Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Bioware spent large amounts of money on this game. Why are they so lazy?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bioware spent large amounts of money on this game. Why are they so lazy?

rlpirate's Avatar


rlpirate
02.18.2012 , 01:08 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by patatt View Post
Give you a break about what? How D3 has been in production for a longer period of time and yet is not released yet, even though it is a much simpler game in concept? Diablo 3 has been under development since 2001. That's 11 years. You don't even know what you mean when you say the words "do some research."

How about you give me a break?

I'm sorry if you enjoy the fact that EA took something you respect and care about in the Star Wars theme and rushed it. I personally revel in the fact that Blizzard does not subscribe to that business model, which is why they have so many loyal customers.
D3 went through multi revisions since 2001 so to compare it to tor's development is just wrong.

Face it, this game had more then enough time to get it right and if the game took any longer it would have needed to be revised and that would have killed it in development. They blewit.
Swtor needs more pvp

rlpirate's Avatar


rlpirate
02.18.2012 , 01:10 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonAgeOrgins View Post
How much time did they need exactly to release this game, they were going release it six months before they actually did. They said targeting a spring release date and pushed that back. I'm glad I got to play it. But I think they should brought in expert's to work on it 24/7. I don't know how much time they spent on it.

Maybe it's because the engine is so buggy. As they said when they released it, it will likely never be completley finished. I just wish like rift they offered thing's to do other then warzone and do your missions. I currently have a level 44, and a level 50 and I cannot stand to level up again. Same reason warcraft is sinking.
That engine is the heart of the problem.
Swtor needs more pvp

DragonAgeOrgins's Avatar


DragonAgeOrgins
02.18.2012 , 01:13 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by rlpirate View Post
That engine is the heart of the problem.
If someone gave me millions of dollars and I had six figure a year salary. I'd make sure that game ran very smooth. How are people paid millions of dollars and miss something this obvious about the game. Hadn't they worked on the game years before it's release. What were they doing?

Gryphandor's Avatar


Gryphandor
02.18.2012 , 01:14 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonAgeOrgins View Post
How much time did they need exactly to release this game, they were going release it six months before they actually did. They said targeting a spring release date and pushed that back. I'm glad I got to play it. But I think they should brought in expert's to work on it 24/7. I don't know how much time they spent on it.

Maybe it's because the engine is so buggy. As they said when they released it, it will likely never be completley finished. I just wish like rift they offered thing's to do other then warzone and do your missions. I currently have a level 44, and a level 50 and I cannot stand to level up again. Same reason warcraft is sinking.

I am getting ready to do the level up game one more time in Warcraft assuming MoP just doesn't totally kill WoW for me. I haven't played even a minute of WoW in like 2 or 3 months but this current content is rushed and a joke. So it is clear that even Blizz doesn't always take thier time. Not with everything.

This game... Keep in mind I have 2 days sub left as I have decided to wait for this game to be fixed before I continue to play. I have almost 3 lev 50's. One is 45. And like 7 other toons of different levels and advanced classes. This game is a great RPG. I loved the story and going threw the class quests.

The PVP was what brought me here more then anything and I am so disappointed. Ilum is horrible. Same 3 WZs over and over. Loads of exploits and hacks being used to ruin any idea of a far match ion WZs. My time is up for now and this game isn't worth paying another month for when I can't have fun.

TY EA! You should have left these people at Bioware alone and let them tell you when the game was ready. Even if it was the Holiday Season of 2012. I would have waited another year. This game is good enough that with another year of developement it could have been great!

Hannah_banana's Avatar


Hannah_banana
02.18.2012 , 01:20 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by BinxDarkstar View Post
Ancient Greek doctors make you laugh? I believe the word you are looking for is "hypocrites"
Drat, somebody beat me too it.
Army
~En Vin Veritas~
Ajunta Pall

patatt's Avatar


patatt
02.18.2012 , 01:28 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by rlpirate View Post
D3 went through multi revisions since 2001 so to compare it to tor's development is just wrong.

Face it, this game had more then enough time to get it right and if the game took any longer it would have needed to be revised and that would have killed it in development. They blewit.
Oh I know they blew it, but I just think you're very wrong about how it could have been prevented.

Everything good is worth waiting for. Had they been more secretive about development, allowing for less pressure on a release date, creating a greater ability to produce a worthwhile game stemming from production value rather than the fan value of using the Star Wars name, this game might have survived for years to come.

Because they rushed things to make a profit, it won't.

But if you think it's wrong for a company with the largest MMO production budget to go back and 'revise' something, then you really have no idea of the value of money. No one would let the largest MMO production budget to date fail BEFORE PRODUCTION. That's just plain stupid, and if they were truly up against that type of a wall towards the end, then this game was destined to fail from the get go.

