Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Unofficial Official Debate: Which was better KOTOR, KOTOR 2, SWTOR, SWG, or SWFU?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The Unofficial Official Debate: Which was better KOTOR, KOTOR 2, SWTOR, SWG, or SWFU?

-Arcane-'s Avatar


-Arcane-
02.19.2012 , 09:11 AM | #21
Diablo III
Arcane Nerdherder - GM of Glory Guild on Niman
PvE Completion 10/10 Nightmare 16man - Videos


Gone to Play Diablo III, SWTOR failed.

NinjaRockStar's Avatar


NinjaRockStar
02.19.2012 , 09:12 AM | #22
I have put more hours into SWTOR than any of those games so SWTOR.
pew pew

Puctaman's Avatar


Puctaman
02.19.2012 , 02:59 PM | #23
SWTOR, and yes I grew up on the OT, and played the others.

Darth_Malevolent's Avatar


Darth_Malevolent
02.19.2012 , 04:20 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Gabrielnz View Post
I disagree, since we're all playing the same Imperial Agent just we all played the same Revan and the same Exile.

Whilst some of the smaller decisions may not be canon a lot of the bigger arcs will be. But not everything you did as Revan was canon, I was so dark side I made Palpatine look pleasant and yet in canon Revan was light side...

Off topic, what is it with every single player Star Wars game the canon is you're eventually a nice pleasant fellow. SWFU had so much potential in being Vaders assassin, they really need a game that starts as dark side and ends canonically(sp?) as dark side none of this moral epiphany crap. So in my opinion TOR > all
My point was it wont say Malevolence won the war for the empire on Alderaan, like Kotor would say Revan stopped Malak and destroyed the star forge; it will if anything say a brave Sith Inquisitor who is nameless..... or a broader term like, the Empire enthroned Thul as the leading family of Alderaan and won the war..... hope you understand now
The Dark Side is Omnipotent in this one

Gabrielnz's Avatar


Gabrielnz
02.19.2012 , 07:44 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Malevolent View Post
My point was it wont say Malevolence won the war for the empire on Alderaan, like Kotor would say Revan stopped Malak and destroyed the star forge; it will if anything say a brave Sith Inquisitor who is nameless..... or a broader term like, the Empire enthroned Thul as the leading family of Alderaan and won the war..... hope you understand now
Oh I got ya! For the class lines it will be Cipher Nine and Darth Nox (for IA and SI) defeated thanaton and ascended to the council early or saved the Empire by neutralising Jadus etc. So they will still be personal to a point pending which direction the canon lore goes in regards to the small decisions.

I do see your point about the world arcs and unfortunately there isn't any way to get around that aside from keeping it off limits to 3rd parties and keeping continuity in game only. I will have to say the idea of it being some nameless character fits right into the IA story though, a thankless job without heroics that no one will ever know about.
Let them hate so long as they fear.

AKfourtyseven's Avatar


AKfourtyseven
02.19.2012 , 07:50 PM | #26
1: KoToR
2: Pre-CU SWG

I would love to place TOR on that list, but it doesnt allow the freedom to make me feel like i really can "be my own hero" like i did in SWG and the story doesnt pull me the same way Knights 1 did.

Based on that those 2 are top for me.

Drahh's Avatar


Drahh
02.19.2012 , 07:54 PM | #27
aww man, wheres xwing?

DarthVarrak's Avatar


DarthVarrak
02.19.2012 , 07:59 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Drahh View Post
aww man, wheres xwing?
I was just thinking "No N64 Rogue Squadron love?"
Vendri Aybara, Level 50 Bodyguard Merc
<Because Good Is Dumb>
Iron Citadel

TheLonelyTusken's Avatar


TheLonelyTusken
02.19.2012 , 09:21 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Sirsri View Post
KOTOR, created the story, annoying jedi system.

KOTOR2: this game was never finished, not applicable. Just because they sold it doesn't mean it was finished. Assuming you want to call as released 'finished' it was appallingly terrible, because the game runs out of itself and you suddenly end up with content which isn't in any way connected to the previous content.

Force unleashed: Not even a comparable experience to the others, it's an action game. It's probably the most 'fun' but only because it only lasts about 5 hours. It lacks the depth that any of the other games have which make them interesting for more than 5 hours, that depth means they lack the brief intensity of a FU experience, but they're more sustainable.

SWG: Steaming pile of refuse from launch day until closing day. Other than jump to lightspeed, and that had the same problem as the rest of the game, which was that there wasn't anything substantive to do at level cap. Bizarre mechanics (crafting resources, 1 character per server, no progression past leveling, random profession mastering = jedi... wut?), virtually no players, even from early on, basic broken systems that never worked. It was like a bad copy of UO.

SWTOR: mechanically a copy of world of warcraft so it's hard to call it its own game. Annoying spoken dialogue that only gets more annoying the more you have to put up with it, especially in flashpoints. It seems like the story is inconsistent between players which makes an ever expanding tree of complexity for new expansions, so I'm not sure how they will resolve that.
Jeeze, you seem to dislike a lot of the best Star Wars games ever made.

Also, Op, put Shadows of the Empire in here.
/waveshands

You want to go home and rethink your life...

Sirsri's Avatar


Sirsri
02.20.2012 , 06:24 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by TheLonelyTusken View Post
Jeeze, you seem to dislike a lot of the best Star Wars games ever made.

Also, Op, put Shadows of the Empire in here.
I liked KOTOR 1, but I didn't like the jedi system (mostly because it meant trying to get off the starter planet at level 2 to maximize jedi levels). I liked KOTOR 2 right up until the point where they clearly stopped development that connected the content and just stuck in all of the art assets they'd worked on in a nonsensicle fashion.

Force unleashed is fun, but it's a 5 hour experience fun, it's not comparable to the others.

SWG was tremendously disappointing. JTL had its moments but that was about it.

SWTOR is as fun as WOTLK WoW, because it's a copy of wow, with some regressive 'features' (the unnecessary VO - which isn't all of it, just some places where it gets really annoying really fast, lack of mods etc.). It's fun, but arguably not as fun as it could or should be, and given that it's a copy of another product that was arguably more fun until they decided to announce World of Kung Fu Pandas at War craft.

You have to consider every game against what is, what is is trying to be and what it could be. KOTOR was great but as part of their storytelling they made some compromises on mechanics that didn't work for example. SWG failed at pretty much everything, including crossing small bodies of water where you'd rubber band back. That's a matter of what were they trying to do, and did it come out well, and was what they tried to do a good idea. I could make a star wars game where the whole point is to be a storm trooper who gets killed by a jedi in the first 15 seconds of the game. No mater how well you execute it that won't be fun, on the other hand if I make a game about being a jedi killing stormtroopers where I can't even consistently get to them because of rubber banding is failing at execution.

Lego star wars, star wars battlefront (the series in general) xwing/ tie fighter series were all good experiences for what they were trying to. As was force unleashed, and KOTOR1. KOTOR2 and SWG both failed miserably to live up to what they were trying to be and what they could have (or should have) been. KOTOR 2 did fantastically well in reviews because reviewers glossed over the whole 'game wasn't quite finished part'. SWTOR is better than SWG, in that it does a decent job of being what it tries to be, but what it tries to be is comparatively weak to what it has the potential to be. The Jedi Knight (i.e. jedi academy series) in the same vein of decent but kind of undelivered on potential. Empire at war tried something innovative, and it wasn't horrible. I don't think I played any of the movie tie ins or hand held games.