live with her - might have made him feel better than "Yea Anakin your really powerful but forget your mother we can't be bothered to do a favour for our strongest ever pupil, even though we could" it would have gone along way to know that his mother was safe on Alderaan or Coruscant.
Problem here is they did in fact try to take Shmi with them. At the time Watto was still 'bustling' and wasn't willing to give up both Shmi and Anakin. The Republic had no 'jurisdiction' on Tattoine and thus had really no say in the slave market. Shmi let him go for a better life. Anakin was older than they would have normally taken him to the academy .... he had already built attachments. Qui-Gon defied the council and was going to train Anakin anyways.

Quote:
Or

When he mentioned about the nightmares considering that he was right the last time he had them, why didn't someone do a dark-force check? or something. Also why were the Jedi all scattered around the Galaxy as they were? Really the Temple on Coruscant has a few Masters and Younglings - oh wait I can't forget the one Teenage Jedi that kicks the s*** outta the clones outside the Temple before dying - in the middle of a major war? I'd be expecting a response something like the Sith intro for SWTOR in the Main Jedi Temple in the Galaxy.
Dark Force check .... well they didn't sense it before. It was shrouded. Nothing saying they didn't try. Jedi scattered around the Galaxy .... because there was already a war going on. The separatists were trying to invade other areas as part of Palpatine's master plan. The one Teen on the balcony .... there was an invasion similar to your SWTOR except it wasn't Sith (as there were only 2). The teen essentially escaped the original rush and was trying to escape.

Quote:
Or

Anakin... Anakin, Anakin, Anakin... Mace Windu, one of the guys you seem to be trying so hard to gain the trust of tells you he'll trust you if what you say is right. Yea Palpatine said he could - in not as many words but still - save Padme. Personally i'd be wondering how this old fart knows what i'm dreaming. But yea he then grasses on Palpatine to Mace Windu who in true Samuel L. Jackson style owns face, but then changes his mind and goes there and ends up saving then submitting to a Dark Lord of the Sith... W-T-F. Anakin basically goes from been Good (But still been prone to anger) in the Second film, to I'm going to Kill Kids and strangle my beloved wife with the force, then try to kill the only person who's trusted me fully. Nice Writing there George! Give yourself a pat on the back. It would have been more realistic if Anakin had said "Listen Palp, I know she was alive when I left her, Yea I may have left the planet with only 55% of my body mass but I ain't no fool" Before Force B****slapping Palpatine and having a tantrum.

Lastly this ain't about Jedi but a pet peave of mine with the Prequels (Which believe it or not I enjoyed lol) where the hell was the Republic Army before the clones? No Organisation would get as powerful as the Republic without some form of Military. The only non Clone forces we see are the Organa forces onboard the Senators ship.
I feel you missed the entire essence of Anakin's attachment to Palpatine. This is over the course of years. His dedication to Padme and Palpatine's promise. In order to teach him he had to complete a few tasks first. He strangles Padme in a fit of rage after feeling betrayed by her. And the person that he trusted fully became an obstacle to find a way to save Padme.

In general it was supposed to be a time of relative peace in the Galaxy during the time frame. Each system has its own semblance of an army, but nothing that could meet up with the demands of non human computer controlled robots.

I truly feel that reading some of the EU books (and even the book for the movie before the movie was released) helps give just a little more internal struggles that characters have to face. Additionally there were serveral books between movies 2 and 3, but Labyrinth of Evil leads RIGHT into Episode III
"You can only punch a rancor's nose so many times before you realize there's got to be a better way" -- Han Solo