Are you so close minded that you really believe an extra year would have killed this game in production? I hear people saying 'have patience with the bugs' on these forums quite often, and while I personally do not have patience for the amount of bugs in this game currently, I would have had at least some form of mutual respect for EA if I had seen them delay the release date in order to fix these issues before they ever occurred.

But now, my 2 month game card is wasted by an unplayable game. I don't think I'm going to put my faith in this company again, seeing as they've already taken my 30 bucks and ran with it.

rlpirate's Avatar


rlpirate
02.18.2012 , 01:48 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by patatt View Post
Oh I know they blew it, but I just think you're very wrong about how it could have been prevented.

Everything good is worth waiting for. Had they been more secretive about development, allowing for less pressure on a release date, creating a greater ability to produce a worthwhile game stemming from production value rather than the fan value of using the Star Wars name, this game might have survived for years to come.

Because they rushed things to make a profit, it won't.

But if you think it's wrong for a company with the largest MMO production budget to go back and 'revise' something, then you really have no idea of the value of money. No one would let the largest MMO production budget to date fail BEFORE PRODUCTION. That's just plain stupid, and if they were truly up against that type of a wall towards the end, then this game was destined to fail from the get go.

Are you so close minded that you really believe an extra year would have killed this game in production? I hear people saying 'have patience with the bugs' on these forums quite often, and while I personally do not have patience for the amount of bugs in this game currently, I would have had at least some form of mutual respect for EA if I had seen them delay the release date in order to fix these issues before they ever occurred.

But now, my 2 month game card is wasted by an unplayable game. I don't think I'm going to put my faith in this company again, seeing as they've already taken my 30 bucks and ran with it.
The reason why it would have died in development if it waited any longer to ship is simple. This game is NOT a next gen mmo. As time goes on industry standards get higher and that would have either forced devs to do major revisions on tor or sell an outdated product and once u start revisioning the game and rebuilding its a slippery slope that often leads to budgets drying up and dev studios closeing/being replaced. Like i said before, 5 years is more then enough.

I
Swtor needs more pvp

AJMTL's Avatar


AJMTL
02.18.2012 , 02:05 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonAgeOrgins View Post
If someone gave me millions of dollars and I had six figure a year salary. I'd make sure that game ran very smooth. How are people paid millions of dollars and miss something this obvious about the game. Hadn't they worked on the game years before it's release. What were they doing?

I see the same group of people (leads usually or project managers) moving from company to company... project to project like cash vampires, sucking the life out of everything they touch.

It's like a mix of politics and unregulated corporate gangsterism.

finetop's Avatar


finetop
02.18.2012 , 02:15 PM | #29
I think SWTOR has a lot to prove in the next couple of patches. If they start to bring some balance to things people will feel very reassured. If they rehash mistakes of WHO I think many are going to bail.

patatt's Avatar


patatt
02.18.2012 , 03:22 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by rlpirate View Post
The reason why it would have died in development if it waited any longer to ship is simple. This game is NOT a next gen mmo. As time goes on industry standards get higher and that would have either forced devs to do major revisions on tor or sell an outdated product and once u start revisioning the game and rebuilding its a slippery slope that often leads to budgets drying up and dev studios closeing/being replaced. Like i said before, 5 years is more then enough.
Your point still doesn't make sense! Who's to say they could not have revised it to become a next gen MMO? If you honestly personally believed that this game was bad before you purchased it, why the hell did you even purchase it?

You're not only failing to prove your point, you're making yourself look highly uncredible while doing so.

This game is not far behind WoW in it's current state, aside from some simple quality of life issues. As to your point of selling an outdated MMO, that's exactly what they just did. And you still bought it. I have no doubt in my mind you would have still bought it 6 months down the road.

Many people were hoping for this game to be a semi-WoW clone with some advances in ingenuity and some good quality of life improvements, which would have been more than enough for the general population of subscribers.

Had they taken say, an extra year, they could have made advances that would have put this far ahead WoW in it's current state. The only thing they would have had to compete against is Mists of Pandaria, which we all know is fanboy fodder for the people who can't break their addiction to the characters they've spent so much time invested in.

Had they released this possibly a month before MoP's slated to release, they would have COMPLETELY stolen the market for MMO players who are searching for a serious MMO, as opposed to panda fluff, without even forcing them to think in terms of a 2+ year advancement on the MMO platform stage.

You're just flat out wrong in your assumptions. They would have had a better game with a longer lifetime had they held out a little longer. The Star Wars Genre has been around since the 70s. You're really telling me that people who have waited 30+ years for something of this stature to appear couldn't have waited an extra year?

That's ridiculous and you know it.