Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How did the Sith get defeated after the Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
How did the Sith get defeated after the Old Republic?

ZettaZonvolt
02.20.2012 , 11:03 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by ZettaZonvolt View Post
Galactic Republic (the one that appears after TOR).
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Republic

Our Sith Empire.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_...Hyperspace_War)

Compare the symbols.

Now look at the symbol for the current Republic in TOR.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...TORkit.svg.png

It doesn't take a genius to see that the Sith Empire is probably not gonna be beaten.
Also, in 22 BBY, Palpatine said:

"I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand years be split in two."

TOR happens at around 3600 BBY.

The Republic in the movies is not the same as the one in TOR. There is no guarentee the Sith Empire get beaten.
Alright! Back to Sith business, grrr!

CatoFel
02.20.2012 , 11:16 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by ZettaZonvolt View Post
Also, in 22 BBY, Palpatine said:

"I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand years be split in two."

TOR happens at around 3600 BBY.

The Republic in the movies is not the same as the one in TOR. There is no guarentee the Sith Empire get beaten.
Interesting theory. Problematic in ways, but the idea that parts of the Sith Empire eventiually merge with the Republic without being beaten outright seems plausible.

Anyhow, the "thousand years" reference is generally taken to mean the Republic since the Ruusan Reformation, which involved a transferral of power from the Chancellor to the Senate. I suppose if the Imperials DID come to dominate the Republic after the Cold War, they might have restructured things to make the Chancellor a sort of Emperor. So it could fit with your theory.
Harbingers of the Sith'ari
The Ebon Hawk
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself."--John Adams

RoadtoArkham
02.20.2012 , 11:19 AM | #23
After a unknown interim period, Lord Kaan forms the Brotherhood of Darkness, a Sith Order. They have Korriban and eschew the title of 'Darth".

They were at war with the Republic...

Then a man named Darth Bane comes along...
Hail to the King, baby.

Commanche
02.20.2012 , 11:35 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Tell that to Darth Sidious, he played the Republic, the CIS and the Jedi Order all at the sametime and made a mockery of them all and then built the most efficient Galactic civilization ever.
That's the same Darth Sidious who then went on to create the resistance as a failed ploy to get rid of any opposed to his rule in a single play and decided to turn his back on Vader as he tortured his son, right?

This efficient civilisation was the one that was involved in killing and enslaving untold numbers of people.

He got lucky because the Jedi were arrogant. Yoda and Obi-Wan learnt humility when they realised how successfully they were outplayed by Sidious.

The Sith are a self-centered organisation and splinter into different factions at regular intervals (at the first sign of the emperor's madness the council revolts, gets wiped out and reformed, after a pretty successful war peace is made at which point they resort to infighting which never entirely ceases when the war restarts, the emperor gets "killed" [not sure how permanent that is yet!] and someone else declares himself the ruler of a breakaway faction).

The real question is whether the war ends in the apparent destruction of the Sith or if the empire splits into two factions (SW&BH vs SI&IA) in an upcoming patch and we get a 3 way war with all sides having an equal number of players!
People wed their ideas more faithfully than their spouses. I'm a true believer in the redemptive powers of divorce.

hominem per se est stultus

Arkerus
02.20.2012 , 11:43 AM | #25
Its kind of obvious.

After many years of fighting the Galatic Republic absorbs the Imperial Empire into their ranks. The Sith are marginalized and either removed from the empire or they just disappear into obscurity for a while (rule of two, etc).

That's why by the time of the modern prequels, the Republic has all of the sith/empire technology, shipyards, tie fighters, etc.

Then they become the Galactic Empire (infiltrated by the Sith, explained by the prequels, as bad as they are) and the rebel worlds break off and form the rebellion.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

YoshiRaphElan
02.20.2012 , 12:28 PM | #26
Anyone who says that the Sith Empire will win this war based on Palpatine's "thousand years" line has never read the Darth Bane novels. The reason he said that is because of a little thing called the Ruusan Reformation. Basically what happened was, after Jedi Master Hoth and 100 other Jedi sacrificed themself to defeat the Sith once and for all. when the Jedi died, Darth Bane escaped and took his own apprentice, creating the Rule of Two that we see on the movies. The Republic Chancellor, meanwhile, ordered the Jedi to disband their Army of Light, and they agreed. The Chancellor made the Ruusan Reformation, which basically remade the Republic. It transformed from "The Old Republic" into "The Galactic Republic." Hence why Palpatine says "a thousand years." The Republic itself stood for longer than 1000 years, but the current government seen at Palpatine's time had stood for a thousand years. So the Sith Empire will likely be defeated in this game, IMO.

SveinEternity
02.20.2012 , 12:49 PM | #27
So let me get this straight.....

We dont know what happens to the Empire but we can guess they win against the Republic ,however they merge into Republic society. But, what happens to the Emperor?
The Eternity Legacy

LordMaximum
02.20.2012 , 12:54 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by J-Sheridan View Post
Sith are stupid. Simple as that really.

How to make the Empire last forever:

Step One: Remove the Sith
Step Two: Put the Imperials in charge
Step Three: Change 'Empire' to: Galactic Republic
Step Four: Preach peace and galactic unity

The creation of Empires does not need magical people that hurl lightning to work and the Sith / Jedi often screw things up for both sides with their eternal religious warfare.
i know i jumped into the conv early, but i disagree about the empire and the sith
Dark Councilor, Sorcerer of the Dark Side.
Through strength I gain my power.

-Dark Councilor Nox-

LordMaximum
02.20.2012 , 12:56 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by RoadtoArkham View Post
After a unknown interim period, Lord Khan forms the Brotherhood of Darkness, a Sith Order. They have Korriban and eschew the title of 'Darth".

They were at war with the Republic...

Then a man named Darth Bane comes along...
and (no offense) it's Lord Kaan not Khan
Dark Councilor, Sorcerer of the Dark Side.
Through strength I gain my power.

-Dark Councilor Nox-

RoadtoArkham
02.20.2012 , 12:57 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by LordMaximum View Post
and (no offense) it's Lord Kaan not Khan
It's cool lol. I was just remembering off the top of my head.
Hail to the King, baby.