Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Last boss of FE = worst design I've ever seen


hulkweazel's Avatar


hulkweazel
02.19.2012 , 01:37 AM | #1
So we fought him on HM, and the first 90% of the fight isn't even a challenge. I'm decently geared but nothing amazing, but he could barely touch me the entire time. Last 10% is ridiculously stupid though as it takes precise positioning and timing, and if you mess up, you now have to sit through another borefest of a fight to get back to that point. Not to mention the worst part of it all, if you fall off the ledge, no credit for the quest. Which is a real pain for tanks because the only way we could get to the point where we could knock him off was if I ran near the edge and risked getting pushed over, which was exactly what happened to me.

Seriously, change this fight. this is terrible design.

Erudash's Avatar


Erudash
02.19.2012 , 01:38 AM | #2
really? its that hard to knock him off a ledge? lol
Who brings a gun to a lightsaber fight?

Karkais's Avatar


Karkais
02.19.2012 , 01:49 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by hulkweazel View Post
Not to mention the worst part of it all, if you fall off the ledge, no credit for the quest. Which is a real pain for tanks because the only way we could get to the point where we could knock him off was if I ran near the edge and risked getting pushed over, which was exactly what happened to me.
This is a valid complaint. I have sent a number of tickets about it (doesn't need to be tank but it most often happens to a tank) I think you should too. The same can happen in any other FP too, if you die in the final fight, rez at medbot, and your mates finish the fight in your absence. Now you cant get in anymore to get loot you deserve. Stupid design.

Other than that, I think FE final fight is ok. (avoiding spoilers here) Its 100% about mechanics and not about surviving damage or beating enrage timer. Indeed, this is the kind of fight that people who complain about enragetimers would want every bossfight to be. I like enragetimers (my main character is DPS. )
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

hulkweazel's Avatar


hulkweazel
02.19.2012 , 03:02 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
This is a valid complaint. I have sent a number of tickets about it (doesn't need to be tank but it most often happens to a tank) I think you should too. The same can happen in any other FP too, if you die in the final fight, rez at medbot, and your mates finish the fight in your absence. Now you cant get in anymore to get loot you deserve. Stupid design.

Other than that, I think FE final fight is ok. (avoiding spoilers here) Its 100% about mechanics and not about surviving damage or beating enrage timer. Indeed, this is the kind of fight that people who complain about enragetimers would want every bossfight to be. I like enragetimers (my main character is DPS. )
I opened up a ticket, but I have about five tickets opened without anything but an automated response so I don't expect anything to come out of this.

The ONLY way we could get him knocked off is if I ran close to the edge and taunted, which is just ridiculous considering he has knockbacks. One of the players I was grouped with said he got knocked off twice without credit (He was healer).

Clearly, there is a problem with this encounter. As for it being about mechanics, there really isn't much to know about the fight. 90% of the fight is just tank and spank, it's just the last 10% that is stupidly annoying.

livnthedream's Avatar


livnthedream
02.19.2012 , 03:36 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by hulkweazel View Post
I opened up a ticket, but I have about five tickets opened without anything but an automated response so I don't expect anything to come out of this.

The ONLY way we could get him knocked off is if I ran close to the edge and taunted, which is just ridiculous considering he has knockbacks. One of the players I was grouped with said he got knocked off twice without credit (He was healer).

Clearly, there is a problem with this encounter. As for it being about mechanics, there really isn't much to know about the fight. 90% of the fight is just tank and spank, it's just the last 10% that is stupidly annoying.
have you noticed the boxes right before the final fight? also, you dont have to risk being knocked off at all. tank him on the stairs, punt him after he starts channels. its not hard.

Umeko's Avatar


Umeko
02.19.2012 , 03:57 AM | #6
Before teh main door to him make sure you grab those grenades before you go and fight and hot bar them. beat him down the steps then start moving him to the ledge. once he is close enough you blast him with grenades.

getting blasted over the edge happened to our tank. Was not a happy camper.

schnopsnosn's Avatar


schnopsnosn
02.19.2012 , 04:04 AM | #7
DPS him on the stairs until he's immune and starts casting his lightning.
Run back out of the room and LoS him, he will come after you, when he's on the bridge just run back, he'll stop and you can knock him off with grenades...

Karasuko's Avatar


Karasuko
02.19.2012 , 04:17 AM | #8
"we're sick of unfair enrage timers"=Players
"ok, lets put in a mechanic thats fun and requires modicum of brainpower"=Bioware
"we actually have to think about the mechanic? this is BS"=players
"we give up"= Bioware.

Why not just ask for a long hallway with 4-5 chests and call it an instance?

schnopsnosn's Avatar


schnopsnosn
02.19.2012 , 04:24 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Karasuko View Post
"we're sick of unfair enrage timers"=Players
"ok, lets put in a mechanic thats fun and requires modicum of brainpower"=Bioware
"we actually have to think about the mechanic? this is BS"=players
"we give up"= Bioware.

Why not just ask for a long hallway with 4-5 chests and call it an instance?
"Why do I have to click on 4/5 chests?"=Players
"Ok 1 chest with loot from 4/5 chests"=Bioware
"NOT ENOUGH CHESTS!"=Players

Battilea's Avatar


Battilea
02.19.2012 , 04:25 AM | #10
Quote:
Why not just ask for a long hallway with 4-5 chests and call it an instance?
No thanks, bored of Black Talon already

Anyway, for the OP's post, I do agree with a couple of things.

His damage is a joke. If not for his enrage timer, my Assassin could solo him. My health doesn't drop when it is just him versus me. When playing my operative, I pretty much just use my AoE heal to heal the entire party, other than tossing out some HoT probes from time to time. Most of the fight, I'm just DPS'ing.

And getting knocked out of the instance on falling death needs to be fixed. Personally, I feel that getting zoned out when you die is stupid and needs to go. Load times aren't the same for everyone and it isn't like it stops people from rejoining the fight post death. When you die, you should come back inside the place. And if just feeding bodies into the grinder is an issue, then slap a force field in place to stop people who release from rejoining the fight.

But barring changing the stupidity of zoning people out on death, people who fall to their death should stay in the instance until they release, and in a way that insures they can get loot.

But if he's the worst design the OP has ever seen, he hasn't seen much design