Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Excessive trash mobs

blackdots
02.18.2012 , 10:23 AM | #1
I've played through on a few characters now, and some areas really have way too many mind-numbing and time-consuming (and unavoidable) trash mobs. Specifically, the Rist compound on Alderaan is just painful, and doesn't even offer a side quest for killing Rist soldiers...ugh. After about a dozen fights, I just decided to start running through the mobs and taking the death hit. When it came to the 10 minute revive cooldown, I just had lunch. In dungeons where you have to run back through, and the teleport timer is on cooldown, this frustration can get pretty high. Less trash mobs and more quality fights would have been an improvement, I think.

DarthDemens
02.18.2012 , 10:36 AM | #2
My issue isn't so much with the amount of the trash mobs, but the insanely short respawn timers on some of them, and the fact that some are insanely close together.

Had a point today where I was fighting a Silver. No problem. It's just me (healer) and a tank companion, so our DPS isn't great, but we can't really die. Second Silver pats in. Still no problem. Third Silver pats in. Ok, that's a little ridiculous, and this is now getting to be a serious fight. The group I just finished defeating before this fight respawns, and apparently I'm still in aggro radius of one of them. Entire group comes pouring down on me. Lots of pain.

I'm serious, that group had to have respawned in about 2 minutes. It can't have been more than that. And these aren't even mobs that have to be defeated for some quest, which I could understand having a short respawn timer on. No, they're just generic standing in your way mobs to get to where you actually need to be.

Let's not even talk about the droids in the "Xenovirus Prime" Daily on Belsavis, where you can have the particular pleasure of fighting the same spawn 3 times because of the layout and fast respawn.
Oh, great . you live on in our hearts!
Comprehensive Guide to Space Missions

Appletaz
02.18.2012 , 10:40 AM | #3
I totally agree. You have to fight your way through to an objective, complete the quest, and all the mobs u just killed have respawned on your way back, and now you have to fight all the way through them to go outside... talk about ruining immersion!!

I am like you, as I generally just run through, let my companion occupy them for a bit, and maybe take a death so that I can get out of there.

It really is frustrating. The respawn rate is much too fast.

genpion
02.18.2012 , 10:41 AM | #4
There is no chance that Bioware will change existing worlds; which are fine if you run with a group.
They are already extremely slow on fixing even minor things like the GUI (e.g. resizable comment field in the grouping tool).

But I wish that the mobs would not attack by themselves
and that it would be the players choice to fight or not.

Kabjat
02.18.2012 , 10:46 AM | #5
I was grumbling about this last night to my husband xD.

I was in Hoth. From the nearest travel point to GET to my class quest objective took me over an HOUR just from the sheer VOLUME of trash I had to grind through. I play a Powertech, shield spec so it takes me longer to kill things >.<

But I'm pretty much bulletproof so respawns aren't usually deadly.

BUT DAYUM! So many mobs....just to get to my objective...

*faints*

But hey! On the bright side, at least it was XP, right? >.>
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
Are you playing TOR on an Atari Potato?

Kabjat
02.18.2012 , 10:48 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by genpion View Post
There is no chance that Bioware will change existing worlds; which are fine if you run with a group.
They are already extremely slow on fixing even minor things like the GUI (e.g. resizable comment field in the grouping tool).

But I wish that the mobs would not attack by themselves
and that it would be the players choice to fight or not.

I do just fine solo, and have never found any need for a group. It's just time consuming. But that's what a game like this is supposed to be like.
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
Are you playing TOR on an Atari Potato?

PuntaSur
02.18.2012 , 10:50 AM | #7
I don't mind trash density on the way to a quest objective, but clearing it twice on exit due to rapid re-spawn timers is insane.

It doesn't take an overhaul of the game, just increase the timer for re-spawn on trash that is in the path of quest objectives (caves). If they are trash that drop quest items, keep the re-spawn timers the same in open areas where they can be avoided for ingress / egress to keep the players from losing their minds (numb frustration) while trying to get in and out.

rigormortua
02.18.2012 , 11:00 AM | #8
Ithink the rapid respawn time is for the other players coming into the area. I have seen this way too many times where you have been fighting a mob only to have another toon jump through and start clearing out an area where you playing.
Yeah it can be a trouble thing when your questing but remember would like to wait 30 to 40 minutes before the spawn you need comes back?? remember others are leveling too and need drops for cash plus exp.

genpion
02.18.2012 , 11:04 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Kabjat View Post
I do just fine solo, and have never found any need for a group. It's just time consuming. But that's what a game like this is supposed to be like.
With a group the mobs die within few seconds.
Of course:
- you can do it alone, but then it takes much longer and then you have to rest to full health.
- you do not find anybody to do the solo content as a group with only 20 - 40 players of various levels per planet.

The best solution would be that the mobs would stay passive until attacked by the player.

And yes, it is as if Bioware was afraid about going through the game too fast and so they introduced all kind of time sinks (trash mobs, cover long distances at low speed, running in empty spaces to your space ship, enemies with enormous health bars, ... ).
Korriban felt good because the enemies fell quickly and the distances were short.
The higher the level the more of the same rotations you have to do in a fight and the larger distances you have to cover.

blackdots
02.18.2012 , 11:16 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by genpion View Post
The best solution would be that the mobs would stay passive until attacked by the player.
This would increase the replayability of this game 10 fold for me. I want to see the other storylines, but I just can't bear the thought of doing all those trash mobs again