Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I know that you guys probably despise this question, but....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
I know that you guys probably despise this question, but....

Colyer
02.20.2012 , 12:36 AM | #11
Biochem. Reusable Med Packs and Stims are great, and I personally am not such a fan of Artifice. But you're really not much worse off no matter what you choose.

Dukibritches
02.20.2012 , 05:43 PM | #12
Assassins have some of the highest avoidance as tank spec. I think my Sin has about 25.xx% chance to dodge/deflect an attack. They shield about as much as a Powertech, but powertech has less pure avoidance, my shield chance is something like 49% with 41% absorb. Assassins have lower flat damage mitigation from armor than the other 2 tanks, something along the lines of roughly 40% mitigation for Assassins where the other tanks have roughly 50%.

Those are the prime differences in terms of tanking stats.

From here I'll just talk about assassin playstyle/abilities because thats what I know. (Havent played tank as the other classes)

The assassin has passive self heals via Dark Charge, they are a set number with an internal CD and do not scale from gear. (I'm hoping the scaling changes, but only time will tell) At lvl 50 its like 450 health on a 4.5sec CD. There is another ability that will temporarily lower the ICD on this passive healing.

We have active healing from Force Lightning with 3 stacks of Harnessed Darkness. Harnessed Darkness is a stacking buff that proc's from using other tanking abilities. Once you have 3 stacks you can use Force Lightning(3 sec Channel) and you will receive 3 or 4 ticks of healing as you do damage, each tick heals for 3 or 4% health. (I dont remember the exact numbers but it is definitely 3 or 4%)

We do great single target damage and usually have no single target threat issues. Our AOE threat is somewhere in the middle. Worse than Powertech, but better than Juggernauts.

We have some pretty decent tanking utility spells: Force Pull (like Death Grip, Powertechs also have this), Force Speed (like rogue sprint only shorter duration, this is exclusive to the inquisitor/sage class), Mind Trap (exactly like rogue sap) Force Shroud (basically like rogue cloak of shadows)

I could go on and on but I'll stop here. If you are looking to compare SWTOR Tanks to WOW tanks then you will probably find that Assassin plays closest to a hybrid of Death Knight (because of avoidance and self heals) and Pre Cataclysm Paladins (because of our Dark Ward spell which helps to shield attacks but has a short duration/ # of charges and needs to be reapplied frequently, very similar to paladin Holy Shield)

Oh and on the topic of Biochem Vs Artificing: The only benefit I have found for artificing at end game is you can craft top tier relic for yourself. Biochem will give you reusable Stims(Flasks) and reusable Adrenals(Armor/Dmg Potions) Personally I think Biochem is the choice hands down.

If you have other questions, just ask. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Sinemetu
02.20.2012 , 06:22 PM | #13
Some great things about the assassin/shadow:

1. Self healing. Harnessed Darkness, or whatever the shadow version is, will heal you for 12% of your health and deal a lot of damage. That's in addition to the passive healing on attacks--I frequently get at least 20k healing done in WZ's (I'm not 50 yet).

2. Stealth. As a tie-in, you get your own cc, unlike the other tanks. When pugging, I think being able to apply cc on your own is a large advantage. Plus, you can vanish if for some reason you're the last one standing and you want to avoid a repair bill.

3. Damage. From what I've seen, we do a lot better single-target damage than the other tanks.

4. PvP. The tanking spec is uber in PvP.

Not-so-great:

1. Aoe tanking. Aggro is hard to hold until you get Wither (31-point talent). We're always weak multitanking because of our self-buff to shield chance. It has 8 charges and a 15s cooldown, which works great against two enemies but poorly against more.

2. Armor. Until level 30ish, you'll have equivalent to medium armor. After you pick up the +20% armor talent, you'll be slightly below heavy.
Legion: Geth do not infiltrate.
C-Sec Customs: You should leave your personal synthetic assistant at home. They're not allowed on shuttles anymore.
Legion: Geth do not intentionally infiltrate.

Battilea
02.20.2012 , 07:27 PM | #14
As a Blood DK tank during the WotLK era of WoW, before the buffs, after the buffs, and after the nerfs, I find my Assassin to be the most similar.

And for crafting, at 50, biochem is great, for the additional cooldown (the 1725 armor for 15s adrenal), always having a stim (end/def or willpower/power), and the reusable heal.

Rafkin
02.20.2012 , 09:19 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Penchante View Post
Do assassins also use avoidance as a main source of mitigation?
Well that would be assassins, however, people on these forums are very loose with the definition of "avoidance". Assassins have a buff that gives them a very high chance to block an attack with their shield. But a shield in SWTOR only mitigates around 40% of the damage.

I come from EQ where avoidance means completley dodging an attack for zero damage.

In SWTOR a succesful defense check mitigates 100% of damage and blocking with a shield absorbs between 30-40% depending on your absorb rating. (It can go higher but i don't see many people over 40%)

I don't believe any of the tanks have a significant advantage in the defense stat.

Penchante
02.20.2012 , 11:28 PM | #16
Wow, thanks so much for the input everyone. Special thank you to Dukibritches who is amazingly informative. It is really hard to find people who will make the comparison, even loosely, to WoW without flaming hard about it.

Now, I'm off to start leveling my Tankassin.

Dukibritches
02.21.2012 , 01:47 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafkin View Post
Well that would be assassins, however, people on these forums are very loose with the definition of "avoidance". Assassins have a buff that gives them a very high chance to block an attack with their shield. But a shield in SWTOR only mitigates around 40% of the damage.

I come from EQ where avoidance means completley dodging an attack for zero damage.

In SWTOR a succesful defense check mitigates 100% of damage and blocking with a shield absorbs between 30-40% depending on your absorb rating. (It can go higher but i don't see many people over 40%)

I don't believe any of the tanks have a significant advantage in the defense stat.
In terms of pure avoidance, as I said in a post earlier assassins have a decent amount. I have 25.xx% chance to dodge/deflect attacks on my assassin. I think Powertechs have much less, something like 12 or 13% but they have higher mitigation from armor and I believe a little bit more absorb.

I dont really have any data on Juggernauts because I dont have one myself and I dont have any I raid with either.

Rafkin
02.21.2012 , 06:47 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Dukibritches View Post
In terms of pure avoidance, as I said in a post earlier assassins have a decent amount. I have 25.xx% chance to dodge/deflect attacks on my assassin. I think Powertechs have much less, something like 12 or 13% but they have higher mitigation from armor and I believe a little bit more absorb.

I dont really have any data on Juggernauts because I dont have one myself and I dont have any I raid with either.
My jugg in columni is also 25/26% defense. I never understood why so many people say assassin are the avoidance tank.

Dukibritches
02.21.2012 , 07:18 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafkin View Post
My jugg in columni is also 25/26% defense. I never understood why so many people say assassin are the avoidance tank.
I would assume its because the combination of Defense and high shield/Absorb would mean they avoid the most damage of all the tank classes. Doesnt mean we are better tanks, just means that we can avoid more damage. Obviously this is offset by the fact that when we do take a hit it lands for more damage than on a Juggernaut or Powertech.

I really think that tanks are pretty well balanced in the game right now. I dont think any tank has an overall advantage over other tank classes. Situationally one might do better than another, but I personally wouldnt leave one class behind because the other is better for an encounter.

Lord_Galadrind
02.21.2012 , 11:48 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Dukibritches View Post
I would assume its because the combination of Defense and high shield/Absorb would mean they avoid the most damage of all the tank classes.
Except that shielding is not avoidance!