Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What I hate about the Jedi's in the Movies...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
What I hate about the Jedi's in the Movies...

jarjarloves
02.22.2012 , 06:58 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Bionixx View Post
They don't use the force enough. Why not use Force Speed? Why not hurl debris while you are fighting with the lightsaber instead of separately like in Ep2 and Ep5? I'm sorry but with the exception of the Obi/Anakin duel in Ep3, the Jedi/Sith battles in the SWTOR trailers were more exciting then the real fights in the movies.
that goes with out question the fights in SWTOR trailer are amazing

Toonimator
02.22.2012 , 07:44 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
i was annoyed in the Prequels how they could just wave their light saber around and deflect anything. That and the wearing of the robes.

In the Original Triology Obi Wan is wearing the same robes as Uncle Owen. So that means either while hiding from the Empire Obi Wan still wears Jedi Robes and so does Uncle Owen OR Obi Wan is just wearing the robes that normal people wear.

Somewhere along the way they got called Jedi Robes and EVERY Jedi wears them. It should be more like this game where the Jedis actually wear armor.
I think sometime prior to '97, George looked at the end of ROTJ again and went "Wait, so, Sebastian Shaw's wearing Obi-Wan's clothes. And Yoda's wearing tattered robes similar to Obi-Wan's. I forget what we had everyone else on Tatooine wearing in the first film, but they couldn't possibly look like these guys, right? Ben & Yoda weren't in hermit robes, they were wearing their uniforms! Perfect for Jedi-in-hiding! Anakin couldn't possibly be wearing the same clothes as Obi-Wan because he felt a renewed kinship with his old friend in the afterlife and there were really no alternatives in the wardrobe budget, could it?"

Luke's outfit in ROTJ was dubbed "a Jedi Knight's uniform" during production. To an extent, it IS somewhat like what many Jedi wear in the PT, except they have the whole big shirt with giant sleeves, not just a vest over a long-sleeved shirt (or onepiece suit, I forget which it actually is in ROTJ). PT Jedi clothes tend to be more billowy, and with a lot more layers up top. Luke's outfit, in many different colors and cuts, would've made a nice Jedi look that's more functional. Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon's boring beige outfits lessened my excitement for Episode I considerably. All the earth-toned robes got pretty dull, even though there were a variety of looks for them in the Jedi Council. Ki-Adi's was probably the most interesting one, but it still had the dull colors. Thankfully EU wasn't so restrictive in the color schemes (I loved getting blue robes in the first KOTOR) or attire in general (most of Luke's order, outside formal occasions)

Toonimator
02.22.2012 , 07:52 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Bionixx View Post
They don't use the force enough. Why not use Force Speed? Why not hurl debris while you are fighting with the lightsaber instead of separately like in Ep2 and Ep5? I'm sorry but with the exception of the Obi/Anakin duel in Ep3, the Jedi/Sith battles in the SWTOR trailers were more exciting then the real fights in the movies.
Force Speed was barely shown in Ep1, and conveniently forgotten by Obi-Wan late in the same film to ensure Qui-Gon had a one-on-one with Maul. If Obi-Wan had just pretended there were droidekas behind him, he may have made it through the shields in time to aid Qui-Gon. I wanted to see more Force powers, too... I always wished Maul would've done some flashy move to knock the Jedi back, then spun and zapped them with lightning.

What I hate about the Jedi in the movies is they're so strict. I know that's what led to their downfall, being so blinded by their rules & rituals, particularly their views on emotions and attachments. Yoda's excuse of Luke's age in Ep5 was obviously a stalling tactic, but then we discover that even being 9 is "too old" in Ep1! We also took for granted that the Force could run strong in families, until we were told Jedi aren't supposed to have families. Even TOR is pushing that on us with most Jedi flirtations & romance netting us Dark Side points, though it's only a few centuries after Jolee Bindo proved to us that love & marriage among Jedi isn't always a bad thing.

