Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I know that you guys probably despise this question, but....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
I know that you guys probably despise this question, but....

02.19.2012 , 10:19 AM | #1
Which of the tanking classes feels more like a Death Knight from WoW?

Obviously I'm not talking about the lore or story, but the mechanics. I enjoyed that becoming a great tank on the DK took a bit more finesse than the sta/block stackers that were the Pallies and Warriors. As an aside, I also enjoyed tanking on my fuzzy butt bear quite a bit.

Bonus question: Which tank class ends up with the biggest, most ****** armor in the game?

edit: the censored word rhymes with madhass

02.19.2012 , 10:32 AM | #2
I didn't play WoW so can't help you there. I'd suggest reading the stickys in the class forums for detailed info on each tank.

Basic rundown: Juggs can take a lot of damage. Powertechs have great aoe aggro/ dmg. Assassins get a very high chance to shield an attack for reduced damage and they probably do the most dps of the tanks.

They can all get the job done and none or especially gimped...regardless of what you read on the forums.

Looks don't matter so much because "soon" you will be able to get the set bonuses with whatever orange gear you want. Until then..juggs looks like cyborgs, powertechs look like Fett, assassins are in robes and have some cool helmet options.

02.19.2012 , 10:47 AM | #3
Ah, well, the DK would forgo a shield in favor of a larger two handed weapon. The tanking was based half on avoidance, and half on their shield mechanic. They had a self heal ability that activated a shield, and the trick was to have the shield up constantly, with the avoidance hopefully stepping in to handle any errant unshielded hits.

02.19.2012 , 11:43 AM | #4
Hmm, after reading up a bit this morning, I found more than once that people say the BH/Vanguard is more like a DK, just without self heals, and that being the Alchemist prof (sorry I don't know it's name) covers that just fine. Is there any truth to that statement?

p.s.: Would Kitru be averse to commenting in here? She seems rather knowledgeable on the status of tanks.

02.19.2012 , 12:55 PM | #5
It's not Guardian/Juggernaut, they work very similarly to a warrior from early WoW. Rage mechanic, charge, stacking sunders, etc. They're quite tough but I hear they have some AoE threat issues.

Vanguard and Powertech have great AoE threat and more long range options than the other two, though they still want to be in melee range. They have a bit more mitigation (correct me if I'm wrong) but less self healing and avoidance than assassins. They also get a death grip (harpoon/grapple) and a charge (storm/jet charge).

Assassins/Shadows have the most self healing if that's what you're looking for when you say Death Knight. They passively heal a bit when their tanking stance procs damage and have a talent that makes force lightning heal them via a stacking buff from shock and wither. They have a mix of melee and 10 meter range abilities and I've heard they have the best single target DPS of the tanks, not sure though. Assassins get a death grip (force pull), and a very short cooldown sprint (force speed).

02.19.2012 , 01:23 PM | #6
Do assassins also use avoidance as a main source of mitigation?

02.19.2012 , 01:33 PM | #7
Speaking from my experience on my shadow, tanking with a shadow/assassin is a little bit more of a gamble than the others. There have been times where I've practically solo tanked bosses in flashpoints, and then there are times where I've been smashed by an overly large group of standard mobs (in both instances the healer had bugged/died). The glory moments come a lot more often than the /facepalm moments, but it is something I've run into that you might consider.

02.19.2012 , 01:34 PM | #8
As far as I know there's a slight difference, something like Assassins having 5% more avoidance and 5% less mitigation. I don't know the exact numbers.

Assassins also have more trouble keeping Dark Ward up against multiple targets than a single powerful one. It's a 15% shield chance buff with 8 charges that uses a charge every time they shield. Large groups can beat through the charges before the cooldown finishes, but against a boss you can usually keep it up constantly.

Edit: They aren't avoidance tanks in the sense that they lack all mitigation, their tank stance buffs their armor fairly close to heavy. They're just a bit behind the other two in armor at the moment, but still quite workable.

02.19.2012 , 05:08 PM | #9
I played a Frost tank through Wrath, and I find myself pretty comfortable as a Shadow. I`ve also played Guardian, but not Vanguard enough to comment on that.

As a Shadow, the play essentially comes down to watching for Particle Acceleration procs and using your Harnessed Shadow stacks. Force (Essentially WoW Rogue`s Energy) is much more straight forward than Runes, and I find myself rarely low when I need it as long as I`m paying attention.

I fully recommend them. My only gripe being that the story kind of sucks, but if you go Assassin that solves that. Hope I helped.

02.20.2012 , 12:28 AM | #10
Final question and then I'll leave this thread be:

Would I be better suited with Biochem or Artifice as a Darkness tank?