Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Unofficial Official Debate: Which was better KOTOR, KOTOR 2, SWTOR, SWG, or SWFU?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The Unofficial Official Debate: Which was better KOTOR, KOTOR 2, SWTOR, SWG, or SWFU?

zElmTree
02.18.2012 , 02:30 PM | #1
Which was better?

Rules: None.

All arguments toward you're side are valid but should be backed with evidence why you believe you're game is better.

We are talking story, gameplay, everything!

So which should win Star Wars Game of the Galaxy?

reaperkeepet
02.18.2012 , 02:31 PM | #2
SWTOR. Nuff said. /thread
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth Baras
The cake is a lie, there is only pie, through pie I gain calories, through calories I gain fat, through fat my belt is broken, the recliner shal free me...

Blacktongue
02.18.2012 , 02:32 PM | #3
World of Warcraft
RIP - squadron 1020squadron 367 - RIP
I spent my CE money on beer

DigitalDreamz
02.18.2012 , 02:34 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by reaperkeepet View Post
SWTOR. Nuff said. /thread
Oh look the self proclaimed authoritative figure on closing threads has arrived!

jannickj
02.18.2012 , 02:39 PM | #5
kotor had the story.
kotor2 had the extra options(like create/breakdown and such)
swg had many players
swfu had gameplay
SWTOR had has a little bit of everything. even more in some departments.

what do you prefer?

Emeda
02.18.2012 , 02:43 PM | #6
Didnt play KOTOR or KOTOR2

PLayed SWTOR for about 2 weeks

SWFU? Is that SGW CU? Played that for 3 months decorating my house

SWG played for 2 years because I always had something I saw as fun to do in it

So I would say SWG because I actually had fun playing it and thats what games are suppost to be. Fun
If this game is so great then why do so many people that love the game spend all their time in the forums?

Chessack
02.18.2012 , 02:46 PM | #7
Well they are not really comparable. TOR has a good story but it is kind of spread out amongst all the classes and side quests so you are only seeing parts of it, like the tips of ice bergs in a deep ocean. Little by little you piece the story together, but it seems like it would take at least 4 and possibly all 8 play-throughs (4 classes both factions) to see the whole thing. By the time you did that your sense of the story would be faded from the earlier ones because it would take months and months to do it all.

KOTOR doesn't necessarily have a better story but it has a tighter one that can be played straight through. You see the whole thing, not just your 1/8th of it. And it has a very strong centralized character (you) about whom the whole thing revolves... which simply cannot be true of an MMORPG. KOTOR is tighter and less spread out, so in many ways the story feels stronger, but I'm not sure that it is. Instead, it's just more condensed and streamlined. That's because it isn't an MMO and doesn't have to accommodate all the other stories going on at the same time in the same place.

SWG is another beast altogether. First of all, you have to specify which SWG, because there were three... Original/Launch version, CU version, and NGE version. The CU version was utter trash. I did not play NGE. The launch/original version of SWG was in many was truly wonderful because it was so open-ended and sandboxy. On the other hand, it felt way less like Star Wars than TOR does. They also constantly and repeatedly violated movie canon which drove me up the wall. Sorry, I'm a Star Wars geek. TOR can't really violate canon in the same way because it's set thousands of years before the movies, yet it still seems to be more consistent with the SW universe than SWG was.

If I had to rank these games, I guess it would be something like this:
KOTOR = TOR > SWG > all else

But again this is really like me saying
Apples = Oranges > pears > all else

The strengths, goals, and designs of the games are just too different.

KOTOR 2 was utter garbage though... That I would put at the absolute bottom of any list. Hated it.

Shuno
02.18.2012 , 02:49 PM | #8
Swg!!

SWG Euro Farstar
----------

Sirsri
02.18.2012 , 02:57 PM | #9
KOTOR, created the story, annoying jedi system.

KOTOR2: this game was never finished, not applicable. Just because they sold it doesn't mean it was finished. Assuming you want to call as released 'finished' it was appallingly terrible, because the game runs out of itself and you suddenly end up with content which isn't in any way connected to the previous content.

Force unleashed: Not even a comparable experience to the others, it's an action game. It's probably the most 'fun' but only because it only lasts about 5 hours. It lacks the depth that any of the other games have which make them interesting for more than 5 hours, that depth means they lack the brief intensity of a FU experience, but they're more sustainable.

SWG: Steaming pile of refuse from launch day until closing day. Other than jump to lightspeed, and that had the same problem as the rest of the game, which was that there wasn't anything substantive to do at level cap. Bizarre mechanics (crafting resources, 1 character per server, no progression past leveling, random profession mastering = jedi... wut?), virtually no players, even from early on, basic broken systems that never worked. It was like a bad copy of UO.

SWTOR: mechanically a copy of world of warcraft so it's hard to call it its own game. Annoying spoken dialogue that only gets more annoying the more you have to put up with it, especially in flashpoints. It seems like the story is inconsistent between players which makes an ever expanding tree of complexity for new expansions, so I'm not sure how they will resolve that.

Excise
02.18.2012 , 02:58 PM | #10
KoTOR. Best story, with each planet having a strong central plot to it.

KoTOR 2 had even better story, with fantastic supporting characters that all had their own agendas, but sadly its ending was cut.

KoTOR for the win!