JDTC
02.22.2012 , 07:59 PM | #14
is that they say "we cant fight a war for you"

and then they fight a war for you

is that they say "were keepers of the peace not soldiers"

and then conduct wars all alone with the help of one actual soldier who is controlled genetically by them anyway.

*** guys?
i support powertech

Wolfninjajedi
02.22.2012 , 08:02 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
Force Speed was barely shown in Ep1, and conveniently forgotten by Obi-Wan late in the same film to ensure Qui-Gon had a one-on-one with Maul. If Obi-Wan had just pretended there were droidekas behind him, he may have made it through the shields in time to aid Qui-Gon. I wanted to see more Force powers, too... I always wished Maul would've done some flashy move to knock the Jedi back, then spun and zapped them with lightning.

What I hate about the Jedi in the movies is they're so strict. I know that's what led to their downfall, being so blinded by their rules & rituals, particularly their views on emotions and attachments. Yoda's excuse of Luke's age in Ep5 was obviously a stalling tactic, but then we discover that even being 9 is "too old" in Ep1! We also took for granted that the Force could run strong in families, until we were told Jedi aren't supposed to have families. Even TOR is pushing that on us with most Jedi flirtations & romance netting us Dark Side points, though it's only a few centuries after Jolee Bindo proved to us that love & marriage among Jedi isn't always a bad thing.
Who said Obi-Wan didn't use Force Speed?...All we see of Obi-Wan is him jumping up, and just starting to run before it flips to Qui-Gon and Maul and then when the fields come up we see Obi-Wan come skidding to a halt almost running right into the field. I mean...I guess I can give you the 2nd time, but the problem with that is the force field hall seems to roughly be about the same as with Obi-Wan and Jinn with the droidekas and the fields seem to come up every few seconds. Not to mention that there was a pit which if Obi-Wan used force speed he might have not been able to stop in time to stop himself from falling in.

Anyway the only thing for me that does kinda annoy me, is that some jedi were not really shown that much outside of the main jedi(Yoda, Mace, Obi, Anakin etc) well a few, but only for a few seconds.

Quote:
is that they say "we cant fight a war for you"

and then they fight a war for you

is that they say "were keepers of the peace not soldiers"

and then conduct wars all alone with the help of one actual soldier who is controlled genetically by them anyway.

*** guys?
Actually no they didn't, only Qui-gon said that he said.

"I can only protect you, I can't fight a war for you."

Meaning HE can't fight a war.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

JDTC
02.22.2012 , 08:35 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Actually no they didn't, only Qui-gon said that he said.

"I can only protect you, I can't fight a war for you."

Meaning HE can't fight a war.
do you think he meant that he, personally, one man with but a single beard, could not fight an entire war against one million robots? i think he meant it a little more abstractly. obviously a single man cant fight a war.
i support powertech

Wolfninjajedi
02.22.2012 , 08:38 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by JDTC View Post
do you think he meant that he, personally, one man with but a single beard, could not fight an entire war against one million robots? i think he meant it a little more abstractly. obviously a single man cant fight a war.
Well its what he said, guess he was trying to say that the jedi weren't one man armies.

savagepat
02.22.2012 , 08:54 PM | #18
They're a special kind of dumb... At least the council is. They're so concerned with dodging prophecy they usually wind up causing it.
"What's the upside for me?"

jarjarloves
02.22.2012 , 08:59 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by savagepat View Post
They're a special kind of dumb... At least the council is. They're so concerned with dodging prophecy they usually wind up causing it.
that's more of a cliche in Fantasy. Any time they have a prophecy everyone tries to avoid it but ends up fulfilling it in the end.

Wolfninjajedi
02.22.2012 , 09:05 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
that's more of a cliche in Fantasy. Any time they have a prophecy everyone tries to avoid it but ends up fulfilling it in the end.
Like horror movies, those are especially cliche.

"Oh..the car broke down in the middle of nowhere."

or

"My phone which just a few minutes ago was working, suddenly has no signal."

or my favorite(which also annoys the hell outta me.)

"Hey the police showed up!" *Seconds later the police officer is killed*